The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker VS-review

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2008 - 15:42

Parker VS is one of those pens that gets very or no attention but not because of any reasonable reason. This is a fairly big pen, the size of a standard Parker 51.It actually looks like a Parker 51 with an open nib.
The pen feels very sturdy in the hand even more then the Parker 51.
It is a button filler. In my eyes Parkerís Button filler is one of the more successful and reliable filers made. It is not as sexy as the Vacumatic but it is more reliable and simple to fix.
The pen holds a lot of ink and for me is good for more then a week worth of normal writing (almost as much as a piston filler capacity).
The nib is a common GF steel F nib but I was surprised to learn that this is one of the smoothest nibs I own and is very wet. It starts immediately and will start writing with no hesitation even after few weeks of sitting idle. This always is at the top of my writers list and every so often I will take it for a spin and enjoy its wonderful characteristics. The pen isnít heavy, itís about the same weight as a Parker 51 and to me feels similar to the 51 in the hand. I need to add that the nib doesnít feel at all like the 51 just the body in the hand.

For the price of this pen I would say people that looks for a great and reliable vintage pen to use everyday and donít want to spend too much money this pen is worth a second look.

Attached Images

• Picture_011.jpg
  • Picture_013.jpg

Respect to all

Sponsored Content

#2 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:12

I like it more than a 51, it is open nib is very sober and efficient.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#3 piembi

piembi

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2008 - 13:10

I have one of those, too. A black VS. It is a beautiful pen and writes like a dream!

#4 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 14:05

I would agree that the VS is often unjustly overlooked. Please note that the nib is solid 14K gold, not plated steel. As with other Parker nibs made in the USA for the USA market, the norm was for gold content not to be marked.

#5 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2008 - 14:34

QUOTE(Vintagepens @ Mar 18 2008, 02:05 PM) View Post
I would agree that the VS is often unjustly overlooked. Please note that the nib is solid 14K gold, not plated steel. As with other Parker nibs made in the USA for the USA market, the norm was for gold content not to be marked.

The nib is gold ? Are you sure ?
Thats news to me but good news.
Respect to all

Sponsored Content

|