Hello from Pasadena, California, U.S.A.

Goodwhiskers

Using computer mice for many years has made my right wrist sensitive to repetitive tasks. Therefore, fountain pens are delightful when I have to (or choose to) write by hand!

My pens:

Lamy Safari EF (smooth blue plastic) and M (textured charcoal-colored plastic), black enamel nibs,

Lamy Safari AlStar B (grayish coating on the aluminum, smoke-clear section),

Pelikan M200(?) Demonstrator F (clear, gold-plated trim, gold nib; slight jostles loosen the cap!),

Duke Complete Esteem (fine; gold-plated steel nib; brass barrel & cap, ecru enamel),

Hero 329 F (just like a pen I used during a year of college in China and lost; found this one for $5 at www.isellpens.com; green barrel & section; truly aerometric fill with internal tube; happily using!).

Inks I've tried so far:

Sheaffer Scrip Jet Black (the new formula manufactured in Slovenia): OK. Not using now. :mellow:

Sheaffer Scrip Red ("New Old Stock," the U.S.-manufactured formula): OK, but not using now

because Levenger Fireball's intensity has spoiled me. :mellow:

Lamy Blue: OK, but not using now because I like darker blues. :mellow:

Parker Quink (Washable) Blue: too faint for me, even by Lamy Blue standards. Not using now.

Levenger:

Raven Black: truly black & opaque! smooth! quick-drying B) ; can dry-smear months later. :bonk: Not using anymore.

Cobalt Blue: beautiful! smooth! B) not quite as quick-drying; can dry-smear months later. :bonk: Not using anymore.

(Sorry, Mr. & Mrs. Leveen. :blush: I still highly recommend your inks when water risks and dry smearing aren't at issue. They are gorgeous on paper)

Gemstone Green: good color; quick-drying; doesn't dry-smear. B) Using now.

Cocoa (brown): good color; quick-drying; doesn't dry-smear. B) Using now.

Fireball (orange-red): good color; quick-drying; doesn't dry-smear. B) Using now.

Feathering has almost never happened with any Levenger colors,

and only a tiny bit when it has happened.

I've gotten enough bleed-through in laser copier paper and cheap notepad paper that I'm careful not to allow important documents to sit under a piece of paper I'm writing on with Levenger ink. I still like Levenger ink, but after these bottles run out I'm going to try similar colors from Noodler's, waterproof if available.

Noodler's:

"Bulletproof" Black: It's excellent all around! On cheap paper ther's no bleed-through, no shadowing and no feathering; it's almost opaque as Levenger Raven Black, and its waterproof & fraudproof too! Using now. B)

Blue-Black: Very turn-of-the-20th-century, distinctive for recordkeeping today B) . It reminds me of the ink on a letter from one of my great-grandfathers to his son, my grandfather. It's my "blue" now, even though it really isn't blue.

Zhivago: Very cool! B) Not using now, but giving in gifts.

Edited 12/13/2005 to update information, remove a rude smiley and reduce verbosity :blush: .

Edited by Goodwhiskers

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• Mannenhitsu

• Slush99

• Goodwhiskers

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some intro / ink review combination there, GW! Welcome aboard. With an intro like that, I'm sure you're going to be an asset to FPN, so just feel free to chime right in. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Goodwhisker and welcome to FPN! :D

I see you listed your Duke Esteem as your favourite pen right now. I have a Duke 'Mini Torpedo' fountain pen and it is an attractive smaller pen that lays down a nice smooth line. A very good value for the money! I was impressed by the quality of the nibs and am thinking of getting another Duke pen in the future. Maybe when you have a chance, you could do a little review on your favourite pen in our "Reviews" section. No pressure, though.... :)

Welcome to the FPNuthouse! :D

Have fun! Fountain pens are certainly delightful to write with. you can use them for snailing.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

Hi,

Welcome! Just sit back and relax. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Goodwhiskers and welcome to the Fountain Pen Nuthouse :D I am sure that you will love it here and gain a lot of knowledge about pens, and maybe even attend a few pen shows in your area.

It's ironic that you should pick the name of a cat I knew as a child. We had a friendly tuxedo cat that was mostly all black, but had white whiskers on the street I lived on. The girl across the street who found him as a kitten named him "Mr. Goodwhiskers." Kind of like Mr. Peabody and Sherman.

Welcome aboard and...

Happy Holidays!! :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."