Why do people use Ballpoint pens ?

kavanagh

kavanagh, ours is a disposable society. "Use and discard" is the motto. One in which the easiest, simplest form is considered best without regard to character or form. No thought to beauty, art, or style is considered these days. Time has become our enemy that we grapple with daily. As this loosing battle takes place the mind's thoughts turn toward survival and away from deeper more meaningful expressions of self and expression of that self. (sorry if im soapboxing)

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." Final words of General 'Stonewall' Jackson (d.1863) when killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• TSherbs

• mitto

• MYU

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Colleagues,

I cannot understand why people use ballpoint pens.

Can someone provide me with a rational reason - why do people still use ballpoint pens..??

Because sometimes it's the right tool for the job?!? No use jumping through hoops to use a FP when a BP does a better or equal job without the fuss, e.g. thermal paper, chemical treated paper, carbons, envelopes, glossy paper, cardboard, etc.

I could use a slotted screwdriver on a Philips head screw, but I find it much easier to use Philips head screwdrivers.

Just today I found another situation where a BP works better. Try writing on Scotch Magic Tape with a BP and FP with regular FP ink; and for even more fun wipe the tape afterwords with a wet finger.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

There are definitely places where BPs are better. But there is the idea of using the right tool for the job.

Just because you use a BP to write on your moving boxes doesnt mean you can't switch to an FP to write Aunt Fanny or your ToDo list.

For the majority of people a *pen* is a ballpoint, even when it's a Rollerball and those Fountain pen things are either expensive, high maintenence, *snobby* or just plain old fashioned.

I think though if the cheaper pens like the Safari were actually in our local Staples or stationary store more people would be using FPs. Largely it's a matter of exposure. Maybe we should all be talking to our Staples people next time we go to pick up some bagasse paper.

Maybe they could offer and display some Safaris or other inexpensive quality fountain pens alongside the FP friendly paper.

I see it as a spectrum:

Highest Convenience ----------------------------------------> Highest Writing "Ritual"

Ballpoints -> Rollerballs -> Cartridge FP -> Converter FP -> Other FP -> Dip Pens

Same goes for inks:

Dye -> Iron Gall -> Carbon

Edited by Martti Kujansuu

kavanagh, ours is a disposable society. "Use and discard" is the motto. One in which the easiest, simplest form is considered best without regard to character or form. No thought to beauty, art, or style is considered these days. Time has become our enemy that we grapple with daily. As this loosing battle takes place the mind's thoughts turn toward survival and away from deeper more meaningful expressions of self and expression of that self. (sorry if im soapboxing)

wut i dont even....

• 7 years later...

Working off a list. "Type type type, scratch. Type type type, scratch." Uncapping a pen every two minutes is exhausting.

I don't use pallpoint pens. In fact I even do not remember as to when was the last time I used a ballpoint. May be it was in mid 60s to early 70s. I was put to using fountain pens from class III in Primary School. Before that we were supposed to use قلم on تختى (reed pens on wooden sheet).

Here:

http://endangeredalphabets.com/2013/10/the-death-of-the-traditional-urdu-script/

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I don't use pallpoint pens. In fact I even do not remember as to when was the last time I used a ballpoint. May be it was in mid 60s to early 70s. I was put to using fountain pens from class III in Primary School. Before that we were supposed to use قلم on تختى (reed pens on wooden sheet).

Here:

http://endangeredalphabets.com/2013/10/the-death-of-the-traditional-urdu-script/

I prefer a fountain pen 90% of the time, but there are times when they just don't cut it. Working off lists as I outlined above, and as I was reminded this weekend, writing in greeting cards. Montblanc makes an exquisite ballpoint which is usually the direction I go when I need to use one.

Also, some people put ketchup on a frankfurter. Have pity. They don't know any better. Many have found the way here, and have been saved. The others will have to be forgiven. Be merciful.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Because they want to. Because they can. Because they like them.

Plenty of people are not convinced by arguments for the use of fountain pens.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Because they want to. Because they can. Because they like them.

Because they are slaves to populist habits. Because they can do no better. Because their parents taught them no taste.

/jk :)

X

Because they are slaves to populist habits. Because they can do no better. Because their parents taught them no taste.

These few words can do excellent service in answering a number of different questions. One that springs to mind at once is "Why do people indulge themselves in deploring other people's choices, either aloud or silently?" That shoe fits me, too, at times when I know no better.

/jk :)

Not sure about theier being slave of populist habits nor of their parents teaching them no taste, but pretty sure they lack 'the taste'. And, definitely they can do better given the chance to develop 'the taste'. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Thread necromancy is the best necromancy.

The quality of BP pens has improved dramatically since this thread started. While it is still possible to find a BP that takes a lot of pressure or is difficult to get started, anyone who thinks that that is typical of the modern BP experience needs to try one that hasn't been in the back of a drawer for 10 years.

Most people don't give any consideration to the pen they use as long as the pen works when they need to write something. BP pens can be found everywhere for amazingly little money (I dare say that most people don't ever pay for their pens), a BP will last for a long time before it quits working, and, unlike hobbyists like ourselves, the typical person doesn't worry about having multiple writing instruments for different purposes beyond, perhaps, a BP, a pencil, and a permanent marker.

Cheap modern pens of every category have become excellent writing instruments. If you still have a low opinion of BP, RB, gel, or felt/porous tip pens, then you simply haven't been paying attention.

On the other hand, fountain pens require constant attention. We deal with it because we enjoy it, but we are a vanishingly small segment of the population that is willing to actually put more effort into a writing instrument than simply adding lead or swapping a refill. Heck, most people won't even do that! There's a reason why the best selling mechanical pencil in the world isn't even intended to be refilled.

--flatline

Not sure about theier being slave of populist habits nor of their parents teaching them no taste, but pretty sure they lack 'the taste'. And, definitely they can do better given the chance to develop 'the taste'. :)

I don't know, that's really only a fair thing to say if literally every other finite detail in ones life is done with a focus on style. You can love your fountain pen but if you rock rubber soled shoes and white socks then you may want to hold your comments regarding taste. Just saying. I for one, am definitely not the the most stylish guy out there but I do love a stylish pen.

I still use BP pens because there are times when I still must write a check these days, and I have the duplicate type of checks. Or I must fill out other duplicate or triplicate paperwork. FPs are beyond useless for that task.

I use BPs (mostly Uni Jetstreams or Signos) for anything that requires archival types of ink so that there is no fricking question about things I've signed, and zero worries about someone trying to erase my signature or change what I wrote for the most important documents. This is true for checks and assorted legal/medical documents I deal with. FPs are usually not the best choice for these tasks.

I use BPs for postcards or to address mailing envelopes/labels, because, honestly, FPs are less than ideal for that purpose. I used to work for the USPS as a mail processor. Name the kind of mail that can be sent, and I handled it at some point in my career. That's why I know better than most of you how poorly FP inks behave in the mail system. There are ways around it, but they aren't always convenient, or they aren't always practical in the moment. BPs are.

I keep BPs on hand for tests on cheap paper in my college classes. Professors these days usually use both sides of a page for exams. I don't want any questions at all arising about the legibility of my answers.

I don't do the above things often enough to cart around an FP loaded with iron gall ink. That's stupid for me. Better to have some knockabout BP on hand for those tasks than letting iron gall rot one of my FP babies.

So there are lots of reasons to keep and use BPs, because FPs are not the right tool for every writing task.

I see it as a spectrum:

Highest Convenience ----------------------------------------> Highest Writing "Ritual"

Ballpoints -> Rollerballs -> Cartridge FP -> Converter FP -> Other FP -> Dip Pens

Where do you place felt tips along this continuum? I don't mind those though I hate ballpoints, and have one dip pen that I never use because I don't find it nearly as rewarding as FPs.

I always thought people used ballpoints because otherwise they wouldn't have enough pressure to make the carbon copy without tearing the paper....

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On the other hand, fountain pens require constant attention. We deal with it because we enjoy it, but we are a vanishingly small segment of the population that is willing to actually put more effort into a writing instrument than simply adding lead or swapping a refill. Heck, most people won't even do that! There's a reason why the best selling mechanical pencil in the world isn't even intended to be refilled.

--flatline

The disposables and inexpensive ones (like the Preppys) don't require constant attention. I've gotten a number of people hooked who asked me about the pen I was using. I give Varsitys away to people who are curious.

Of course, I've been wondering how long it will be before people no longer know how to write with any pen given current dictation and prediction software.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence