Speeno 1013

Larry T

This is my first try at a review, so please bear with me. The pen I'm reviewing is the Speeno 1013. I purchased two of them from Norman at hisnibs.com(no affiliation,just a very happy repeat customer). I know, why would you write a review on an eight dollar pen? Well, I've never run across anything quite like it before, and It's so darned neat!

The pen is tiny, only about 3 1/8 inches(82mm) closed and capped. Removing the cap reduces it's length to about 2 7/8 inches(75mm). To make it usable, the outside of the barrel telescopes to increase uncapped length to about 4 1/4 inches(108mm). The barrel is a thin 5/16 of an inch(8mm). I don't have a scale, but it is a lightweight considering it's solid, all metal, chrome over brass construction. The cap screws off, but it doesn't post. The pen fills by built in aerometric type filler. Bottled ink only for this pen.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/ircameraman/Speeno1.jpg

The picture above shows the pen closed and capped, open and uncapped, and includes a Pelikan M215 and a Pilot VP for size comparison.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/ircameraman/Speeno2.jpg

This picture shows the nib. Norman calls it an extra fine, but both of mine write more like an Asian fine. I have to tell you, I was VERY impressed with the way the first one I tried writes. It is perfectly smooth with excellent flow and no skipping no matter how fast I pushed it. I figured that I had a ringer, no way an $8 pen is going to outwrite my "real" pens. So I inked up the other one. I can't tell them apart by performance. I filled one of them with Duke blue-black, and the other with Duke black ink. Nice inks, good flow, but I can't tell the colors apart.

Since I bought them I have carried the pen in my front jeans pocket. You hardly know it's there, but it's ready at a moments notice. In case you haven't figured it out by now, I am a big fan of this pen. Norman sold out of these very quckly, but according to his website, he should have some more soon. If you have never dealt with hisnibs.com before, I'll tell you that Norman is right up there with the best when it comes to customer service.

Thanks for looking, any feedback about my review is welcome.

Larry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• His Nibs

• Larry T

• chupie

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat looking pen. Add a break-away chain and you can wear it around your neck easily. Not a bad $8 purchase.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

cool pen and nice review speeno...that's one small pen! is it uncomfortable for you to write, let's say, one page of writing? just curious, as i just bought a kaweco sport pen that i thought i would carry around with me in my jeans pocket, but it gave me cramps big time. also, what are those things your pel and vp are resting on?

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

Hi Dave. The pen is very thin. I would not be comfortable writing a page or more with it. I always have a full sized pen with me, so that isn't a problem. I just use it for quick notes, or as a toy in meetings. For something so small, it really begs attention. It's rare for me to take the Speeno out of my pocket without someone asking about it. It's worth the money for that property alone, exposing other people to a neat FP.

The pen rests were a gift from my daughter. One of her friends is a glass blower. The company is called Royal Glass Makers LLC, and their website is www.royalglassmakers.com.

Thanks for the kind words about my review.

Larry

Great review - glad to hear it. I'm on the wait list myself for 2.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I was one of the lucky ones to get one in the first wave - it's a very fun, cute little pen, with a high gadget factor.

But... I'm one of those people who have trouble with threaded things. They always unscrew themselves when I'm not looking.

I had mine on my keychain, and the barrel came loose and unscrewed itself.

Somewhere. Not in my apartment. The cap stayed on, and if I don't mind using it without the barrel, it's still usable. :doh:

I'll probably get another one because it IS a wonderful little gadget of a pen. And the next one *won't* be with my keys.

Hi,

I hear that it is thin and small, so I put myself on the waiting list a few days ago. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Thanks for the great review Larry.

I've got a couple of these 'lil pens on order too. I'm almost never without a fountain pen, but now I'm set for sure.

Norman is a good pen dealer I've bought from him before. :)

All the best,

Edited by krz

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

I just got two of these spiffy 'lil pens in today's mail :) One for me, one for my son. (he'll get his in his stocking..) They are really cool little pens!

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

Hi,

Norman says that they are back!!! Now I am just hopping up and down...

I want it NOW. :lol: (Well, not really, I can wait. :))

Well, he is now filling out hundreds of orders of the little things, so he is very busy now.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

very cool - looks like a perfect stocking stuffer for some of my family. guess I'll have to get on that list, too. My Grandmother would have loved this - it is her Bantam set that my sister had restored and my mom gave to me. she loved tiny collectibles - especially those that actually functioned.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

My Grandmother would have loved this - it is her Bantam set that my sister had restored and my mom gave to me. she loved tiny collectibles - especially those that actually functioned.

Hi,

Me too! I saw it and I couldn't resist.

But my own grandmother always goes for the biggest things she can find...think BIGGEST ballpoint pen, BIGGEST earrings, BIGGEST handbags, and so forth.

Dillon

Dillon

Peter, I have carried a Fisher bullet bp in my left front pants pocket for years. I replaced it with the Speeno. I really like having a fountain pen with me even if I don't have a shirt pocket or jacket to carry one in. It's also fun to play with.

Maja, So many people on this site talk about the M200 and VP that I figured they would make good comparison pieces.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my review. I debated(and agonized) over posting it, but I just had to tell all the good folks at FPN about this neat little pen. I figured for eight bucks you couldn't really go wrong. I just hope Norman is up to filling all the orders. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Me too! I saw it and I couldn't resist.

But my own grandmother always goes for the biggest things she can find...think BIGGEST ballpoint pen, BIGGEST earrings, BIGGEST handbags, and so forth.

Dillon

:D

That may be generational. My gram died in the mid 90s and was in her late 80s. I think women who grew up a little later than here were into the big button-like ear "bobs" as my MIL called them, and things like that. And my MIL had the big bag, the huge overstuffed wallet...

My gram collected Avon perfume bottles - cool little miniatures of all sorts of things. I have a couple of them, wish I'd been able to salvage all of them though I don't know where I'd have put them. :)

drifting way OT so to get back On topic - I ordered some from Norman. Now all I gotta do is *not* keep one. Could be difficult.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi,

By the way, Norman even has a link on his site to this review. Check it out!

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

My review is coming next.

To say a few short words:

1. Be sure that you press the bar and count slowly to 5 or else, you will get some bubbles in the sac. Repeat 4 to 5 times.

2. The filler has a clear breather tube in the middle of it--a lot like the Parker Vacumatic.

3. The telescoping mechanism is really good

4. Be sure to cap it when it is telescoped and retract it once you have finished capping it.

Dillon

Dillon

My Speeno is a perfectly usable lil' pen. Fill 'er up with Noodlers Black and away we go!

I was afraid it might be so small that it might not be very usable, more of a novelty.

But Huzzah! :D It writes well and is a nice little pen to draw with. Kudos to Norman and "His Nibs".

All the best,

Edited by krz

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?