Simichrome Polish

Shangas

So, can I ask again if any has used Symichrome on the plastic barrels? And results? Or is it advisable to get the Tryphoon kit? Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• Ondina

• OnPoint

• skybird

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As stated in other posts----All polishes work by removing a bit of material and rendering the surface "smoother" so the naked eye can't see the minute scratches. Use a high powered magnifier--40X and above and you'll still see some. I've used Simichrome on all kinds of plastic pens--Esties, Parkers , MB's, Pel's, Waterman's, Wearevers the like and it does well. I apply it (after smoothing with appropriate grits of sand/emory paper---up tp 12,000 grit--the plastic will look smooth but dull) with a square of cloth that has a little tooth--piece of cotton T shirt-- and do a rub. Then with another clean cloth square of similar kind, hand rub it off. Yes, it can collect in crevices but it's easy to remove with an even toothier cloth (like flannel or corduroy)--or a super soft well used old toothbrush--and then rub/wipe down. It removes metal tarnish on plated furniture well---one has to be gentle---and sometimes just use the finger(s) to apply it. It will remove GP on gold washed items---if the wash is very thin---one must know what one is working on. I'm sure that others will have other recommendations but S. works well for me and hasn't destroyed/damaged anything (in 10+ years). As a old hair cream commercial said--"a little dab will do ya!". How big is a dab? For me, about 1/4 or less the size of a small green pea.

As stated in other posts----All polishes work by removing a bit of material and rendering the surface "smoother" so the naked eye can't see the minute scratches. Use a high powered magnifier--40X and above and you'll still see some. I've used Simichrome on all kinds of plastic pens--Esties, Parkers , MB's, Pel's, Waterman's, Wearevers the like and it does well. I apply it (after smoothing with appropriate grits of sand/emory paper---up tp 12,000 grit--the plastic will look smooth but dull) with a square of cloth that has a little tooth--piece of cotton T shirt-- and do a rub. Then with another clean cloth square of similar kind, hand rub it off. Yes, it can collect in crevices but it's easy to remove with an even toothier cloth (like flannel or corduroy)--or a super soft well used old toothbrush--and then rub/wipe down. It removes metal tarnish on plated furniture well---one has to be gentle---and sometimes just use the finger(s) to apply it. It will remove GP on gold washed items---if the wash is very thin---one must know what one is working on. I'm sure that others will have other recommendations but S. works well for me and hasn't destroyed/damaged anything (in 10+ years). As a old hair cream commercial said--"a little dab will do ya!". How big is a dab? For me, about 1/4 or less the size of a small green pea.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'll give it a try.

• 2 months later...
....It is a time-consuming job to eradicate all that residue, especially on hard rubber pens that should not be exposed to water. I'm also concerned about the effects some of the ingredients might have on plastics.

I've just used it on a few old Wearevers with wonderful plastics (the abalone(ish) chips pattern), as well as a carmine striped Sheaffer, and I think it has dulled and darkened the color, so I would love to know how you get it off! I've got two of the abalone chip Wearevers, and I've only used Simichrome on one of them, the difference is painfully apparent -- the chips in the treated one look mostly green now.

I'm thinking of trying the Tryphon museum wax (or similar name) -- any experience with that?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Gretchen

• 2 months later...

I received a tube of Simichrome yesterday and after first try I am amazed how well it works. I tried it on a Parkette that was entirely black, and when I say "black" I mean every bit of it was black - the shell, the clip, the lever and trim. Now everything (with exception of the shell which remained black) shines happily. Wow.

I may be late to the party here but--

Simichrome is a polish meant originally for motorcycle, car, and bicycle type finished metals. Usually this is plated stuff like chrome handlebars, bumpers, and the like. I have used it with wonderful results on my the bright work of my bicycle collection. The paste uses abrasives to scrape away a small layer of surface material which has become oxidized or tarnished. If you run long enough you'll remove plating and the like. You want to be gentle with this stuff.

There are those who love it and those who loathe it. Both make some valid observations. Simichrome is what I'd call a fairly mild polish. It does have a noticeable abrasive effect, but it isn't as harsh as other products I've encountered, like Brasso. On the plus side you can do a very nice job of polishing certain materials with it, without causing undue damage. On the minus side it can, and will, leave a nasty residue (usually taking the form of a dry, white-ish crud). If you don't remove the Simichrome paste or get in a spot you can't reach it will indeed turn to a nasty crud that can be somewhat difficult to remove. I've had the same problem with automotive polishing compounds as well. I can vouch that the residue, if left on or not removed is bad and ugly stuff.

I have used Simichrome on pens, but I use it sparingly and with extra caution. You ARE removing material when working with Simichrome, so go easy with it. If you use a lot, then you will make a mess and get that nasty white crud residue. I don't advise against using it per se, but I do advise restraint and caution when working with any polishing compound, regardless of how mild it may seem. You may want to explore other alternatives to polishing compounds as well. It's an option, but not a cure-all. It can causes problems and is not without risk.

Edited by Ray-Vigo

Never cared for it on chrome, preferred Bon Ami in the block form.

But it was very good for restoring the shine to polished aluminum on the bike.

Of course YMMV, and I always recomend that people go very carefully on anything that will polish.

Best of luck........

YMMV

I spend about an hour yesterday with a 14kt GF Cross Century Classic FP, Simichrome and some flannel. I think I went over the whole pen 3 times checking it closely with the eye after each go around. The pen was in good shape with just some usage microscratches. The results were remarkable. The pen looks very close to brand new now.

Bruce in Ocala, FL