The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Charleston Ebony BLack with Gold

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 griffin2020

griffin2020

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 19:55

pens_1.jpg

1)First Impressions: What first drew me to this particular pen was that the nib looked to be finer than most of the others in the store. I usually write on small notebooks of 3X5 cards, so I need to be able to write small and most medium nibs will not allow that. Since the only pen store in the Dallas area very rarely carries F (and never carries EF) nibs, my original plan was to order something from Pam Braun. However, once I touched, hefted, and wrote with this pen (dipped), I was hooked. The pen came in a blue leather presentation box enclosed in a white (recycled) cardboard sleeve. The top of the box has the Waterman name and logo embossed in silver. Inside the box was a single ink cartridge, and there was a converter in the pen.

2)Appearance/Finish: The body is shiny black, with gold rings. The section is black plastic (resin) over a brass core, and the threads that mate it to the body are brass. In the center of the length (capped) is a wide gold ring etched with “Waterman”, “France”, and some art deco style “key” etching. Flanking each side of the wide ring are a pair of narrow rings (one on each side), and four channels in the resin. Both ends taper slightly, and the clip spreads out to become the end cap with the stamped hexagon and Waterman “W”. The only finish issues that I can see are very faint mold lines on the cap and between the section and the ring bands. This pen has a simple, slightly understated elegance.

3)Design/Size/ Weight: The main components are injection molded plastic. The nib is 18k gold (18K 750), and the rings, bands, and clip are gold-plated. Some of the internal components are brass, and give the pen a slight heft. It is not a heavy pen, but it has a nice weight in the hand. This pen is smaller than either the Lamy Safari or the Retro 51. Its dimensions are 13.2 cm capped, 11.8 cm uncapped, 14.5 cm posted, and 4 cm in diameter.

4)Nib Design & Performance: The nib is a medium, but is (in my uneducated opinion) a little on the thin side. This is an advantage to me, as I need/want a fine line. It is 18k gold. It is buttery smooth, with a bit of flex. I do not know details on the feed materials or fit. All in all, it is a great writer, with a semi-juicy, but fairly fast drying line. I loaded it up with PR Orange Crush, and am very impressed so far.

5)Filling System: This is a CC pen. Not much to say about that. I have only loaded the converter once, and had no issues with that. Considering that this was my first attempt at filling a pen from a bottle, I am happy with it.

6)Cost/Value: At $165, this is my most expensive pen purchase to date. I could have gotten it cheaper online, but I am okay with what I paid for it. Even at full retail, this seems to be a good value. My only choice for B&M pen stores in North Texas is Paradise Pens. One of the employees is very knowledgeable, the others not so much, but they are enthusiastic, polite and friendly. I enjoy shopping there, I simply wish they had a larger selection of nib sizes (the entire world does not revolve around M nibs).

7)Conclusion: I absolutely love this pen. It is the smoothest writing FP I have used to date. I would go back in an instant and make the same purchase. However, I made this purchase yesterday, and I will have to see how I feel about it after writing with it for longer. I cannot see this opinion changing, as I wrote quite a bit last night.
pens_2.jpg

Sample.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Treehugger

Treehugger

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 22:02

I have this same pen in Ivory. My mom bought it for me before she died last Dec. Besides having a special meaning it is an excellent writer. It quickly became my favorite. Enjoy thumbup.gif

#3 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 22:34

Nice pen and good review. I like the straightforward points of detail in your description.

Thanks

#4 blak000

blak000

Infallible to a fault

• Member - Gold

• 820 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 22:45

Very classy looking pen! I'm glad you like it.
An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

#5 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 21:16

The Charleston is a classy and good writer pen that IMHO is quite underrated. The design, nib and performance makes this pen one of the best values for your money out there.
Thanks for posting the review. Very nicely done.

#6 Univer

Univer

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,444 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 21:57

Hi,

Thanks for the review. I have to agree with the other positive comments about this pen. I picked one up on a whim, even though it wasn't a model I was actively seeking (one of those "too-good-to-pass-up" deals), and I've been extremely pleased. Nice balance, flawless fit and finish, good looks, and a really excellent nib: just a touch of softness, superlatively smooth, and absolutely indifferent to the paper it's scribbling on.

I wish all my modern pens - even (especially?) the ones whose price dwarfs that of the Charleston - were as good.

Cheers,

Jon

#7 griffin2020

griffin2020

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 18:00

That is one thing that I am very surprised with, this pen absolutely does not care what it is writing on. I have used paper ranging from cheapo copier paper to Rhodia pads (used in the test) to Moleskine Cahiers, Journals and Reporter Pads. On the thin paper of the Cahiers, I get very, very light feathering, but absolutely no bleed-through.

#8 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 16:04

My ivory Charleston is one of my daily writers. LOVE IT. Congrats on a nice addition to your collection.

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

#9 asamsky

asamsky

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 16:24

Excellent review! I also have it in ivory, and it's one of my absolute favorites - the 18K nib is amazing. I think it's one of the best values out there.

#10 RwsRichard

RwsRichard

RwsRichard

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 13:49

I guess better late than never for a reply.

I have had the Charleston ivory pen w/fine nib, for about a year now. I absolutely love it. cloud9.gif

When I first bought the pen, $100 at Office Depot outlet, it came with a Medium nib. It 'felt' too wide for me so I sent it back to the service center here in the US. They sent it to France and there they replaced the M-nib for a F-nib. It took about 4 weeks turn-around. They did not charge me anything for this service and I was very happy. The only money I paid out was the cost to ship it to the service center. They shipped it back overnight at their expense - WOW!!

The F-nib 'fells' very nice and the pen writes extremely smooth with no dribbles, smears or runs. I am a southpaw, by the way. smile.gif

I do not keep the cap on, because the first time I used the pen, I had a very hard time keeping the cap on and it feel on my wooden floor a chipped a very small piece of the ivory off. So I no longer keep the cap on. This does not effect the balance of the pen at all. I feel very comfortable with it.

The only drawback I have was with the Waterman ink. I had bought a Waterman ink well bottle and some cartridges for the pen. I accidently dropped some water on a paper that I was writing and got upset cause the ink 'ran everywhere'. So I have recently ordered some Noodles Black foolproof ink. I will let you know how it works out.

I also have a Lamy, and a Retro 51. I enjoy them but not as much as the Charleston.

#11 Scribero ergo sum

Scribero ergo sum

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 21:46

Good, thorough review.

Since I am considering buying a Charleston, I wanted to double-check on detail: the barrel diameter is stated as 4 cm, but that was meant to have been 1.4 cm, correct?

A diameter of 1.4cm seemed about right for the pictures of the pen, which appears to be a nice, thick-bodied pen.

Thanks.

#12 UsFour

UsFour

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 16:03

[quote name='RwsRichard' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:49 AM' post='582469']
I guess better late than never for a reply.

I have had the Charleston ivory pen w/fine nib, for about a year now. I absolutely love it. cloud9.gif

When I first bought the pen, $100 at Office Depot outlet, it came with a Medium nib. It 'felt' too wide for me so I sent it back to the service center here in the US. They sent it to France and there they replaced the M-nib for a F-nib. It took about 4 weeks turn-around. They did not charge me anything for this service and I was very happy. The only money I paid out was the cost to ship it to the service center. They shipped it back overnight at their expense - WOW!!

The F-nib 'fells' very nice and the pen writes extremely smooth with no dribbles, smears or runs. I am a southpaw, by the way. smile.gif

I do not keep the cap on, because the first time I used the pen, I had a very hard time keeping the cap on and it feel on my wooden floor a chipped a very small piece of the ivory off. So I no longer keep the cap on. This does not effect the balance of the pen at all. I feel very comfortable with it.

The only drawback I have was with the Waterman ink. I had bought a Waterman ink well bottle and some cartridges for the pen. I accidently dropped some water on a paper that I was writing and got upset cause the ink 'ran everywhere'. So I have recently ordered some Noodles Black foolproof ink. I will let you know how it works out.

I also have a Lamy, and a Retro 51. I enjoy them but not as much as the Charleston.

I know this is a little late in the game, but since you switched to a fine nib, would you be able to post an example of how it looks -- by that I mean a writing sample?

Thanks!

happyberet.gif

#13 jotterius

jotterius

ebonite junkie :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2011 - 20:10

how do you clean your charleston?
Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

#14 Dutchpen

Dutchpen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2011 - 19:52

The only finish issues that I can see are very faint mold lines on the cap and between the section and the ring bands. This pen has a simple, slightly understated elegance.

i just bought a brand new blue charleston with chrome trims and a medium nib for just €40 via a local advertising site, there was a original leather pen pouch includes.
the mold lines are visible, also the injection point is visible at the bottom of the pen, i think it makes the pen look cheap. i'll try to polish them away.

after some starting problems the pen have a good flow now and writes smooth.
beside the mold lines i really like this pen.

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

Sponsored Content

|