Dani Trio Matte Ebonite Mikado Review

Titivillus

There's another review of the raw ebonite Dani Trio that says all the good things about this particular style. And I posted a comparison picture to a 149 & Visconti Titanic.

Being an engineer here are some dimensions:

Capped: 6-3/8" long

Posted: 7-1/2" long

Nib: 1-1/16" long (visible)

Nib width: 3/8" wide

Barrel width: 11/16"

Cap width: 3/4"

This isn't a frou-frou pen built more for looks than for action. Just like a Lamy 2000 is Bauhaus with it's form following the function this pen looks like something that was made at the turn of the century to write and write it does. I would never think of posting this pen as it is a handful even without but the slight curve to the barrel fits my hand the same way that the Grandtrio did.

The color reminds me of old clarinets or vinyl records with a warmth in the hand that is very pleasant. You can see the lathe marks but that in no way detracts since even with it being a dull finish it still reflects enough light to catch some highlights. I can see that over time the natural oils in my hand will most likely begin to change the surface to maybe one with some lusture. Almost the reverse of the lacquer clearing as the act of writing changes the surface of the pen.

The cap takes six full rotations to open so this is not a pen to just pull out and take quick notes but a pen that from the filling to the writing causes you to slow down and enjoy the ritual of writing with a fountain pen.

It is an eyedropper filler and takes nearly 3 full droppers to fill it. There is also a cutoff valve so no fear of airplane travel

All in all a rather pleasant pen to write with. As I have 8 letters to write I will see how long a tank of ink lasts and also see how the larger Dani Trio nib flexes.

If I were to grade it I would give it a 4.995/5 as I do not think there is a true perfect pen out there but this one comes close

Kurt H

Edited by Tytyvyllus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• winedoc

• Maja

• emrecan

Thanks for the review Kurt.

Would love to see some close ups if you get a chance.

I know you have enough on your plate right now.

What are you fueling it with?

For a given nib size,do Dani nibs produce a line width similar to American or Japanese pens?

Also curious if you can write rapidly with that monster?

Have fun,

Jeen

Thanks for the review Kurt, but I think the score should be 4.995/5 right? not 4995/5, as that will be more than perfect :lol:

I have a supply of Densho, Takumi, Mikado here and is going down the wait list. Should have more in another 10 days or so to fufill orders on my list. For those who does not wish to wait, I think Joe has them for sale too. No wait for the Takumi cigar c/c shape, and the Mikado Clipless version. Thanks.

Best,

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Wow, this sounds like a nice pen!

Since I am newbie when it comes to these lovely pens, could someone please enlighten me as to the material used. Specifically, is the material and finish on the Mikado the same as that on the "Densho" model reviewed by The Noble Savage here?

As for the shape, is it the same shape as Karin's regular Dani Trio Mikado?

Thanks in advance,

~Maja

Wow, this sounds like a nice pen!

Since I am newbie when it comes to these lovely pens, could someone please enlighten me as to the material used. Specifically, is the material and finish on the Mikado the same as that on the "Densho" model reviewed by The Noble Savage here?

As for the shape, is it the same shape as Karin's regular Dani Trio Mikado?

Thanks in advance,

~Maja

Hi Maja,

Yes, it is the same material as the Densho, black raw ebonite. Kurt has the clipless version, and it is the same shape as Karin's Mikado Tamenuri. Thanks.

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Thanks for the quick reply, Kevin. I am having trouble remembering all these names like "Tamenuri" and "Densho"....I am used to the confusing name combinations that Sheaffer gave some of its (now-vintage) pens...still getting used to Dani Trio model names... :lol:

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the review

Take Care

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

I have received many email asking for sizes of these pens and asked to see the pens next to a well known pen for size comparision. So, here you go. To make this as non-commercial as possible, there will be no discussion of prices here. I have my early Dec. allocation right now and is going through the list and will have more later. I think Joe is also selling these and he does not have a wait list, so if anyone on my list decided they don't want to wait and would like to purchase from Joe, that would be perfectly fine, but please just be kind to let me know and I'll take you off my list. Thanks.

The top is the MB 149 75th

Next is the Takumi c/c filler (essentially the same size as the MB149)- I have 2, no wait list.

Then the popular Densho ED (slightly longer, but thinner than the MB149 and the Takumi)

The last two are Mikado ED with clip and without clip. I have one without the clip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Urushi/tn_DSC06535.jpg

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

And how much is the clipless Mikado ED in raw ebonite? Since this is essentially my dream pen at the moment...

http://katexic.com/clippings/

Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

Guest Denis Richard
To make this as non-commercial as possible, there will be no discussion of prices here.

Well, Kevin... you know where we are, and where we are not :D I think a price list would be nice :)

I see why the Densho is the most popular. Very elegant and proportionate !

Edited by Denis Richard

Oops, missed the comment about prices. Can we access pricelist online? Could you private message one to me?

http://katexic.com/clippings/

Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

To make this as non-commercial as possible, there will be no discussion of prices here.

Well, Kevin... you know where we are, and where we are not :D I think a price list would be nice :)

I see why the Densho is the most popular. Very elegant and proportionate !

A price list would be nice and I'd suggest that it be posted in the Marketplace forum along with the very useful pic by Winedoc.

Kurt H

thanks for the review, kurt. is this a pen you would (or could) take out of the house to work?

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

thanks for the review, kurt. is this a pen you would (or could) take out of the house to work?

Nope this is a pen that's going to stay in the house.

My work has too many solvents that would probably leave only the nib!

Kurt H

Seeing the photo above comparing the pens, could we get a photo of these alongside a Namiki Emperor and a Sailor King of Pen? Now that would be a sight!

Edward T.

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

Seeing the photo above comparing the pens, could we get a photo of these alongside a Namiki Emperor and a Sailor King of Pen? Now that would be a sight!

Edward T.

Isn't the King of Pens about the same as a 149? I have in the photos a pic with a 149 and a Titanic.

Kurt H

Edward T.

Hi, I don't have a Sailor King of pen anymore, but an Emperor or Mikado will out size the King anytime. Here are the comparison pics of some big pens on the market.

Base on lenght from left to right: Namiki Emperor, Loiminchay forbidden city, Nakaya Kiku, Danitrio Mikado, Delta Napoleon, Signum Palladio, Pilot bamboo, MB149, CS Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Urushi/tn_DSC05215.jpg

Base on Girth where you hold the pen, from left to right: Namiki Emperor, Danitrio Mikado, Delta Napoleon, MB149, CS Churchill, Loiminchay, Pilot bamboo, Nakaya, Signum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Urushi/tn_DSC05216.jpg

Base on size of Nib: Left to right: Namiki Emperor, Danitrio Mikado, Loimnichay, MB149, CS churchill, Pilot bamboo, Delta Napoleon, Nakaya, Signum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Urushi/tn_DSC05217.jpg

The top 4 nibs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Urushi/tn_DSC05219.jpg

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Thank you so much, Kevin, for posting the photos; they will be extremely helpful for anyone comtemplating a pen purchase. With Christmas around the corner, I am curtailing my more expensive pen purchases (nice try, Karin ;) but the Danitrios you sell are indeed lovely.... :)

Oh and I forgot to thank Kurt for his review---thanks Kurt!

Fantastic photos! I agree that such photos are immensely helpful, and come closer to handling the pens themselves.

Thanks for the help,

Edward T.

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal