Do you own multiple pens of the same model?

TMann

So here's a question for you all: Do you own more than one pen of a given model? In other words, do you have multiple Parker Sonnets, Pelikan m200's, etc.? Or do you prefer to try out lots of different pens, and just keep one of each model?

The reason that I ask this question is that I noticed last night that I am starting to form a number of little "mini-collections" within my overall pen collection. I have two different Parker 45's, two different Parker "51's", three different Parker Sonnets (with one more on the way!), and seven different Sheaffer Imperials, (one of them is a RB.) In regards to the 45's, the 51's, and the Sonnets, each pen that I have has a different nib style. So it makes sense to keep multiple versions of the same pen. But with my Sheaffer Imperials, three of them are all fine nibbed pens. Do I really need ALL of those Imperials? Wouldn't it be more useful to sell some of them and use that money to purchase another FP? Perhaps a vintage pen of some sort?

What do you guys do? Do you all collect multiple examples of the same pen model? Or do you try to "spread out" your purchases between different pen models?

TMann

(I thought that I had seen this topic address sometime recently, but I couldn't find the thread. I apologize if I'm asking a question that has already been addressed...)

Edited by TMann

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rowdy

• Johnny Appleseed

• JimStrutton

• tooloose-letrek

Hi,

I have three Vectors, two Ici Et Las, three 45s, a good number of Sheaffer cartridge pens, Two Sailor Ha-Su-Ka-Rus, and seven Reflexes.

The Reflexes are a focused collection, I am thinking of selling them all, and they have to go together, but I have held off because it includes my first fountain pen. Maybe I would sell them and keep my original...but with all the years I spent looking for them...

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Still early in the game, but I have two Visconti Van Gogh Maxi pens, although one is the older model and one is the newer. There are a number of folks here that have considerable collections in certain areas - a few come to mind right off hand:

Brian Anderson and his Esties

I'm sure PenHero has numerous Sheaffers - but I don't know specifics

Wim and his Stip Etrurias

Agamemnon and his Targas

KCat and her Pelikans

Dennis B. and his Pelikans

and I'm sure there are many others that I just can't recall or know of. Basically, it's whatever floats your boat (and doesn't break the bank)! :D

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I seem to duplicate the ones that I really like: I have about six Sheaffer Preludes, had three Sheaffer Craftsmans, two Pelikan M200s, and am considering more of each, with different nibs (all the Preludes have extra-fine nibs, actually, so I'm thinking of having at least one converted to an italic) and different finishes. If I like the balance of the pen in my hand, I will want more of them, but different colors for different inks.

I have three black matte metal Parker 25s, but it was through no choosing of mine. I think one was bought for me and the others may have been business gifts to my dad.

I also have two Expert IIs, a green marbled one and another blue. I got them only because Iliked the first one and the price was incredible ($19.95).

well, if ya didn't see my picture of my pel flock - check it out in Pictures forum. (The Flock)

So - i own uh.. 4 200s, 2 400s and one 620. I can see myself expanding that line-up easily.

I have two VPs and can also see having several of those some day.

i do have 4 Esties but they're all different models.

thus far I haven't found any other pens that I'd like to own multiples of and prefer on all my other pens to just have one each.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I have 4 Waterman Expert IIs: One FP, 2 Rollers, 1 MP -- all different colors.

and a set of red Waterman Phileas Ballpoint and MP (a gift)

In total I have 5 FPs, 3 Rollers, 2 MPs and one Ballpoint.

I plan to have mostly FPs of different types, makes, and periods as well as some sets of modern FPs / RBs / MPs and perhaps some BPs with Capless RB refills.

For sets I like to have each pen a different color, so that I know what is in it without opening the pen.

Louis

I vote for having everyone send me their 'doubles' (or 'triples')as I only have one,1, uno, ein FP to my name. This way I build up my collection and you simplify yours. It's a win-win, a no-brainer! ;) B) :eureka:

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

I like to get some variety, either in the pen or at least in the nib. The closest we have come to duplicates is with our waterman carenes. Both are medium. Mine is an amber shimmer and my wife's is a blue. We have two of the Pelikan city series, a Chicago and a Piazza Navonna, but one is a medium and the other a medium italic. All the rest are only one of that pen.

With that said, I expect that as I get and use more pens and nib types, I will begin to develop some favorites. Once that happens, I can see getting multiples of the same pen with different nibs. Other than his/hers pairs, I don't want to start collecting multiples of the same pen/nib combinations. But, I probably will anyway.

Only Two sets of multiples:

3 Sheaffer Legacy 2s

- Copper Fine Nib

- Gold Medium Nib

- Platinum & Gold Fine Nib

2 Sheaffer Intrigues

- Black & Gold Medium Nib

- Silken Bark Italic Nib

Almost time to double up on the Pelikans.....

More than I need, of course, but all that glorious ink needs to live somewhere. :lol:

Lamy

- 2 Safaris (a light gray and a dark gray, one a M, the other a F)

- 3 Al-Stars (one green, one blue, one dark gray, 2 Fs and 1 M)

- 1 Vista (F)

(I list all of those because they are the same design, just different colors/materials. I just love that design - it fits my hand and the way I write perfectly.)

Pelikan

- 2 200s (a trans red and a clear, one a F, one a M)

- 1 400 (a honey tortoise, a M)

Parker

- 2 Parker 51s (a black M and a blue F that's at R Binder's at the moment - the blue is part of a pen and pencil set)

Shaeffer

- 3 No-Nonsense from a long time ago (2 Ms and an italic)

Shaeffer

Not sure it counts, but I have both a fp and a rb in Levenger's South Seas design. I could not pass up the gorgeous purple or the teal.

Lots of singles of this and that, but if I like writing with a specific kind of pen I (obviously) like to have more than one. :)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

I have to say, I collect quality pens in general, not only FPs - and I'm not ashamed of BPs and RBs in regular use :lol: :lol:

I also swap sometimes - even with tricks, where necessary - FP and RB sections and their respective bodies : variatio delectat

And some pens - of which I like the looks - are not ergonomic FPs, while I can use them well as RBs, so I normally won't buy a FP.

I have a Parker 75 golden 'Milleraies', a 75 matt black and a Premier 'Athenes', between which I tend to swap two FP sections and a RB section.

There are six of the classy Caran D'Ache 'Hexagonal' (not 'Ecridor'), a Gold/black laquer RB, a RB and a BP with golden Barleycorn (in daily use), and, as my rare special favourites (but unused), a FP, a RB and a BP in golden 'Fleur de Lys' (Royal Lilies).

The last five (discontinued variants) are possibly remnants from the Cd'A factory, as I aquired them unused and 'naked' from a place near Geneva.

The 'Hexagonal' FP section is too slim and only good in female hands. I keep it as a future present ... ;)

Also there are three elegant S.T. Dupont 'Montparnasse' pens, a dark blue Chinese laquer FP and a silver plated/gold accent RB between which I swap sections, and a silver plated/gold accent BP.

There are the Cross 'Signature' pens, RB, BP and Pencil in gold with black laquer stripes (here the FP sections are also too slim for me). Some Cross Centuries do exist, also.

Furthermore, a Waterman Man 200 Night&Day FP silver plated with black stripes is accompanied by a Night&Day RB gold plated with black stripes.

Finally, the 'Pelikan Anniversary' FPs from 1988, a silver Barley M750 and a gold Barley M760, both with the scratchiest nibs I own.

The M750 leaks somehow (invisible) through the section and stained fingers when used since it was new. And the Pelikan service found nothing :(

PS: the gorgeous orange-yellow Aurora Optima 'Sole' FP and BP (not a set) let the sun shine into my heart. :)

Edited by saintsimon

Generally I don't do that, collect duplicates of the same pen. However, since I discovered what a perfecdt pen the Sailor is for my writing style (I currently have a 1911-M "F" and a 1911 "MF") do would love to get another 1911 with an "F" and another 1911-M with a music nib.

Does that count?

Only pen I have more than one of are Sheaffer's. About 12 Snorkels, and 2 Balances (wait 3).

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

More than one of the same model? Hmm, lessee here...

Eversharp Skyline, 5

Esterbrook J, 2

Sheaffer Balance, 7

Parker Vacumatic, 11 (including two branded Diamond Medal (Sears house brand)

Parker "51", 9

Wahl Bantam, 5

Sheaffer Touchdown, 3 (two fat, one TM)

Parker striped Duofold, 5 (one is BF, others are Vac filler)

Sheaffer Imperial, 3 (including a Holly Pen)

Sheaffer Snorkel, 3

Eversharp Symphony, 4

(Sheaffer) Wasp Clipper, 2

Parker 61, 2

Inkograph 70, 2

Sheaffer Lady Crest, 2

Eversharp Fifth Avenue/Sixty Four, 4

Waterman Taperite, 5

Parker VS, 3

Sheaffer Tuckaway, 8

Wahl Eversharp Doric, 2

Parker "21", 4

Hero 100, 3

It would appear that I have more than one of quite a passel of models. :)

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Confession time:

~20 Lady Sheaffer Skripserts :blush:

~30 Parker Sonnets (from XF to italics) :o

~40 Parker 45s and Eversharp/Parker 45-like (such as Parker 19, 10,000 words etc.) :D

~50+ Esterbrooks (I need to get rid of some) :bonk:

~15 Drexel pens, combos and pencils :)

~25 Flat tops (~10 Mortons, 5-6 Diamond Point, 2-3 Diamond Medal and some no namers) :blink:

~25 Osmiroids :blink:

~7 Vacumatics :doh:

~6 Parker 51

~8 Waterman Ripples 2 52s, 54, 55, 7 Purple, 7 Pink, and 2 pencils

anywhere from 4 to 8 Parker 41 Debutantes, Balances, Snorkels, TDs, NNS, Impressions and many in the 2s and 3s...

"Kyrie Eleison" .....

Edited by antoniosz

I've five Rotring Cores and two each of the Sheaffer Triumph and two Parker 51's (although one is an aero, the other a vacumatic).

I like the Core because each of them writes well, they're rugged, and, well, different.

George

Pelikan Convert and User