• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• kpkelsey

• Motomo

• xena

Top Posters In This Topic

That squares with my experience with the Charles- most inks perform very well in it.

I plan to test the supplied ink to see if it is carbon black. I suspect that it is, and that the vendor simply supplied my with a dozen cartridges of ink that are not suitable for the pen. This is a bad thing to do, because it could put someone less persistent than myself off the pen, and then they would miss out on what could easily be the best value in writing instrument available today. I intend to obtain some non-carbon blacks, like Noodlers HOD to try in these pens, and to test the supplied in in other pens that I know work very well. If the situation is as I suspect then the suppliers of these pens, of which there are very few, would do well to give sample cartridges in blue. Do you have a list of inks that you have tried in your Charles. I do not even know the manufacturer name of the supplied black cartridges, but I can so far vouch for Monte Verde ink in them.

Regal Curio Enterprises Co., Ltd. (Taiwan) has been making pens since 1979. In their price range, they rival many other manufacturers. One of my favourites is the Regal Oxford Tortoise. It weighs in at a whopping 46.3g.

They have dealers here in the US and their customer service in better than average.

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae250/smuckers8/RegalOxfordTortoise.jpg

-- cuza

Regal Curio Enterprises Co., Ltd. (Taiwan) has been making pens since 1979. In their price range, they rival many other manufacturers. One of my favourites is the Regal Oxford Tortoise. It weighs in at a whopping 46.3g.

They have dealers here in the US and their customer service in better than average.

-- cuza

I have that same model and I love it. It's one of my favorite pens. It is hefty, but that's one of the things I like about it.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their life a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - DE PROFUNDIS

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae250/smuckers8/RegalOxfordTortoise.jpg

-- cuza

This is actually the pen I was trying to get myself, but finding one, then finding a supplier who would ship it here is like finding hens teeth. isellpens is perpetually out of stock. There are a couple of internet stores, but they will not ship to my location. To get the examples I have been testing, I had to buy them in Tokyo, and they could not get me either the Oxford or Cambridge. Despite the fact that many people seem to take a snobbish attitude to Chinese made pens, the Regal line are very desirable pens. I intend to "torture" test one and see how well the finish and function holds up.

This is actually the pen I was trying to get myself, but finding one, then finding a supplier who would ship it here is like finding hens teeth. isellpens is perpetually out of stock. There are a couple of internet stores, but they will not ship to my location. To get the examples I have been testing, I had to buy them in Tokyo, and they could not get me either the Oxford or Cambridge. Despite the fact that many people seem to take a snobbish attitude to Chinese made pens, the Regal line are very desirable pens. I intend to "torture" test one and see how well the finish and function holds up.

BigAl,

I believe that the Oxford might be discontinued. That may account for the difficulty in finding one. Try John at ipenstore.com or Todd at isellpens.com (according to his site, he's currently sold out).

You mention the "snobbery" that exists regarding pens from China. It is unfortunate, but this is true. Most pens from the PRC are low quality...but they are improving. Look at Kaigelu or Jinhao. Regal is made in Taiwan where the quality is much higher than the PRC. They use European acrylics and nibs. Laban pens are manufactured in Taiwan and they are very good quality.

Good luck on your Oxford quest.

-- cuza

Edited by cuza

BigAl,

I believe that the Oxford might be discontinued. That may account for the difficulty in finding one. Try John at ipenstore.com or Todd at isellpens.com (according to his site, he's currently sold out).

You mention the "snobbery" that exists regarding pens from China. It is unfortunate, but this is true. Most pens from the PRC are low quality...but they are improving. Look at Kaigelu or Jinhao. Regal is made in Taiwan where the quality is much higher than the PRC. They use European acrylics and nibs. Laban pens are manufactured in Taiwan and they are very good quality.

Good luck on your Oxford quest.

-- cuza

In addition to the Regals that I did manage to get for testing, I also have Kaigelu waiting to be tested and reviewed. I am quite familiar with the genesis of Chinese fountain pens. Even during the Mao era they had a small number of excellent pens, that were never exported, but were for use by high level functionaries, so I am interested in seeing how they have taken modern western ideas and translated them into something they can produce en masse. At one time eye candy outweighed functionality in a major way over there. There is no doubt that their quality control is improving, for export items. The average quality we see marketed in the west is substantially higher than has traditionally been available to their own people. To get an idea of what is sold inside the country, buy a blister 10 pack of Heros, which are frequently on sale on eBay. In addition to Kaigelu and Jinhao, Some higher end Bookworm are worth considering. Also some Duke pens look as if they may be appealing. So far I have not tested a Baoer that I would consider keeping on my desk.