Regal fountain pen

tulipa

I have seen some cheap and nice looking Regal fountain pens on ebay. Does anyone have any experience using them?

thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• kpkelsey

• Motomo

• xena

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
I have seen some cheap and nice looking Regal fountain pens on ebay. Does anyone have any experience using them?

thanks.

I've had the regal oxfords and the mini ann, I originally liked the look of the oxford harvest and I've always wanted a mini. They came pretty quick (from isellpens.com, no affiliation). The little mini writes a nice medium wet line and its in my note box which I made, I've since ordered a mini in blue, to make another note box with mini pen for a gift! My oxford wrote super smooth and I use it mostly for drawing as the nib is too broad for my tastes, it's the broadest nib I've ever used! But had a slight accident (dropped it, bent everything...) tried to repair the nib myself and made a worse mess, but I liked it enough to order another one, this one is the sapphire blue, but the color isn't as lovely as the harvest, so I'll probably just unscrew both nibs and swap. I also ordered a cheapo $8 model for my son to use, nothing exciting there. HTH. Debbie

• 11 months later...

Do NOT buy any Regal fountain pen. I just bought one, and it had a faulty nib. It scratches like Hell.

Do something else with that money... trust me.

I bought a Regal Windsor a couple weeks ago. I wanted to test a Chinese pen and I thought it looked nice for the price. It feels very nice in the hand. The weight is just right for my large hands. It looks very nice. It is a slow starter. I have to wet the nib to make it go. Once it has started it is a nice wet writer, that draws a very smooth medium/broad line. The line width is surprisingly broad for a Chinese pen. I suspect that the cartridges that came with it may be the problem with it being slow to start, and when I have finished the current cartridge I shall insert the converter and try it with an ink that is know to be free flowing. The fact that it is slow to start is my only complaint, because once it has started, it is smooth and fluent. The nib is quite attractive and for the price I paid, I am generally happy with it. If you can afford a few dollars more, try a Kaigelu. I bought one from isellpens (no affiliation) and I have nothing but good to say of its performance, and only trivial nits about appearance.

I got 2 of them over Christmas time and they're pretty cool. Nice weight, and they look great for the price (I got mine for about 2 bucks each, shipped; model unknown). I haven't had problems with mine starting at all, but they're really smooth! I was surprised.

-- Moo

I have several and I love them. They write very well. The only issue I've had is with the regal converter, but you can use a Parker converter in some of them. Very higly recommended pens.

I have quite a few regal pens (cambridge, elizabeth, lane, george, and another one that escapes me) and have had no issues and find that they are a smooth writer and decent value for the money.

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

Are they heavy?

Pelikan M800 - Green, M (want to trade for a F!)

TWSBI 540 - Amber, M

Bexley Corona - Orange, M

Parker Duofold Centennial - Black, M

Esterbrook LJ - Black, Gregg 1555 (EEF)

Parker 21 - Navy Blue, M

Sailor 1911 Large - Black, M

TWSBI 580 - Clear, M

Aurora 88 Large - Black w/ silver trim, Stub

Parker 51 - Burgundy, M

Gate City Pens New Dunn - Black, Stub

Conklin Endura - Green, M Italic

Are they heavy?

I have a Windsor it feels like there is a lump of lead in the cap. With the cap on it feels heavy. The uncapped pen is not heavy. It is a nice weight and size. I use mine unposted and am quite happy with the feel of it. The reason I use mine unposted is not the weight, but I do not want to push the cap on the back of the pen hard enough to make it lock into place.

My Cambridge is quite heavy, but I like that. Very substantial. I also like that the cap posts by screwing on. Neat feature.

My Cambridge is quite heavy, but I like that. Very substantial. I also like that the cap posts by screwing on. Neat feature.

It screws on? I am not familiar with the Cambridge. I shall look out for one. I prefer pens where the cap screws on to cap it, and would definitely like one that screws on to post.

It screws on? I am not familiar with the Cambridge. I shall look out for one. I prefer pens where the cap screws on to cap it, and would definitely like one that screws on to post.

I'll try and post a picture tonight. It's quite unique.

I'll try and post a picture tonight. It's quite unique.

I just tried to buy one, but the vendor does not ship to my location BAH! :crybaby:

Are they heavy?

My Elizabeth and Cambridge I would say are medium to heavy...the Lane, George, and Oxford are much more on the light side

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

Are they heavy?

My Elizabeth and Cambridge I would say are medium to heavy...the Lane, George, and Oxford are much more on the light side

i'm an illini, and i'm trying to get past the fact that you are associated with two of our most hated rivals. i love regal pens, so it helps that you have good taste!!!

Are they heavy?

i'm an illini, and i'm trying to get past the fact that you are associated with two of our most hated rivals. i love regal pens, so it helps that you have good taste!!!

I live in Buckeye land I am not one of them...my father finds, who still lives in Michigan, finds much humor in the fact I live in Columbus

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to do a formal review of Regal pens. As I mentioned above I did get a Regal Windsor, which I thought had a ink flow problem. To verify if it was the specific pen, I ordered another identical one to test. I am also anticipating the arrival at some future date of a Cambridge. The only one I could source, the vendor would not ship to my location. When I have received one, I will compare it with these. In the case of the second Windsor, it also showed the same problem, that when I used the supplied cartridges, it would require wetting the nib to make it go, then it would continue to write, nice wet and fluent. The next thing I did was to discard the supplied ink and replace with Monte Verde ink cartridges. All of the problems just disappeared. So it is the supplied ink that comes with the pen that is at fault. With a freer flowing ink, the pen writes effortlessly and smoothly, and starts instantly every time. Now that I have established that it is the ink and not the pen that is a problem, I shall next (after using up the cartridge) replace it with the supplied converter. The Regal pens both came with a green colored cartridge converter, with the brand name Regal printed on it. I will then test all Regals I have managed to acquire with different inks. However, in the meantime, it is apparent that if the right ink is chosen for these pens, they are smooth, effortless writers, that are very nice in appearance, but a bit heavy in the hand if used posted. If used unposted, they are simply really nice pens for the price. The weight in the cap gives a sense of substance and quality, when the whole pen is held. The extra weight is not necessary, but feels nice, and I like the sense of heaviness, the whole pen has. The rhodium plated nib is large and nicely engraved and has a look of a quality item. These pens have a very pretty multicolored body, which I think looks very nice in the hand. I get the impression that no two are exactly the same in appearance, because of the way in which the acrylic bar has been formed and machined. The general color of the body tends to red, but contains blues, blacks, browns and greens in various combination. So far, I think these pens represent the best value in terms of price/performance I have tried, but I do not have long term experience, so cannot say how the appearance or plating will stand up over the long term.