The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Postal scales vs. kitchen scales?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chud

chud

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 22:44

Has anyone ever measured the accuracy of postal scales compared to kitchen scales? I don't have a postal scale, but I have a Salter electronic kitchen scale that I usually use to see if I'm over an ounce on thicker letters... so far I've never had a problem, but it just occurred to me to wonder how accurate the various scales out there really are... has anyone ever checked, just out of curiosity? smile.gif

Sponsored Content

#2 Paddler

Paddler

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:01

I have never really checked my kitchen scale. It is a spring scale and as such, is probably not worth checking. Such scales are illegal here for use in trade.

You could probably have your county auditor check your scale. All that is necessary is to put an accurately measured weight on the platform.

You might be able to make your own standard weight if you or a friend shoots and reloads ammunition. There are 7,000 grains to a pound or 437.5 to the ounce. A reloader's powder scale is typically accurate to 0.1 grain. That would get you in the ballpark.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

#3 Lifesaver

Lifesaver

A bowman lost in time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:20

I've got a reloader's scale. It came with a weight to check it. It is very accurate. I think I paid about $25 for it through one of the big catalog companies, Midway possibly.
Posted Image

#4 Possum Hill

Possum Hill

It's just ink. Get a grip.

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 15:12

QUOTE(chud @ Mar 2 2008, 04:44 PM) View Post
Has anyone ever measured the accuracy of postal scales compared to kitchen scales? I don't have a postal scale, but I have a Salter electronic kitchen scale that I usually use to see if I'm over an ounce on thicker letters... so far I've never had a problem, but it just occurred to me to wonder how accurate the various scales out there really are... has anyone ever checked, just out of curiosity? smile.gif

If you are referring to a postal scale you might by for home use, I think there's a good chance the same scale mechanism/electronics would be used in both postal scales and kitchen scales.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -- Winston Churchill

#5 succubus

succubus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 16:21

I also have a digital Salter kitchen scale, and I think that would be accurate to within a gram or two. (Mine only reads out even numbers: 25.6 g, 31.4 g, etc.) I trust it more than the mechanical postal scale I have here at work.

"Life is too short, or too long, to allow myself the luxury of living it badly."
Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho
Posted ImagePosted Image

Sponsored Content

|