Tried out some different Lamy nibs.

RaymondvW

I ordered a bunch of nibs for my Lamy Accent from the writing desk in the UK.

I ordered an EF, F OM and 1.1i. My Lamy came with a MK nib.

I think the F (I know, very plain :embarrassed_smile: ) will become my favorite nib for this pen. I don't like the OM at all, it's scratchy, has a narrow sweet spot and lays down a very dry line. The EF is just a bit too narrow for my taste, but otherwise works well. The 1.1i is a lot of fun. I puts down a very wet line (cool!) and produces some nice line variation. If I ever start to practice different styles of writing, I'm sure I will have a lot of fun with this nib.

The MK nib that came with my pen is also a nice nib, bit a bit too wide for my taste.

For just a few pounds each, those nibs are a steal. And a nice introduction to different nib-styles :)

I'll probably order the other 5 styles (I'll skip the LH nib) sometime in the future too.

BTW: This week, I started using black ink again. I think I found my ideal ink for my waterman pen! Simply waterman black :D My waterman has a F nib, which combined with waterman black gives a real nice line. I've used it for writing the summaries for my statistics course. It works really well with all the squiggely lines etc. Quite a surprise.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Cullen

• RaymondvW

• Wino In Training

• biffybeans

Thanks for the comments. I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates them.

As far as the Fine nib and the MK nib, would you say they are as smooth as any other nibs you have? Is the Lamy F or MK as smooth as Pelikam 800 nib or a Duofold nib?

I am just curious, because there are many users who really like Lamy and praise the quality of the nibs, but I never really know what they are comparing them to. If someone had used only an old misadjusted nib and then suddenly got a $3 Sheaffer school pen, he might think the school pen was the height of smoothness.

I know when I first started using FPs about twenty four years ago, I thought I was in heaven when I went from a Rotring Art pen to a Waterman Laureat. While I think the Laureat is a very nice pen, I would now say its nib is nice but not exactly in the same class as an Omas nib. On the other hand, I think the Danitrio steel nibs I have used are as smooth as my Waterman 100 nibs, so I do know that price is not everything.

I know it is all personal, but having had a wide variety of experiences usually makes one's judgement more accurate. Any more comments are appreciated. j

I have a very limited collection of fountain pens. I also have a Waterman Hemisphere and a Parker 25. My Waterman Hemisphere originally came with a m nib, but I exchanged that for the f it has now. That m nib was the smoothest nib I have ever used, even the man in the store noted how nice it wrote. Sadly, m is too wide for my writing, so I exchanged it. The f on the lamy is comparable to my waterman and parker. No tooth, and maybe very slightly scratchy. It's more something you can hear than feel. The lamy ef is noticably scratchy, but it's also writes a very fine line. The lamy mk is a nib that's been designed for people who haven't used a FP before. It's smooth, but has no feedback at all. It also has somewhat more friction than the other nibs, which makes writing with it a little tiresome. I think that makes it instantly recognizable to people who are used to BP and RB pens :)

I'm really pleased with the f nib. It has just the right width for my taste, puts down a reasonably wet line and writes smoothly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a 1.5i yesterday.... fun nib! Have to be careful which paper/ink combination to use with it though as it is really wet.... bleeding can be an issue. But the shading..... oh, the shading! Private Reserve Orange Crush is beautiful with this nib! I'm even getting a bit of an outline effect with it. The line variation is obviously great, too.

Any chance you could post a sample of writing with the 1.1i nib? Is it hard to write with? Do the edges get caught on the paper at all?

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Any chance you could post a sample of writing with the 1.1i nib? Is it hard to write with? Do the edges get caught on the paper at all?

Here's a sample on Rhodia pad paper with my 1.5i with PR Orange Crush. The edges can get caught - especially since I'm a lefty - but on this paper it's pretty smooth. Have to watch the sweet spot.

Despite the scan, there really is no feathering - it's a bad scan.

Lamy_1_5_with_Orange_Crush.pdf

You say you found the OM nib to be scratchy and to put down a very dry line. I'm just curious -- when you wrote with the OM nib, did you rotate the pen counter-clockwise a few degrees so that you would get the nib's sweet spot in contact with the paper? If you write with an OM holding the pen the same way you'd hold a round-tipped nib, you might well find it scratchy and too dry because you'd only be writing with one tine and the slit would be slicing into the paper. Writing with an oblique nib takes a bit of practice and experimentation. The trick is to rotate your thumb down (the slit of the nib will be pointing up and to the left at a diagonal rather than straight up at the ceiling). You will know you've got it right if a diagonal line from upper left to lower right is fat and a diagonal line from lower left to upper right is thin. Straight horizontal and vertical lines should be about the same and should be an "average" of the fattest and thinnest lines at the extremes.

If you already knew all this, they you probably just got a scratchy, dry OM! If not, try it and report back.

Mike

Here's my sample of the 1.1 nib in comparison with some other italic-style nibs that I have. I hope this link works:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twelveblueiri...729412/sizes/l/

The Lamy 1.1 is shown at the top and at the bottom of the page.

I find it very easy to write with it, but then again, I'm used to using cursive italics and stubs. I think it's pretty forgiving as italic-type nibs go. The edges on my Lamy 1.1 are fairly rounded in comparison to crisp italic nibs and even to some cursive italic nibs that I've used before, so I don't find that there is any edge to get caught on the page. I've never tried the 1.5 nib, so I can't compare the experience of writing with that nib.

The i.1i is a really great, easy-to-use nib, suitable for daily writing. It doesn catch the paper easily, unlike Sheaffer stubs.