Baystae Blue -- Life Isn't Fair

arsimoun

Sorry but this is a common experience with Noodlers ink!!

"Common"? Among other Noodler's users? Or among your pens? I use a lot of Noodler's and have never had an issue.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I am not a number

• Deirdre

• Stephen-I-am

• MikeLip

This ink is alkaline and I've read it is not for mixing. Maybe that pen was not clean from the previous ink and the mix precipitated in the feed. I've had no such problems with the noodlers before. The Britannia blue waves was dry and unusable unless diluted with water or other ink, but it did not clogged my feeds.

I was wondering that very same thing. I'm not a chemist, so I am clueless. I love the color though, so I'm thinking "dip pen"! :)

Been using BSB in a Black ! Pilot 78G Medium nib for two weeks. Don't use everyday, starts up every time. The pen was new so no other ink left in. Should have, but didn't, rinsed the pen/filler sac to get out any factory gunk. Only thing noticed, on some upstrokes the ink flows thinly, almost skipping. Since this is a new pen I don't know if this pen is shy on flow, something to do with the flow of the ink or my lack of proper new pen cleaning. Have several 78Gs and there is little variation on ink flow, most being perfect. My best pen, ink flow, being a 78G Med, with Swisher (Noodlers) Glacier Blue. Feelings like I'm writing with a perfect "51". BSB just a hair less, that first upstroke thing. First down stroke no problem.

Very happy with ink performance and color.

This morning the BSB ink had dried in the feed of my NoNonsense, and the pen wouldn't write. A quick trip to the faucet and a few seconds of rinsing and the pen started up again. The plus is that it took exactly three strokes before the color was back to its full splendor. Most inks take a page of writing before the wateriness is gone. Makes me think the dyes in this ink must be extraordinarily concentrated--even compared to the other twenty-seven Noodler's inks I have.

Last night I was at a reading for Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational and writing very quickly with my Mont Blanc Noblesse Oblige, and I noticed that when I press harder the ink seems to flow better, but the lines are not as smooth.

In addition, before I went I tried dipping the tip of the pen in water, and all I got was pale, watery writing for a while. How deeply is one supposed to dip?

-Jake

Well, I just got my bottle today and have inked up my Pelikan M200 with a stub nib that I ground for it. I prefer wetter writing nibs, and feel that Noodlers in general are geared towards this. Love the color, the pen started up immediately and so far so good.

I did ensure that the pen was spotless before loading the new ink, even to the extent of ultrasonically cleaning the nib for a few minutes to ensure all other ink was gone.

I will see if it gives me problems going forward, but honestly being a tinkerer/repairer the issues mentioned above really don't make me want to give up on the ink. I can adjust the nib for flow issues so that isn't going to bother me at all. It the pen stains, well so be it. That is why it is not currently in my Omas 360 Magnum or my OS Vacumatic. If it is a hard starter, then I will dip the nib to get it going, but I don't forsee that being an issue with it in this pen.

BTW, the feed in a Namiki Vanishing point is plastic. I find that my VP dries out alot if not used at least weekly, and as I currently am enjoying other pens it might be a while before I get the BSB in my VP.

Cheers,

Sean

PenRx is no longer in business.

I've had BSB in a blue Sheaffer Valor (fine nib) and a black crosshatch Pilot Elite (Japanese fine nib) for nearly three weeks now with no problems. The pens start right up even if left untouched for a few days. YMMV

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I cleaned out thoroughly, and then cautiously inked a F Pilot II with BSB yesterday. This nib is super dry and a little scratchy so after enjoying the colour for a day I decided to try a teensy nib smooth & floss (my second on this particular pen. The colour was gorgeous in a super fine line, but with a little more flow and width it is wonderful. Too early to predict whether the pen will choke or anything, but WOW, that is SOME BLUE!

Complete and utter chicken that I am, I had more or less given up on this ink until I happened to think about dip pens. I mentioned the BSB controversy to my daughter (who loves FPs, loves BSB, but is keeping it out of her cherished pens) and she reminded me that I have a half-dozen Hero 100s ( Parker 51 ripoffs) still in blister packs. I had forgotten about them. So I inked one with BSB and tried it. It writes beautifully in the Hero. Some bleeding, but works well. I put the pen aside and opened it again this morning. There was ink everywhere. So while I am not certain if it's the cheap pen, the tendency for Noodlers ink in general to creep, or BSB in particular, I packed it in. I tried to clean the ink out of the pen, but with the hooded nib it was just about impossible.

I am heading out to an art supply store this weekend - I'll see what they have in the way of dip pens.

On the other hand, I was VERY impressed by the ability of the Hero to write very well and smoothly! I have 5 more - I'll have to try a different ink!

Ok, I have been inked up with this for over 24 hours now, and I still love it. If it continues to perform as it has it will be my go to ink for all my pens soon.

I was really surprised at how vivid it is, and how well it is flowing in my Pelikan. It actually seems smoother than other inks in the same pen, I cannot describe that well, but that is how it feels to me. I think that this ink really benefits from a fast flowing pen as I have tried it in an Italic that one of my clients has and it did not perform the same. It skipped slightly and was a bit hard to start. That same pen works perfectly with Quink or PR American Blue, so I don't think the issue is the saturation level of the ink.

Anyone in or around Toronto should hurry in to Sleuth and Statesman to pick up a bottle. They only had 20 come in and I got one of them. I may be reserving another bottle soon though, if this ink keeps performing as it has.

Cheers,

Sean

PenRx is no longer in business.

I've gone slow with the BSB I purchased at A Pen Lover's Paradise in Virginia Beach, VA. So far so good. The owner warned me about potential staining so I started off with the ink in two pens I like to write with but would not bemoan for too long if ruined. The Pelikano Jr (nice blue color almost matches the ink) is working fine! The ink has been in there for over a week and I have used it on various types of paper with no issues. I left the PK sitting around for about 48 hours picked it up and it started writing on the first stroke! So far so good!!

So for the time being I have the BSB in the Pelikan Jr using a Pelikan converter and all is well. Definitely not going to put it in my Cedar Blue 51 Vac.

IMO, the Pelikano Jr. is probably the best pen to test just about any ink in. You can completely disassemble the Pelikano Jr. so if it gets clogged you don't have to spend an eternity trying to get the clog out with soakings, etc. I test all of my ink mixtures in a Pelikano Jr.

Been using BSB in a Black ! Pilot 78G Medium nib for two weeks. Don't use everyday, starts up every time. The pen was new so no other ink left in. Should have, but didn't, rinsed the pen/filler sac to get out any factory gunk. ....

I recently bought some Pilot 78Gs and they did not write well at all. So I soaked them all in dish detergent and then flushed them. They worked fine after that. So I really endorse cleaning those out before use. I refill cartridges so I didn't bother with the converters.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

After about a week of experimenting around with BSB, I have both a positive and negative data point to report:

1) My Parker 51 Vac, having been inked with BSB for 6 days, and having being unused for 4 days, started up perfectly with a wet electric line on the first stroke.

2) My MB 32, having been inked with BSB for 6 days and unused for 3 days, had experienced some drying and required a good deal of scribbling to get back to normal functioning. However, it did not require me to add any solvent to get it running again -- scribbling alone eventually did the job.

Neither pen has dried out with any other ink while capped, in my experience.

The Parker will continue with BSB, the MB is about to get flushed and mothballed for the time being.

The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. -- Tacitus

How deeply is one supposed to dip?

Try not to go beyond elbow deep...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I have it for about a week and a half in my Sheaffer Balance II Aspen. No problems to report. No clogging and a consistent, good flow in this pen. It is a medium to broad nib and a wet writer. I like it. Perhaps they sent me the export quality :thumbup:

I use a converter in this pen and yes, the transparant plastic is not so transparant anymore, but if that is all the negative there is to report, its ok with me. But what a wonderful color it is !!. With all the negative reports, I stay away from filling my vintage MBs with this ink, nor any vintage pen in a color (black pearl or jade) that is known for discoloration.

Ruud

Filling a fountain pen is much more fun than changing a printer cartridge

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

How deeply is one supposed to dip?

Try not to go beyond elbow deep...

I was about to post a complaint about how this ink stained my arm, leaving me with the choice of becoming a modern leper or joining the Blue Man Group, and blame it BSB. Now I realize I've been doing it all wrong! Nuts!

-Jake

I love the colour. The Pilot I originally put it in continued dry and scratchy (pen problem, rather than ink) so I put it in my EF Safari and have been using it joyfully for about a week. This is a spectacular colour - the original pen I used it in showed that but didn't do it justice. So far I'm finding it a very well behaved ink - no problems with startup, even after sitting idle for a few days, good flow, behaves well on paper, and I can't say enough about the colour.

OK folks, this isn't news to some of you. But if you want a really well behaved ink that looks to my eyes pretty similar to BSB, try Diamine Sapphire Blue. Wow, this is a pretty color! Not quite as intense, but it sure is nice stuff!

Edited by MikeLip

Earlier this week a drop of Baystate Blue ink accidentally landed on my wooden desk. Immediatly I poured some water to prevent a large stain and most of it could be wiped away. A faint stain remained. This evening I tried nail polish remover on a piece of toilet paper and the stain completely went. This was a standard nail polish remover without aceton.

Filling a fountain pen is much more fun than changing a printer cartridge

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

After about a week of experimenting around with BSB, I have both a positive and negative data point to report:

1) My Parker 51 Vac, having been inked with BSB for 6 days, and having being unused for 4 days, started up perfectly with a wet electric line on the first stroke.

The Parker will continue with BSB, the MB is about to get flushed and mothballed for the time being.

Now as you know, the Parker 51 was designed for use with Superchrome 51 (or was it the other way around), which is a very alkaline ink, and if you see the alkalinity of BSB, you will see that it is also an alkaline ink. So... use pens designed for alkaline inks with BSB k? I think that might solve many people's problems or prevent pens from being ruined.

Edited by Eric072691

Currently Inked:

-Montblanc 31, Noodler's Black

-Parker 51 Vac, Waterman Blueblack

-Parker 51 Vac, Diamine Jade Green

-Rotring 600, Aurora Blue

Now as you know, the Parker 51 was designed for use with Quink (or was it the other way around), which is a very alkaline ink

Quick correction. Parker 51 was designed for Superchrome 51, which was very alkaline. Quink is acidic.