Pelikan M400

asamsky

I have to admit straightaway that I bought this pen because of the price - I just couldn't pass up a higher-end Pelikan for $99. The fact that it turned out to be beautiful and a fantastic writer is a nice bonus! There have been a few reviews of this model already, and I'm largely concurring with them, but I really felt like getting the word out about this bargain-priced, superb pen.

First Impressions (4/5)

The M400 comes in a decent presentation box - completely typical for Pelikan. Of course the pen itself is rather atypical for this conservative brand. I had seen plenty of pictures online, and the pen lived up to them in person.

Appearance (5/5)

The pen looks better in person than it does in images. The barrel features tortoiseshell stripes and is quite transparent when empty. You can definitely see the piston move - it's almost a demonstrator. Cap and blind cap are white. Pelikan adorned the M400 with plenty of gold bands - I especially appreciated the band on the nib-ward end of the section. The nib is finely finished and beautiful, with crisply defined tones and an extremely solid, luxurious look. This is a flashy, elegant pen.

Design/Size/Weight (5/5)

The cap posts securely, the pen is extremely light, the clip works, what more could you want? It's a very small pen, but I find it well balanced and very nice with the cap posted. If you don't post the cap you may find it too short.

Nib (5/5)

Out of the box this nib wrote amazingly well. Smooth, stiff, just a little feedback from the paper - it's remarkably like driving a VW (or another precise, delightful German car). I bought it in F, and it's a true fine. Flow was excellent, just right (maybe a 6 on the 1-10 scale).

I bought my M200 from Richard Binder, and this M400 came from Pam Braun. The steel Binder nib has a bit of an edge over the stock M400 nib, but the M400 pen is smooth and nearly perfect without any professional adjustment. Plus it's gorgeous looking.

Filling System (5/5)

Pelikan piston - reliable, fun (in the nerdy way that fill mechanisms are fun), capacious. Nothing new here, but it's pretty much perfected.

Cost and Value (6/5)

This pen was $107 shipped second day from Pam Braun. Why aren't you getting out your wallets? (No affiliation)

Conclusion (5/5)

A well-designed, stunning, flawless performing pen. Some FPNers have reported cracks in the cap. I've had the pen less than a day so I can't comment, but I should say that Pam was willing to check the pen out for this problem before shipping.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2402/2293227519_8dec3078d6_o.jpg

Edited by asamsky

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• asamsky

• cyborg009

• Songwind

Fantastic review. But I always miss the pictures. The only thing that is keeping me back besides my wallet is the cap thing. Is not one case, but many. Even if the warraty covers for it, in my case the shipping will just not make it worth it. But I agree is a super pen at a super price.

If all goes well, the White Tortoise is going to be my next purchase. I 'll risk the crack in the cap. After all, it may not happen. Thanks for the review

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

Pelikan M200 Demo / translucent red / medium nibstroke

Lamy 2000 / black / oblique medium nibstroke

Pilot Vanishing Point / yellow / medium nibstroke

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are the the requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost"

-Gustav Flaubert-

Good review for a superb pen barring few small issues like cap cracks and wider F nib! Enjoy your pen. Incidentally my M400 Honey-Tortoise is inked today and with me!

Thanks1

abhik.

Great review. I also got a M400 from Pam Braun and I am very happy with it. I noticed, though, that the lines with 14c fine nib on the M400 are a tad wider and wetter than the lines with my stainless steal 200 nib. Did you have the same results?

You know, I can barely tell the difference between the steel M200 and the 14c M400 line widths. When I was writing with them I felt that the Binder-tuned m200 nib was definitely wider, but looking at the writing sample it looks like the m400 nib wrote slightly bolder. I was using very different inks (Aurora black in the m200, Waterman blue-black in the m400).

Edited by asamsky

If all goes well, the White Tortoise is going to be my next purchase. I 'll risk the crack in the cap. After all, it may not happen. Thanks for the review

Sofian, I took the risk, and am not sorry at all. My only problem was that I mis-guessed and ordered an F nib when I would have preferred an M nib - but their fantastic nib exchange policy corrected that in a flash. No cap issues at all (Pam Braun reassured me about that when I asked before ordering, as well).

schreibvergnuegen

visit my blog! the teahouse

• 2 months later...

I got one two days ago, and although I love the pen (although I probably would have preferred an extra fine instead of a fine), I just noticed the first crack on the inside of the cap.

Damn...

Is this a problem that they have rectified and I just have an older one, or will I be sending this in every few months for another cap?

the Danitrio Fellowship

Is this cap crack issue a Pelikan problem, an M400 problem, or specific to the white tortoise?

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

Crackatoa, West of Hannover

I bought the pen based on this review two months ago and it came from Pam Braun in fine condition. I just picked it up after a few days out of rotation and there is a huge crack running around the cap just before the metal top. A pity, because this is a great pen for the price. Aaah well, back to the home country it goes.

Cyborg009

Edited by cyborg009

Crackatoa, West of Hannover

I bought the pen based on this review two months ago and it came from Pam Braun in fine condition. I just picked it up after a few days out of rotation and there is a huge crack running around the cap just before the metal top. A pity, because this is a great pen for the price. Aaah well, back to the home country it goes.

Cyborg009

That's awful! I hope Pelikan replaces it - I remember reading somewhere on FPN that they would send you a new cap directly, so you wouldn't have to send the whole pen in.

I emailed them yesterday, and that is what they said to do.

On it way now.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Is this cap crack issue a Pelikan problem, an M400 problem, or specific to the white tortoise?

I think it's just something that affects some of the white tortoises. There's a detailed discussion somewhere in the FPN archives; the 'Search' function should lead you to it, as that's how I found it when I was thinking of getting the model in question a year or so ago.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

I am told that it will be replaced as well.

I will say its unfortunate because I really like this pen for the money I paid. It does not photograph well but in the flesh, or should I say flash, it looks fabulous, and while it ain't no Sailor, it writes to a very high standard.

I agree with that. I only got to use it for 2 days before it went off. I have new pen case on order, and now I will have to just put the body of the pen in the case while waiting for the cap.

That is going to drive me crazy..

the Danitrio Fellowship