Waterman Edson-review

goodguy

Greetings Goodguy,

I do like Montblanc Pens, in fact I own 4 of them and my wife owns 2.

I have 2 149's and 1 146

I also have the Alexandre Dumas FP.

The Alexandre Dumas is the only modern MB that I own.

The 149's and 146 that I own are made in the 1970's or very early 1980's. So I cannot comment on the newer Meisterstuck models.

I think that MB has a bad rap, some are true and others are well, not so true. Just MB has been around for a while and in the past 30 years or so has become a real luxury item. So whenever someone thinks of a good FP, the first thing that comes to mind is MB. Just like watches, people think of rolex.

Indeed, MB is very contraversial among collectors. I guess thats why there is a dedicated forum in FPN :thumbup:

TNS

The Dumas and Agatha Cristy are my 2 favorite Writers Edition pens.

I also own older models of the 149 and 146.

My 149 is from the 70's and the 146 is early 1980's or late 1970's

I enjoy to be the champion of MB pens because I know I buy them for the right resons (because I like them and the way they write) and not to try to impress anyone.

Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it :lol:

Respect to all

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• TheNobleSavage

• georges zaslavsky

• Pen Nut

One of the main drawbacks about the Edsons and the higher tier Waterman pens are the price. They are an expensive pen, thats without a doubt!!! I am glad I bought mine used because I dont think I would have ever bought one brand spankin' new!!! Regardless, after buying mine and using it, I have to agree with you that they ARE worth the money and ARE every bit as good as ANY other nib on the market. Indeed they are unique and not for everyone but then again neither is an ultra flex nib, stub/italic or any other nib out there!!

TNS

I tried many Edsons but their nibs just don't do it for me I consider them as far inferior to the 149 , Pelikan M1000 and Omas Paragon nibs. Writing with an Edson is like writing with a pitchfork for me. It costs nearly 700 euros new and nearly 520 euros used here in France. Too expensive. Anyway enjoy your pen.

:roflmho: Some pitchfork! :roflmho:

No way is the Edson inferior to any of the pens you mentioned. It's right up there with all of them, and it's worth the money.

To TNS, I tried many Edsons and I find their nib too rigid, strangely despite having a hooded nib the Carene is a better writer more smooth. But the best high tier pens from Waterman that I have wrote with are the Man100 and the Liaison. Very nicely built pens with 5 stars nib with more smoothness and feedback than the Edson. They are finely manufactured but their nib is definitely not for me. I think it is a matter of personnal taste, I prefer big open nibs than hooded nibs.

I never could write with a p51 because it was too rigid and same comment goes for Sheaffer PFMs who was too rigid as well. When one buys a pen he buys a pen that suits his penmanship the best.

To Pen Executive, I was just stating my opinion, I only buy pens that I am sure will enable me to write fast on paper without being too rigid and offering a real feedback at the level of the nib. Some people like rigid nibs, some don't.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Hi Georges

Its funny but I like rigid and semi flex pens.Each touches a different spot in me but both give great pleasure.

My Omas Paragon has a nice springy nib and I believe you know how much I adore it.

On the other side the Edson's nib is also excellent but VERY different from the Paragon's nib.

But as you said everybody has different tastes.

Respect to all

georges,

Please don't think that I am trying to marginalize your opinion on the Edson, I just took exception to the fact that you said the nibs are inferior to those of other manufacturers. They as you said, are not for you!! That I can respect because I agree 100% that they are very rigid nibs and are not for every one. I just disagree with you when you said they are inferior in comparison to the other pens mentioned.

Maybe I am interpeting this entirely wrong. Are you saying that the quality control and the manufacturing process and end result of the Edson nibs are inferior, while the other stated pens have a better higher QC and better manufacturing process than the Edson nibs?

Or are you saying that the nibs on the edson is inferior to what you look for in a pen and to your writing style? With that said, it doesnt have anything to do with the nib being poorly manufactured, it just has to do with you liking softer nibs?

This might be a misunderstanding!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

The edson is a very beautiful pen. I was wondering if anyone knows the barrel diameter (the thickest and narrowest) and the weight of the pen when uncapped? Many thanks.

Justin

georges,

Please don't think that I am trying to marginalize your opinion on the Edson, I just took exception to the fact that you said the nibs are inferior to those of other manufacturers. They as you said, are not for you!! That I can respect because I agree 100% that they are very rigid nibs and are not for every one. I just disagree with you when you said they are inferior in comparison to the other pens mentioned.

Maybe I am interpeting this entirely wrong. Are you saying that the quality control and the manufacturing process and end result of the Edson nibs are inferior, while the other stated pens have a better higher QC and better manufacturing process than the Edson nibs?

Or are you saying that the nibs on the edson is inferior to what you look for in a pen and to your writing style? With that said, it doesnt have anything to do with the nib being poorly manufactured, it just has to do with you liking softer nibs?

This might be a misunderstanding!!

TNS

I bought a man 100 patrician yesterday and I can tell you that it is vastly superior to the Edson on any aspect. The Edson has a tubular nib which is far to offer the same level of quality of the 1983-1990 first generation man 100 nibs as well as the 1990-1996 second generation man 100 ideal with the globe nibs. Every one who has owned or who owns a man 100 will tell you how much it is a very marvelous pen which beats any Waterman today creation including the Edson. Quality control before Gilette then Sandford bought Waterman was way higher and I am sure that customer service was better as well. The Edson is inferior in general to many well established pens which are the 149, the m1000, the paragon arte, the man 100 or the sailor 1911 for these reasons:

- its futuristic lines are not what the fountain pen purists are necessarily liking

- its nib is not what a Waterman nib should be, I said one time that it writes like a pitchfork as it can also write like a razor

- there is no briar wood, fontainebeleau wood or any other cool version of that pen, that pen is made of plexiglas or in silver.

- i don't think it will be as fondly liked as was the man 100. The man 100 was an iconic pen much more than was the Edson. Many people want to buy a man 100 but when the man 100s are for sale they are not cheap.

Many people who knew Waterman before the pre Sandford and Gilette era will tell you flawless and well built were their pens. Waterman changed but it doesn't make the quality of pens of the same level it used to do.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...

I have an emerald Edson, one of the best in my humble collection.

Is the Waterman converter universal, may I simply take out the green and gold special plastic and stick in a run of the mill Waterman converter?

This is probably answered already, but a quick reply would be most appreciated.

Great review goodguy, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Do you have any writing samples from this pen? Looks like a really nice piece of equipment to own and use.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne