nibs/ new to the forum

madscot13

Hi I'm new to the forum. name is Mads.

I'm a grad student and write a heck of a lot. I am interested i the Lamy Accent. It seems like a workhorse pen and looks pretty cool. The only thing is that I can't decide between the nibs. I write fairly small- capitals are about .5 cm and I usually use A4 paper and it looks double spaced. by the descriptions I have heard I think I should go with the extra fine nib. But I also like a black that really looks black. Does that mean I should probably step up to a fine?

I would appreciate any advice you have to give. otherwise, I've been enjoying reading the forum and gleaning as much information as possible.

thanks!

ps. I can't decide between the black rubber grip or the pear one- but that is a whole other story!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madscot13

• KCat

• HDoug

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mads and welcome to FPN!

I happen to own two Lamys ... one with a fine nib and the other with an extra fine and they both lay down a nice even line. As long as you pick the right ink, I'm sure you'd be happy with either nib and the X-F might suit your writing style best.

Todd

The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away. D. Viscott

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I run a Lamy Studio w/EF with Waterman Black and get super results. Also, would you consider a Pilor VP? Their fine nibs are really super nice and the fine nibs are a true fine. That might seem like a strange statement but you get the idea.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I have two Lamy AL-stars (same nib as the Accent) with EF nibs that lay down a line between 0.30mm and 0.35mm. My capital letters are also around 5mm, and most minuscules around half that. I think the EF will fit you. I swapped out from an F when my handwriting became smaller and the F too wide.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Edited by HDoug

all of that does help! I'm pretty set on the accent. So I think I will go for the extra fine. And yep I will be using Waterman black with it.

I like my writing to look crisp- fine lines and few blubs. I think this will be great

Thanks!

all of that does help! I'm pretty set on the accent. So I think I will go for the extra fine. And yep I will be using Waterman black with it.

I like my writing to look crisp- fine lines and few blubs. I think this will be great

Thanks!

hm. You mean Waterman gray? :P

Seriously, most people find WM black to be too weak. If you want a serious solid black that performs as well as WM, consider trying Aurora black. I suppose in a wet writer WM black is tolerable. I just find Aurora to be black no matter what pen it's in, while WM shades and looks washed out in anything but a wet writer. To my eye.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I was afraid Aurora black might be too wet of a writer since i have such small handwriting. the waterman did not seem to liberal in flow but I've never actually used either one of them.

I use the Waterman ink in my pens that go mobile as it's one of the best behaved inks, even in pens that bounce about, but even in my B nibs, the black can look a bit washed out. If you don't mind stepping up to color, the other shades of Waterman are lovely.

I've been looking at the other ink reviews and the red, green, purple, and blue black have really caught my attention. I think I am going to have to get a bottle of each.

Maybe I will try to find a bottle of Noodler's ink at a local store. The reviews say those are very black and they don't look as wet as Auorora, although the Auorora still sounds very nice. I'm just not willing to risk using a wet ink on a pen reputed to be a broad writer right away.

Also, thanks Doug for the approximate line widths. It really gives me a good idea for what I am in for. I currently write with these Stadtler triplus fine liner feltliners and that is the width of their tip. I would venture to say the line is a bit wider but very close. (for those not wishing to write with a fountain pen at any given moment but still want a blast of color, these pens are excellent!)

I find Noodler's Black to be well-behaved and quite black. It gives a tighter line than Legal Lapis, so the flow isn't as free (without being too dry, I haven't had any clogging or balkiness either. Legal Lapis, my bottle at least, flows generously.) and might suit you.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png