In Memory Of Frank Dubiel

Free Citizen

Dear Fellow Pen Lovers,

Today is the eve of the first anniversary of Frank Dubiel's passing. I did not have the pleasure to have any exchanges with the legendary man. My only connection with him is through his book, affectionately referred to by his admirers as "Da Book". Having only join the discussion at acp-p after his passing, I still see past acquaintances of his recall with fond memories their experiences with the great man. If he is still with us today, I have no doubt he would have loved it here. I reckon that the concept of no ownership of FPN would appeal to him. That is probably why he found refuge at acp-p because there was no moderator to reprimand him if he was mean to a newbie. As it is said he often did. The younger generation would have felt intimidated by his presence but the older ones just took his jibes with a grain of salt and laughed. That was the character of Frank Dubiel as I am beginning to know from past accounts. I would liked to have had exchanges with a colourful guy like that. So, for those of you who were fortunate to have had the chance of an encounter with him, why not share it with the community here. I can't think of any better way to remember this unforgettable person who did much for the pen community.

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• Keith with a capital K

• rhr

• PenHero

I bought a copy of Da Book when I first started to repair my own FP's. Back when Frank was on acp-p. I always looked forward to looking at Frank's latest posts, offering sound advice or verbally swatting the poor poster that wanted to know which FP held more ink. Frank was indeed "colorful" but you could always count on his advice being sound and based on years of experience. I keep my copy of Da Book in a safe place. Bringing it out to look up something and then putting it back on the book shelf. There will never be another "Da Book" and there will never be another Frank. :( Frank will certainly be missed.

Optimists are always disapointed when things don't work out. Pesimists never are since they expected it. That's why pesimists are happier.

I had a number of rather pleasant exchanges with Frank in the short time I knew him and never found him to be anything but honest, straightforward, and extremely pleasant.

Despite his sometimes gruff exterior, he was an extremely kind and giving individual who would help anyone who was willing to listen.

I regret that I did not have the opportunity to get to know him better and feel the same way about Fr. Koch who also passed away this year.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

I didn't know Frank Dubiel personally but, like many others, knew of him for his book on fountain pen repairs (a/k/a "Da Book :) ). I am honoured to have in my possession an autographed copy of Da Book that I purchased from Pendemonium while Frank was still alive...and I will always treasure it. It's too bad but I was just getting interested in fountain pen repairs when Frank passed away last winter. Rest in peace, Frank :(

Edited by Maja

I had a number of rather pleasant  exchanges with Frank in the short time I knew him and never found him to be anything but honest, straightforward, and extremely pleasant.

Despite his sometimes gruff exterior, he was an extremely kind and giving individual who would help anyone who was willing to listen.

I regret that I did not have the opportunity to get to know him better and feel the same way about Fr. Koch who also passed away this year.

I interacted with Frank and don't have nearly as rosy an opinion of him.

kurt h

Edited by Tytyvyllus

Hi, Kurt, Keith, et al.,

It appears, Kurt that someone on the Frank for Sainthood Committee got your post revised from the original which I saw as follows:

Take care,

Rob Astyk

Rob,

I'm the one who edited the post. Thinking back to my interactions with him brough the bile rolling to the top. I don't want to speak ill of the dead.

Kurt H

Kurt - That was very nice of you to temper your comments towards Frank and I think we all had very different experiences in dealing with him.

In all things, he was just a person like the rest of us and subject to all those human strengths and faults.

I liked the guy despite his sometimes gruff manner. I guess if you fielded a few hundred pen questions a week you might start to get a little short with people and simply respond with "It's in da book".

...I guess if you fielded a few hundred pen questions a week you might start to get a little short with people and simply respond with "It's in da book".

I guess that's what I find interest is that most of the questions that Frank answered on ACPP weren't toward him directly. He took the job of answering all of those questions on himself, and plugging his book along the way. :D

Kurt H

Frank was very helpful to me both in person and by email. I learned a lot from him and was very aware of his dark side.

Rob - I found your post very illuminating. It sheds some light on Frank and fills in some blanks for me.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Jim - let me first say welcome to the board, although you need no introduction you might want to pop over to the Welcome thread and say hello.

I feel the same way you do about Frank and wish I had more time to have discussed a number of things with him.

His generosity in sharing his knowledge with those who were seriously interested in learning was a great asset to many and at the time of his passing we had been having some really interesting and pleasant conversations via e-mail.

I guess I will get the reply to my last stupid question when I too go off to that little pen workshop in the sky.

Frank will probably still tell me the answer I seek is in the book.

:D

Guest Denis Richard
It appears, Kurt that someone on the Frank for Sainthood Committee got your post revised from the original which I saw as follows:

:lol: :D

Rob, you remind me of that gay activist group who is "outing" politicians on a side they don't like... which to me is a very interesting interpretation of the civil rights they are supposed to be figthing for. :lol:

Note that the software FPN uses is wonderful, and any edit of a post is marked with a date stamp and the name of the member who does the edit, in this case... Kurt himself.

Denis.

I liked the guy despite his sometimes gruff manner. I guess if you fielded a few hundred pen questions a week you might start to get a little short with people and simply respond with "It's in da book".

When asked a pen question with an obvious answer that could be found in his book, Frank was also fond of saying, "Da Book is not a correspondence course".

I really miss Frank.

George.

rhrpen(at)gmail.com