My role and function

James Pickering

I function here in the manner of the Chancery writing masters of the Italian Renaissance with their copybooks. I illustrate primarily Chancery (Italic) letter forms and their construction, but also supplemental Roman Majuscule lettering, humanistic writing hands and very basic illumination. I include rudimentary information relating to techniques, equipment and materials. My emphasis and focus is on the Chancery cursive writing hands of the Italian renaissance and their adaptation for practical everyday handwriting.

The exemplars of my writing that I post here are offered for study and emulation. My calligraphic teaching methodology is based on that of Edward Johnston (as passed down through Graily Hewitt and my own teacher, Wilfred Barton, who was a contemporary and student of them) -- hands-on instruction starting with Roman lettering and progressing through the hierarchy of scripts.

Unfortunately, I simply do not have time to critique the handwriting of others and suggest corrective remedies nor am I very proficient at doing that. This is rightfully the province of Kate Gladstone who is skilled in this area.

James

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James Pickering

• KCat

• Free Citizen

• Adam

James said:

Unfortunately, I simply do not have time to critique the handwriting of others and suggest corrective remedies nor am I very proficient at doing that.

While I understand the first part of your disclaimer, James, I take issue with your second. I have found your instruction extremely helpful in correcting and developing my own Italic hand. Although I have not recently had time to be very active on any of the various boards, I very much appreciate your efforts and have found you to be a skilled and masterful instructor.

Best regards,

Adam

:)

Unfortunately, I simply do not have time to critique the handwriting of others and suggest corrective remedies nor am I very proficient at doing that. This is rightfully the province of Kate Gladstone who is skilled in this area.

Mr. Pickering,

Please do not fell obliged to comment on every handwriting sample that is posted here. We post them so that we can share it with fellow members here and see how we compare with each other. Don't you agree that one of the best way to learn is to compare our samples with others. That should be the spirit for participating on this site. Of course, your samples have been most exemplary. A standard we all aspire to achieve.

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

.......... I have not recently had time ..........

I can certainly relate to that, Adam! :D But it is good to see you participate -- for those who are not familiar with Adam's work, please visit ..........

http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet/1p3p1F...findpost&p=1835

.......... to view one of his marvelous spirals.

Edited by James Pickering

Now messages like the attached make all my time and effort worth while! Of course, it relates to my website and one reason I wanted to post it is because it gives me an opportunity to mention that I am in the process of revising my web pages. I have already re-written the Introduction, Basics and Supplemental hands pages and I should have the rest re-written (and the scanned exemplar pages updated) in the next several days.

Because of the above project -- and the fact that I have been spending so much time here recently -- I have fallen way behind in my committed work. In consequence, and for other personal reasons, I find it necessary to relinquish my position as resident Expert/Moderator for this Penmanship Forum. I may not be able to post here for extended periods of time in the future.

Thanks to all who have participated. Here's to good handwriting!

James

http://www.jp29.org/cal129.jpg

(used with permission of Mr. Whately)

I have constructed an adjunct to my web site called "Calligrapher's Corner" which is an online Forum who's sole objective is the discussion of all aspects of Calligraphy -- techniques and methodologies, materials and equipment -- pencils, pens, paper, Vellum & Parchment preparation, ink, gouache colors, formal & informal writing, illuminating, gilding, ..... and so on.

Calligrapher's Corner

It can also be toggled from my web pages making it handy and easy for me to operate and maintain.

I found that the FPN "Penmanship" Forum was naturally drifting toward general Calligraphy -- which seems to me a little un-natural for a Forum devoted to fountain pens.

My future postings here will be focused on handwriting rendered using fountain pens.

James

Now messages like the attached make all my time and effort worth while!

That is so wonderful, James. I can relate to the feeling such an email gives. I've gotten a few in my lifetime re: my lupus support and nothing gives you a greater sense of self and purpose than to know you've done something to help others.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

That is so wonderful, James.  I can relate to the feeling such an email gives.  I've gotten a few in my lifetime re: my lupus support and nothing gives you a greater sense of self and purpose than to know you've done something to help others.

It is indeed most gratifying, KCat -- I receive two or three messages similiar to this one each month. I treasure them all.

James