Elysee pens?

foxtail1

I was browsing in a local college bookstore yesterday, looking for fountain pens (vastly overpriced Cross with collegiate logo was the only offering), when I noticed a plastic tray of slim pens on the bottom shelf of the case. To my surprise, they were fountain pens, all Elysee. Several had a colored leatherlike finish, and the others were smooth finish. I didn't spend too long looking at them, so I didn't see what width the nibs were.

They were priced at $65 each. I'm thinking that they've been on that bottom shelf for some years, and perhaps the store manager might be amenable to a deal. :hmm1:

So are these good pens? They certainly are nice to look at (which really might be enough reason to buy one or more), but I'd like some feedback from anyone who has used Elysee pens.

Thanks!

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foxtail1

• satrap

• superfly

• EventHorizon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never heard of them but this website has them for sale. The "made in Germany" pitch is a good start.

I doubt a college student will fork over $65 for a pen (I know I wouldn't have) so maybe you could get a good deal. Ask also if they store manager will let you dip the pen for a test drive. My guess is that you would need to bring your own bottle of ink.

Keep us updated.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

I was browsing in a local college bookstore yesterday, looking for fountain pens (vastly overpriced Cross with collegiate logo was the only offering), when I noticed a plastic tray of slim pens on the bottom shelf of the case. To my surprise, they were fountain pens, all Elysee. Several had a colored leatherlike finish, and the others were smooth finish. I didn't spend too long looking at them, so I didn't see what width the nibs were.

They were priced at $65 each. I'm thinking that they've been on that bottom shelf for some years, and perhaps the store manager might be amenable to a deal. :hmm1:

So are these good pens? They certainly are nice to look at (which really might be enough reason to buy one or more), but I'd like some feedback from anyone who has used Elysee pens.

Thanks!

65 bucks for an Elysee? BUY A HUNDRED of em!!! When I lived in DC, and shopped at Fahrney's these pens always seemed to be more expensive than my beloved Waterman pens. Keep your mouth closed, buy those pens, and enjoy the bargains. If you are unsure of the value, buy ONE, call Fahrney's (w/name and model #, if possible), and ask what they are worth.

So, which college bookstore was this? :cloud9:

diane

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

The pens on that website look ... more ornate than the ones that I saw. I don't remember all the gold trim, but I'll go back by in a day or so to take a closer look.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Note that I didn't name the bookstore. Or even the town! :rolleyes:

But, if they really are that good a deal, and good pens, be sure that I will share the wealth. There were at least 6-7 of them, all different.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

I have an Elysee pen, got in Germany, in 2000. I heard that they are not made anymore. Mine is a slim model, really well built, with gold (or gold plated) nib. Writes nice and smoooth...

cheers,

Nenad

life is nothing if you're not obsessed.

I have one that is about 10 years old. A great pen, and one that was fairly popular among places like Fahneys (I think the list was around $250 or $300), but I do know that right before they went under, they were producing much less expensive pens. The $65 price might reflect that, but they still might be nice pens for the money.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Yes, but not those fancy designs. Two had an interesting leather-look finish (in colors) and the others were just the lacquer. The nib looks similar (though I didn't look at all of them). They said Elysee and Germany on the band of the cap.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

I once owned an Elysee fountain pen back in the late 80s or early 90s. It was a very slim, gold plated pen with a textured (barleycorn?) finish. It had a 'loop' style clip, a bit like a Rotring 900, only with a flatter profile rather than the round metal used for the 900's clip. It was a very smooth writer as far as I can remember, and a very well made pen. It had an oddly-shaped, slightly flattened nib. I seem to remember that this pen was available in various metal finishes, and some rather nice metallic laquer finishes too. A high quality pen that I rather missed when I lost it.

Bernie.

I see those particular pens on ebay, I bought a nice Green FP for $20, it appeared new. They have a sort of hinged clip. I have since sold it for about the same amount. I do have a BP pen still in Gold and Silver trim that retailed for around $250 in the 80's. I just sold an Elysee BP that was Gold and Black Laquer finish for $147.

Here is a very poor picture of the Elysee I still have:

post-7965-1203460677_thumb.jpg

We stomped on the terra-

Lord Buckley said that

I had one many years back, paid about $50 to $75 CDN. It wrote well, and was sort of a stainless steel finish, shiny. I lost it within 10 days of buying it, unfortunately. :( I think the company went out of business but I'm not sure...

My first fountain pen was an Elysé (see the gold pen in my avatar) it was a small pen all metal hence it had some heft to it. I paid around 80$ in 1989. It was very well made and the fine gold nib was really smooth altough bland in appearance.

It was very dependable and altough it is now retired (the cap no longer hold in place) I have been writing with it everydays as my sole pen for over 6 years of college then of university.

I obviously love my Waterman but that little Elysé has a special place in my heart :)

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally made it back to the bookstore, and only four of the pens were fountain pens. The rest (about a dozen more) were ballpoint pens and roller balls.

So, I made my pitch, and I now have the fountain pens (an excellent deal :thumbup:). They're quite nice to look at, though I haven't inked one yet. I've posted pictures in the "what pen did you get today" thread.

Oh, I also picked up a Sheaffer Javelin fp in Matte Silver.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Wow! a blast from the past - the late 80s- early 90s when I had an Elysee. A blue lacquer model, thin by today's standard, but a a great writer. C/C filler I believe. Gave it to a friend who fell in love with it. I was sorry to hear they went outta bidnis.

Wow! a blast from the past - the late 80s- early 90s when I had an Elysee. A blue lacquer model, thin by today's standard, but a a great writer. C/C filler I believe. Gave it to a friend who fell in love with it. I was sorry to hear they went outta bidnis.

Sounds like the blue lacquer I bought. It's thinner than any of the others, and a deep, almost midnight, blue.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Why can't I seem to find any such deals around here? I've had a quite jaunt through a UT book store, and I didn't see any pens for sale. :huh:

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Why can't I seem to find any such deals around here? I've had a quite jaunt through a UT book store, and I didn't see any pens for sale. :huh:

I checked all three college bookstores in my town. One had nothing (though I remember once they carried fps). The second had two (old!) Lamy Safaris in white for $7.50 ea. Both were in the box, with the converters but no papers, and both had been inked! It took me forever to get them clean.

The final bookstore was the treasure trove of Elysees. I hated to leave the RB and BPs there- the finishes are so lovely- and there were easily a dozen of them.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

I checked all three college bookstores in my town. One had nothing (though I remember once they carried fps). The second had two (old!) Lamy Safaris in white for $7.50 ea. Both were in the box, with the converters but no papers, and both had been inked! It took me forever to get them clean.

The final bookstore was the treasure trove of Elysees. I hated to leave the RB and BPs there- the finishes are so lovely- and there were easily a dozen of them.

So here is what we do. We comission foxtail to go out on a treasure hunt once or twice a month then he sales to us at a cut rate deal.

$7.50 for a Safari??????? I would jump all over that if it was just loose on the shelf. :thumbup:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr