The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Levenger Plumpster

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:17

Howdy, folks! I'm tryin' out something new to review pens. Take a look, make sure that your speakers are on, and give me some feedback (other than, "Dude, you need to quit drinking so much coffee...the camera's all jittery!")

Here's Part I:

Here's Part II:

Here's the pictures and the writing sample (as a .pdf).

Plumpster Photos
Writing Sample

Edited by rroossinck, 06 November 2008 - 12:54.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Sponsored Content

#2 ilubiano

ilubiano

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:28

I like it!

Great way to review pens, the video review. It's much better than static pictures. Plus, we can hear your review and it really adds to letting us know how you feel about the pen rather than just reading the text about it. Hope to see more. Also, I am really interested in this pen. I like big pens, and have been looking into them. I was looking at this, or maybe a vintage Dunn, or something similar, but this plumpster is looking like the choice for me.

As soon as I get back on top of my budget, of course. happyberet.gif

p.s. I love seeing the writing sample in real time. Helps me see bette how it would look coming from the pen this way, rather than a static picture of a writing sample.
Canada sure is cold.

#3 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:30

Dangit! The other links don't work! Give me a minute or six to fix 'em and let's try this again.

#4 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:34

Wow! What a way to do a review - sounds great! Is there a way to make the picture larger?

Erick

Pelikan Souverän M 815 "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau 

Benu Supreme "F" nib running Pelikan Edelstein Olivine

PENBBS 500 "F" nib running Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu

#5 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:52

For a little bigger picture, you can check the review on my blog. Click my signature to get to it. The problem with Flypaper is that when you embed the video into the presentation, it converts it to an FLV, which degrades the file quality a bit. In order to get any better quality, I had to re-size it a little.

#6 mgepark

mgepark

mgepark

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:12

Great video and show. How do you like the Plumpster? Does the brassing have something to do with the Plumpster also?

#7 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,600 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:13

QUOTE(rroossinck @ Feb 18 2008, 09:52 PM) View Post
For a little bigger picture, you can check the review on my blog. Click my signature to get to it. The problem with Flypaper is that when you embed the video into the presentation, it converts it to an FLV, which degrades the file quality a bit. In order to get any better quality, I had to re-size it a little.

Thanks! Helps a lot.

Erick

Pelikan Souverän M 815 "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau 

Benu Supreme "F" nib running Pelikan Edelstein Olivine

PENBBS 500 "F" nib running Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu

#8 ilubiano

ilubiano

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:34

You might have mentioned it in the review, or not, I have a bad short term memory, but does it come in any other finishes besides the blue like the one you have? Would look great in green, I think.
Canada sure is cold.

#9 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:36

Mikey, the Plumpster doesn't have any affiliation with the blog's title (that's a different pen - might do a video of that one, too). And as of now, there's only that one finish; I'm sure that there are more in the works. SMG and I have an idea for one of our own, but I'll save that for a different thread. smile.gif

#10 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,534 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:41

I like it. I don't think that video reviews will replace written reviews, but it's a nice change and adds something to a review. Thanks for sharing this.

#11 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:07

You bet, Jon. If my review isn't accurate, please do let me know!

BTW, what size nib did you buy?

#12 AndyHayes

AndyHayes

Too Many Pens

• Member - Gold

• 1,536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:39

Really good. Not a pen that is likely to turn up in the UK in large numbers, but interesting nonetheless.

There was a few umms and errs in there! It's really difficult to do without a script, but if you have a script then you might as well just post that! Natural is better.

I think that you have set the standard for others to follow.

#13 Rasputin

Rasputin

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 14:59

I like your new review. Also good to see another "lefty" (at least it looked like you were). You one-handed removal of the pen cap reminded me of myself. I wonder, do "righties" do the same thing or do they use two hands (too much time on my hands this morning). But, back to business...the Plumpster look like something I would like, so, of course, I had to order it (darn it...broke my Lenten pledge of no more pens till Easter...okay, now I really mean it...No More really nice pens until Easter...that ought to do it. Thanks again for the Flypaper review of your pen. As they say...'Keep 'em coming.'

#14 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 15:33

I'll do my best, Rasputin!

As far as that one-hand removal...well, I cheated. I loosened the cap first because I knew I couldn't do it one-handed otherwise. smile.gif

I think I'm going to experiment with a tripod next time around. The only issue you run into there is that it's really tough to watch the lens and concentrate on the rest of it at the same time. Still, with practice, I think I can get this down a little better. No guarantees about the "uh...ummm" bit, though. smile.gif

#15 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,653 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 16:16

A novel way to do a review, I enjoyed it. On my screen the quality of the video was rather dark so it was hard to see the actual coloring on the pen. I liked seeing it "live" in the hand and looking down the cap, a view that's overlooked but something I do when I'm checking out a pen in a store. Overall, nicely done.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#16 hardyb

hardyb

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2008 - 17:31

I like to personal approach and Video is a very good way to go. The review was helpful and covered the questions I would have asked. You have a good voice for commentary and are easy to follow. Excellent job and I hope you continue with your experiment, it is a keeper.
The Danitrio Fellowship

#17 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 17:34

Again, many thanks, folks. Cobra, check out the photogallery linked up above. That'll do a better job of displaying the natural colors. I've found that while my office is NOT the right place to take pictures, the dining room table is really nicely lit, and works very well.

I'll keep coming up with ideas for new reviews. I've got an Omas 360 that should be headed home as we speak; it might make for a nice video review. We'll see.

#18 Rasputin

Rasputin

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 20:53

Just a slightly OT question: Given the precariousness of your task (BTW, I really liked you 'Blair Witch Project' handheld style) what camera did you use?

#19 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:14

Rasputin, it was a Samsung SC-X300. Sweet little camera, I have to say. It's tiny - smaller than my first two or three cell phones!

#20 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• 2,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:57

Interesting format. The buttons on the left did not work for me in Firefox 2.0.0.12 so I will check back later on that.

A short version of your video review would have been sufficient for me since the size of the barrel puts the Plumpster outside my comfort range. However, I would enjoy a full length version for a pen of serious interest like the TrueWriter - not that you didn't talk me into one (or three) without a visual aid. Perhaps you could offer both flavors. The short one for people of limited time, interest or attention span and the long version for those with tons of time or very strong interest.

Keep working on the format. I do believe you are on to something here. thumbup.gif
A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

Sponsored Content

|