philadephia

milo

Hi to those familiar with downtown Philly,

I'm travelling to Philadephia next month and was wondering where I might be able to browse/purchase some fine writing instruments. I'd be very interested in seeing Pelikans and Nakimi.

cheers,

Milo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• milo

• blueiris

• Delivered

• StephY

Hi to those familiar with downtown Philly,

I'm travelling to Philadephia next month and was wondering where I might be able to browse/purchase some fine writing instruments. I'd be very interested in seeing Pelikans and Nakimi.

cheers,

Milo

Milo,

I hope you won't be disappointed, but there really aren't too many options in Philly. Other than going to "Montblanc Boutiques" along jewelers row, there are no stores that specialize in pens. Holt's Cigars (15th & Walnut streets) did have pens at one time, but I do not see much advertising from them anymore.

We had a great stationary/pen store at one time- Pomerantz Co. I did get some pens from there as gifts when I was still in college. They have been closed about 15 years now. The heirs decided to sell off after the owners died (family bizz- mom & pop, but very upscale).

We had the Philly pen show in January. This is a well known, early and great show. But, it is run by people based in the Baltimore area. There is a Paradise Pens store in the mall at King of Prussia. This is a large, well known east coast mall located 25 miles west of the city (Valley Forge region).

So, to be honest, pen fans in Philly really have to "fend for themselves!"

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Hi Frank,

many thanks on your response...seems like I'll be coming back empty handed from Philly. The internet is definitely going to be my best bet to get a nice new pen at a great price, but first I need to figure out how UK customs laws apply to importing goods and the associated import duty.

cheers,

Milo

Milo

When will you be in Philly? Holts is a cigar shop that carries a nice line of pens. And as Frank said not too much in choices. I will be down in Altanta the first 2 weeks of April but back in the Philly area after that. If you want to get together just pm me.

Milo

When will you be in Philly? Holts is a cigar shop that carries a nice line of pens. And as Frank said not too much in choices. I will be down in Altanta the first 2 weeks of April but back in the Philly area after that. If you want to get together just pm me.

Hi Alan,

I'm in Philly during the 2nd week of March. Thanks for your very kind message. I also checked out your website and pens...WOW...very very impressive!

cheers,

Milo

If you're limited to Center City, Holt's is the only place I know for Pelikans (I've bought one there myself, and I managed to get a discount off the tagged price by asking). I don't know if they have Namiki pens, but I think they might have Namiki ink. Other brands I remember seeing are Parker, Omas, Aurora, and maybe Visconti. The selection isn't bad, actually. Their ink selection is decent as well, from what a friend says.

Otherwise, as FrankieX said, if you're going to be at King of Prussia mall, there is a Paradise pens there. I'm pretty sure they carry Pelikan, as well as many other lines, and they have a decent ink selection. The Crane stationery store at the mall also has fountain pens.

There is also a pen store at 17th and Chestnut Sts In a mall that connects with a hotel. Do not discount prices that much and quite honestly have not found them that knowledgeable about their stock. The pens store in the King of Prussia mall has one of the rudest managers fo any store I have ever been in. Slim pickings in the city of brotherly love. Phiadelphia is the closest major metropolitan area to me and I stay clear of it for pens. Even in NY the prices on the internet with some of the established dealers are hard to beat. Or treat your self and once a year go to the Pen Show.

Also stay clear of Tourneau in the K of P mall as well. Sales person told me I was miss informed when I insisted a Unitas 6497 movement was mechanical and not an automatic. The watch we were discussing was about $3,000.

There is also a pen store at 17th and Chestnut Sts In a mall that connects with a hotel. Do not discount prices that much and quite honestly have not found them that knowledgeable about their stock. The pens store in the King of Prussia mall has one of the rudest managers fo any store I have ever been in. Slim pickings in the city of brotherly love. Phiadelphia is the closest major metropolitan area to me and I stay clear of it for pens. Even in NY the prices on the internet with some of the established dealers are hard to beat. Or treat your self and once a year go to the Pen Show.

Also stay clear of Tourneau in the K of P mall as well. Sales person told me I was mis-informed when I insisted a Unitas 6497 movement was mechanical and not an automatic. The watch we were discussing was about $3,000.

There is also a pen store at 17th and Chestnut Sts In a mall that connects with a hotel.

If you mean Impressions, at the Shops at Liberty Place, it's not there anymore. They closed a while ago.

I was at Holt's yesterday to get some inks and noticed that they had a sale on MB pens and accessories until tomorrow (2/29/08). They do have a great selection of pens, but full retail it is.

There was Office Cents on Chestnut that sold FPs and Bob behind the counter was very knowledgeable. They sold the building and closed down a year (or more?) - certainly a loss to the Philly pen scene. I've often wondered if Bob is active here.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

The only place to go in Philly is Holts. Talk to Adam or Bob, they are both good peeps.

Holts carries: MB, Cross, Parker, Waterman, Pelikan, Aurora, Montegrappa, Visconti, Waterford,

S.T. DuPont, Omas, and......that's about it. No Sheaffer (yet).

Edited by Sheaffer USA

Hampton Haddon Marketing Corp.

Liscensee/Manufacturer of Waterford

and Marquis by Waterford Writing Instruments

US Distributor of Sheaffer Pens

• 3 weeks later...

I live approx. 30 miles from Philadelphia, and I haven't found any real pen stores aside from what is mentioned. There are many more in Baltimore and NY. That's what is so nice about the Philly Pen show.

[...]

Also stay clear of Tourneau in the K of P mall as well. Sales person told me I was miss informed when I insisted a Unitas 6497 movement was mechanical and not an automatic. The watch we were discussing was about $3,000.

I second your sentiment about the Tourneau store in the mall. Not only are they wrong, but carry snooty attitues and high prices. I stopped browsing there after my second visit because of this.