What modern Waterman have you got?

Rique

What Waterman models have you got in your collection?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. What Waterman models have you got in your collection?

• Phileas / Kultur
    • Hemisphère
    • Expert / Expert II
    • Harley-Davidson
    • Laureat
    • L´Étalon
    • Carène
    • Sérénité
    • Edson
    • Liaison
    • Preface
    • Ici et Lá

A Laureat was the first fountain pen I bought ten years ago, but I did not care for the way it felt in my hand so I returned it.

I have since owned a Liaison and five Phileas pens. Three of the Phileas pens have been passed on to others, and I sold the Liaison after using it for four years, so my only modern Watermans are two Phileas pens.

One is a newer model marbled blue with a medium nib that I bought new six years ago. The other is an older model mottled blue (looks more purple) with a fine nib that I picked up used two and a half years ago. I also have two Phileas rollerballs, one in the pen cup on my desk at home and the other in my range bag for marking targets.

The lacquer over brass pens are too heavy for me to use as daily writers, though I do admit that a friend's L'Etalon is a very nice writer. I loved the orange ebonite of the Liaison, and thought the twist mechanism was nice. The oblique nib was excellent, but it was the grip section that finally forced me to sell it--just was not comfortable for me.

I only wish there was a Phileas nib between the fine and medium. The fine is just right, but the medium is a huge jump in line width, and is really a broad nib.

Edited to add: I also have an amber shimmer Carene rollerball in my Daytimer. One thing I like about these rollerballs is they all take the Pilot G2 refill, which is my favorite.

Edited by Doug Add

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rique

• marklavar

• Dillo

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok here are my list of watermans:

-2 kultur

-1 graduate torsade marker pen

-1 graduate fine roller pen

-1 forum fountain pen

-1 fountain pen recovered with blue laquer but don't know the model

-1 man 100 (offered to my father as a present)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

In December I bought my first Waterman pen, a Medium nib Hemisphère. I found it in a newsagents clearance bin for $20. Ive always been a Parker person, not a huge Sheaffer fan. Had never thought about waterman pens, but this pen has made me see Waterman in a new light.

Its a very smooth pen, and well built.

I have an Expert 2000, slate blue, FP.  It was sent with a wrong cartridge when I purchased it on ebay.  Finally got a converter for it.  It seems substantial, and smooth.  What's the difference between the 2000 and the Expert II?  Anyone know?

Andrew

Andrew,

The difference between the Expert II and Expert 2000 is only in the colors and trim. The nibs, feeds, weight, etc., are similar if not identical.

Waterman came out with the Expert series in the late 80's or early 90's. The nib on the Expert is much different than the Expert II series:

http://www.grembowski.com/Pens/Waterman/ExpertNibsComparison.jpg

Expert II on left, original Expert on right

Also, the original Expert is a much lighter pen, and a little fatter. Starting with the Expert II, the body is brass with a lacquer coating.

I bought an Expert II in 1997, lost it, and bought a replacement in 1999. The Expert 2000 came out in 2000 and is essentially the same, it's just offered in different colors: Metallic Copper, Champagne, Burgundy, and Slate Blue. Interestingly, the 2000 is not listed in the 2001 catalog, which has these models of the Expert II:

Black Lacquer, GT, two-tone steel nib

France Blue, GT, two-tone steel nib

Oriental Red, GT, two-tone steel nib

Prussian Green, GT, two-tone steel nib

The Expert II series continues to change; it's currently availabe in the following models, according to the 2005 catalog, which is the most recent:

Brushed Chrome, CT, steel nib

Black Matte, CT, steel nib

Black Lackquer, GT, two-tone steel nib

Dune Red, GT, two-tone steel nib

Dune Blue, CT, steel nib

Dune Green, CT, steel nib

The latest addition to the Expert series is the Expert City Line, available in Urban Brown or Urban Silver, both lacquer finishes, with a chevron effect on the cap and barrel, with CT and steel nibs.

Here's a picure of some of the Experts in my collection:

http://www.grembowski.com/Pens/Waterman/ExpertArrayMedium.jpg

From top to bottom:

Expert II in brushed chrome

Expert II in Dune Green (not as blue-ish in real life)

Expert II in Black Lacquer

Expert II in Black Lacquer

Expert (I) in Navy Blue

Expert (I) in Green

I don't have any information on the colors offered for the original Expert and the Expert II series before 2001; if anyone has that info, I'd much appreciate your posting it here.

TTFN,

Grem

Edited by Grem

Bruce Grembowski

I have a Harmonie and a blue covered unclear model, presumable a student pen, which I rarely use due to its extremely dry nib.

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

I've had a few Waterman pens, but as of now this Crusader is the only I own, and boy do I love it. It's equipped with a super sweet fine flex nib.

post-60-1170636009_thumb.jpg

I have three...all of them Waterman Phileas medium point in black laquer...I love them! When i graduate from college I'll add with more sophisticated and expensive Waterman pens.

Waterman Phileas pen kit...

Edited by InkWell

Waterman Phileas | Waterman Hemisphere | Waterman Expert

Ah..........my favourite.

Pictured with the standard M nib but used in the main with an OGB.

Never skips and starts at once. Feel like an arc welder trying to get some other pens started !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I have a Harmonie and a blue covered unclear model, presumable a student pen, which I rarely use due to its extremely dry nib.

Add to that a newly purchased marbled blue Phileas.

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 Watermans:

a nice clear blue Phileas fine,

and a Stainless Hemisphere medium with the gold trim.

I will likely add an Exception full size in the near future, as I love the feel of it in my hand.

Allen

I've had the new (to me) 52 for a few days now with "account nib". I haven't fully inked it yet though as I've been busy working on a Smith Corona Typewriter for some work up in CT. I'm psyched though to have a classic with a nice non-flex nib for some of my daily work. I'm totally going to get it up and going this week though.

• 6 years later...

I've been using my Phileas for sometime now,

Recently decided to order a hemisphere Black GT with medium nib,absolutely love it..

It's been barely a week and I'm already planning to get a carene.who said pen shopping couldn't be addictive :P

The pen is mightier than a sword

I just got a black reflex.

It's a really good quality student pen.

It's got a semi-hooded nib. Not overly smooth, but decent enough to write every day.

umm, does Graduates count?
Mine writes like a charm :)

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

My little collection - favoring the Expert I.

Expert 1
Bordeaux:
2 fountain
1 pencil
1 ballpoint
Ultramarine (blue):
1 fountain
1 roller
2 pencils
Prussian Blue:
1 fountain
Black: