What modern Waterman have you got?

Rique

What Waterman models have you got in your collection?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. What Waterman models have you got in your collection?

• Phileas / Kultur
    • Hemisphère
    • Expert / Expert II
    • Harley-Davidson
    • Laureat
    • L´Étalon
    • Carène
    • Sérénité
    • Edson
    • Liaison
    • Preface
    • Ici et Lá

I'm getting a Phileas for Christmas. Lovely fat pen. All the Watermans are lovely fat pens. Except the Ici Et la and the Audace. Those are lovely thin pens that are too thin for me.

~S /:) :drool:

Well, I take that back. I got a green marble Waterman Phileas a week ago. :blush:

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rique

• marklavar

• Dillo

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone was wondering there may be too many polls at FPN, so here goes another one...

I´m a fan of modern Waterman pens, but I don´t see them discussed very frequently at FPN.

I am all in favor of a Waterman forum here on the FPN. Anyone else agree with me?

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

I have:

M200 - 1

M400 - 0

M600 - 1

M800 - 1

I may break down and buy an M420, I really like that pen, I just wish it came in a 600 or 800 size.

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

I may break down and buy an M420, I really like that pen, I just wish it came in a 600 or 800 size.

I agree!

I'd love to see a M600 Series Cities pen.

My first fountain pen, a Carène, and a black Sérénité. Love them both--smooth writers, with any ink I've tried.

I also have a Pelikan 400--the amber one, like in Kcat's picture. I like it, it writes beautifully, but I'm discovering that I like larger, slightly heavier pens.

Karen

THis is my initial post -- I had to register as I wanted to participate in this topic.

My first fountain pen, a gift from my wife some years ago, was a Waterman Laureat. When I broke it I sent it back to Waterman (checking the box on the form indicating that it had sentimental value). They were unable to repair the break, but returned it along with a new Laureat. The only charge was the $10 for shipping and handling.

So...in Watermans I currently have a Man 100, Charleston (an underrated pen), a Harmonie, and three Laureats (including the broken one). The only one I keep consistently inked and used is the Man 100.

I'll have to vote in the informal Pelikan poll as well, with a P22 Culture, two M200s (one the Citroenpers version), two M400s, and two M620s. One of the 620s (a Shanghai) is one of the two pens I consistently use; the other is a Namiki Nippon Art with a medium nib. I've found that it's the pen I always reach for first. Must mean something.

• 2 weeks later...

Laureat - 1 -> a gift and my sole FP for years - the gold's worn of the nail of a nib. Rarely used these days.

Hemishperes - 1 -> also a gift and my second FP. Matte black w/ gold trim. Not a bad little pen, but newer pens have taken its place in the rotation.

Hmmm... Are these brass (I think?) bodied pens the reason I expect a FP to have a little heft?

Ryan.

My first 'real' fountainpen was a Charleston (black of course, I really don't like the other colors it comes in), then an Edson (blue), then a Serenite (the wooden version) and finally an Expert II in matte dark grey.

All great writers and never any problems, except with the Edson because the nib was a bit scratchy but that was easily fixed (wimg wrote an article that I followed, thanks btw!)

Watermans are IMHO just good fountainpens, a bit heavy in general, but they seem to lack something special (couldn't say what exactly though.) The Serenite and the Edson may be exceptions to this rule, but then they are rather more expensive (especially when you buy them in Europe!)

E.

Hi E.,

My first 'real' fountainpen was a Charleston (black of course, I really don't like the other colors it comes in), then an Edson (blue), then a Serenite (the wooden version) and finally an Expert II in matte dark grey.

All great writers and never any problems, except with the Edson because the nib was a bit scratchy but that was easily fixed (wimg wrote an article that I followed, thanks btw!)

It's only a pleasure, I enjoyed writing that! :D
Watermans are IMHO just good fountainpens, a bit heavy in general, but they seem to lack something special (couldn't say what exactly though.)
I think it is a bit in the eye of the beholder, and what you like. All of the Waterman pens look rather different, with the exception of the Charleston, the Expert, and the Harmonie it is if I am not mistaken. And even those look entirely different to me.
The Serenite and the Edson may be exceptions to this rule, but then they are rather more expensive (especially when you buy them in Europe!)

E.

Well, what about the Carène, the Liaison, the Exception, the Ici et là, and all the other pens listed here in the poll? I think they all are special, in their own way. There are not that many big pen companies around these days, that make that many so different looking pens, IMO. There is something available for everybody.

Maybe they are boring because they are so reliable? :D :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Wim,

You're right about the weight, in fact I tried the l'Etalon once apart from the pens I mentioned, that one too has a brass body with lacker(?) around it. It feels quite heavy, but I don't know too many other Watermans from personal experience. The newest addition to the range (I forgot the name, exception?) also has a brass body underneat IIRC.

Each of my Watermans has something special, at least to me, but they are less fancy than say Stipula's with different finishes &c Perhaps Waterman is the Volkswagen or Opel of fountainpens, there are a lot of them around, but not really exciting? (not trying to start a flamewar about cars here, nor about Stips, though Omas is better ;)

E.

PS. better IMHO of course

• 3 weeks later...

My first "nice" fountain pen was a Waterman Lauret set my wife got me for our anniversary (seems to be a trend). If she only knew what she was getting me into...

Phileas

Kulture

Lauret (Set)

Carene

and one not on your list - probably out of production for a few years now, a "Gentleman"

Oh, and I bought my wife a Lady Agate (sp?) when she got her Masters

I haven't bought any Waterman pens lately as I think I sort of got my fill of the laquer-over-brass feel (I own more Waterman's than any other brand save Parker). The Charleston is tempting and a cool direction for Waterman, but I have too many other wanna-buys in line. But I think they're a very good pen, especially the nibs which I find to be very consistent - from the $30 Phileas to the $300 Carene mine have all written well right out of the box.

Ryno

I have owned two Watermans, a green marbled Phileas with a fine nib and a black Laureat with GFT and M nib. I liked them both as smooth writers that started immediately and wrote with an adequately wet line. The only reason that I have them no longer is that I thinned he herd by giving pens to my kids.

I mostly have modern low- to medium-price pens that write well and I rate the Watermans very highly.

Sometimes a technology reaches perfection and further development is just tinkering. The fountain pen is a good example of this.

Where's the option for "none"? For those of us who've had too many bad experiences with Watermans.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Ooops, I forgot about my blue/purpulish Phileas. it's a pen I don't use much.

I also have to Expert IIs, that I got new for $19.95 each B) , a blue and a green, both with the marble finish.

I guess I need to update my list with a black Liaison B)

I also need to mention that with very very minor nib touchups, two of my Watermans have turned into nice smooth writers with proper flow. I should do such minor finishing of all of my nibs. I felt some grief about my Liaison at first (which I reported in a different thread), but now I love it :bunny1:

I have 3 Watermans. The first two, both Phileas Demonstrators, were purchased on ebay, one in Glitter Green and one in Glitter Orange, allegedly never sold here in the U.S.. The other is a Black Phileas. All three are medium nibs, which I now regret.

Randy

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books (John Wayne in "The Shootist")

I have a few waterman pens but for the most part, they are not my favorite. I have a few Phileas, Expert and a recent buy, an orange ebonite Liaison broad nib that was stubbed. This is a nail of a nib but it is an interesting writer. I have fun writing with it and it is not a small pen either. I have been using this pen ALMOST non stop this whole week. i enjoy the way you twist the knob on the rear to unscrew the nib unit to fill it up!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Ever since I tested an Edson I've been lusting for one... still saving up.

Have a pint-size green enamel waterman purse pen with a squeeze filler that's fun. Also a Phileas which is reliable but otherwise just an ordinary writing experience.

Am waiting, waiting,, WAITING for my new Exception with the stub nib to arrive... so I was glad to read that at least someone out there is enjoying theirs!

I'm getting more and more interested in the Waterman "vintage" 60s & 70s pens, which have striking designs & look more contemporary to me than most modern Waterman pens.

Petra