FOR SALE: Parker 28 1/2 Lucky Curve

vintpenz28

I have a Parker Lucky Curve 28 1/2 for sale. I stumbled upon this quite unknowingly (see attached post) and had no idea what it was. I feel that this pen would be better suited in a more avid collector/restorers hands rather than myself. I have had it appraised by a couple individuals but before posting what it was appraised at, I thought I would give everyone here a chance to have a go at it. I will say that lowballing is not really what Im looking for and that you should read my post (see attached) for pictures and an idea of what its worth. If you'd like more info, feel free to PM me! Thanks!!!

Previous Post with Pictures

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david i

• vintpenz28

• Rick Krantz

• Michael McNeil

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well since the response has been generally well below what was appraised, I'll throw it out there that it was appraised at anywhere from 800-1400 dollars or more (by Michael at Northwest Pen Works- Thanks Michael!!!) So I hope this helps this thread come alive!!!!

Ok well since the response has been generally well below what was appraised, I'll throw it out there that it was appraised at anywhere from 800-1400 dollars or more (by Michael at Northwest Pen Works- Thanks Michael!!!) So I hope this helps this thread come alive!!!!

I think Michael's offer is superb. Given the condition of the pen, i suspect i could not sell it for close to that, never mind buy it. Not sure i'd go to that range as a buyer even if the pen had perfect chasing, original black color, etc, though maybe as a seller, if pen were superb. Those buying for collection of course having more wiggle room than those buying for resale. Still...

I recommend- speaking as a fellow who buys and sells a fair number of old pens- taking advantage of that offer. I have doubts you will see higher, but hey, i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

regards

david

Edited by david i

I think Michael's offer is superb. Given the condition of the pen, i suspect i could not sell it for close to that, never mind buy it. Not sure i'd go to that range as a buyer even if the pen had perfect chasing, original black color, etc, though maybe as a seller, if pen were superb. Those buying for collection of course having more wiggle room than those buying for resale. Still...

I recommend- speaking as a fellow who buys and sells a fair number of old pens- taking advantage of that offer. I have doubts you will see higher, but hey, i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

regards

david

I wish he had offered to buy the pen but unfortunately he was just appraising it for me. Hence the ad on here! As a college student, I think this pen would be better off in a more serious collectors hands, not mine. Hopefully someone out there is looking for this baby! *fingers crossed*

Maybe you can trade a few good pen from him for that appraised of US$800 to US$1400. You will be better off using the trade d pen....... Do take the offer sooonnest. You are of better luck than many here........

regards

david

I wish he had offered to buy the pen but unfortunately he was just appraising it for me. Hence the ad on here! As a college student, I think this pen would be better off in a more serious collectors hands, not mine. Hopefully someone out there is looking for this baby! *fingers crossed*

As someone who only collects early Parkers, I must tell you that the appraisal you received for the pen is inflated by at least double, if not more. I'm not saying this because I want to get it from you for less, because I'm not interested in buying it as I already have two of these. The appraisal you received would only be valid if the pen were in 100% pristine condition. A heavily discolored pen such as this, without the ability to examine it in person for flaws, would likely sell for no more than $300-$350.

As someone who only collects early Parkers, I must tell you that the appraisal you received for the pen is inflated by at least double, if not more. I'm not saying this because I want to get it from you for less, because I'm not interested in buying it as I already have two of these. The appraisal you received would only be valid if the pen were in 100% pristine condition. A heavily discolored pen such as this, without the ability to examine it in person for flaws, would likely sell for no more than $300-$350.

And then there is the "spread" for those who buy for resale.

Heck, in this condition in the originally cited price range and in the condition the 28 seems to be, I could probably sell a similar grade Parker Black Giant appropriately.

Come to think of it... :rolleyes:

Still, I observe that lacking "rules" in the hobby, there is room for diversity in assessments.

-d

Edited by david i

I offered that this pen realistically, barring no other defects, other than the discolor, one would expect this pen to sell anywhere from $500 to $750, maybe a bit more. Just depends on who is looking, who is buying, and who wants one. Any other defects will severely hurt the price. I don't collect Parkers, and if I had he spare coin laying around, I would consider the idea of stepping up for $500 on this. 28 size parkers are tough. I would prefer a plain 28, rather than a 1/2 (chased) but how many do you see in a year? $800-1400 should get you into the black giant range, especially in this market (with a recession looming) A 28 is still a rather nice pen. I hate to say it, but I would use this one, and enjoy it. I bet with some use over time, the color might look a little better on this one over time. At least that's what I have seen with discolored pens (HR pens) that get used for a while, they get slightly better.

I really feel at this point, eBay is your primary market.

I really hope you do well with the pen, like I said previous, please consider keeping it if your situation allows you to.

Funny how we are all over the place on this one. Just figured I would ad my 2 cents on this one....

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

I offered that this pen realistically, barring no other defects, other than the discolor, one would expect this pen to sell anywhere from $500 to $750, maybe a bit more. Just depends on who is looking, who is buying, and who wants one. Any other defects will severely hurt the price. I don't collect Parkers, and if I had he spare coin laying around, I would consider the idea of stepping up for $500 on this. 28 size parkers are tough. I would prefer a plain 28, rather than a 1/2 (chased) but how many do you see in a year? $800-1400 should get you into the black giant range, especially in this market (with a recession looming) A 28 is still a rather nice pen. I hate to say it, but I would use this one, and enjoy it. I bet with some use over time, the color might look a little better on this one over time. At least that's what I have seen with discolored pens (HR pens) that get used for a while, they get slightly better.

I really feel at this point, eBay is your primary market.

I really hope you do well with the pen, like I said previous, please consider keeping it if your situation allows you to.

Funny how we are all over the place on this one. Just figured I would ad my 2 cents on this one....

discolor counts ;) Without discolor? with sharp imprints and chasing? different pen :)

d

I had to go back and look. I did not see how worn it really was.

yeah, that is a user, Probably $500 is enough. $350 is a good deal.

In the end, you will always have a pen that is worn.

I had to go back and look. I did not see how worn it really was.

yeah, that is a user, Probably $500 is enough. $350 is a good deal.

In the end, you will always have a pen that is worn.

So, would you purchase at $350? Just curious. As per some of my earlier off-forum chat, while i get hte occasional LC-era Parker in stock, i don't focus on these as much as John does on this era.

regards

david

yeah, I would probably give $350 for it, if I had the spare scratch. Not my thing, but a 28 was always one of those pens I wanted, as well as a black giant. Do you think I could pull the black giant off? Am I big enough to use that kind of pen?

yeah, I would probably give $350 for it, if I had the spare scratch. Not my thing, but a 28 was always one of those pens I wanted, as well as a black giant. Do you think I could pull the black giant off? Am I big enough to use that kind of pen?

Hey, big hearted fellows can use Parker Black Giants.

-d

I would normally tell myself to "mind my own business"- but I will pass on my own piece of advice: keep the pen and have it restored to working order. Just because the pen is worth so much doesn't mean you have to sell it- it can become a great writing friend in its own right. If you like the pen and want to use it- that's what it was made for. Of course if you really want to sell it- go for it. I'm just saying don't automatically say "sell" just because of the appraisal.

I would think that is the best advice. Right now the market is soft, keep it if you can. If you are a collector, this is a great pen to have in your collection.

Hi daivd,

I can't wait knocking at your Dr for the price of a giant better a pm across if you have one :rolleyes:

What Ray-Vigo said sound. Can consider.

Heck, in this condition in the originally cited price range and in the condition the 28 seems to be, I could probably sell a similar grade Parker Black Giant appropriately.

Come to think of it... :rolleyes:

Still, I observe that lacking "rules" in the hobby, there is room for diversity in assessments.

-d

well now i am thoroughly confused. Firstly, the reason I am selling this is that a box of pens (yes a box haha) is being sent to me from home that my dad literally found while salvaging a house. I know that this particular parker is of greater historical significance than others hence me selling it. the whole poor college student thing is also a mild factor :-D. anyways- Im not sure why you say the appraisal is inflated. Michael said that he looked at the posts on here (in the parker forum) as well as the pictures I sent him personally. I mean, given that the pen could go for anywhere up to 1400, I thought trying to get at leas 6-700 was a pretty good bargain. Perhaps Im wrong?

well now i am thoroughly confused. Firstly, the reason I am selling this is that a box of pens (yes a box haha) is being sent to me from home that my dad literally found while salvaging a house. I know that this particular parker is of greater historical significance than others hence me selling it. the whole poor college student thing is also a mild factor :-D. anyways- Im not sure why you say the appraisal is inflated. Michael said that he looked at the posts on here (in the parker forum) as well as the pictures I sent him personally. I mean, given that the pen could go for anywhere up to 1400, I thought trying to get at leas 6-700 was a pretty good bargain. Perhaps Im wrong?

Nirvana,

I have no dog in this fight as I would not want the pen.. not my collectible interest...

But, I would say that David and Rick have given you more than fair information about the actual value of the pen...

I seriously doubt you will get anywhere near what you were quoted by Michael or even what you would like to get... Did you ask Michael what he would be willing to pay for the pen... since he quoted a $1400 value.. he might be willing to go the $700 you might be willing to get... if not, then you need to ask yourself if the value he quoted is really accurate... I know that if I can purchase a pen for half of what I perceive the value to be, I am a happy camper... even if I have to restore it.

Now, believe me I am not at all saying that Michael has given you erroneous information... he has stated what he believes according to the pictures you sent him... all of us who buy and sell vintage pens have our own idea of what something is worth... but in this case two other well known collectors of vintage pens have given you almost the same value that is markedly different.

The pen is an unknown in condition other than the pictures to anyone wishing to purchase it...

It will most likely need to be fully restored by someone with real knowledge of this kind of pen and there are not a lot of those people out there that I would trust... in fact I can think of only 2 or 3 restorers that I would trust with that pen... one of them is working on a matched set of Chilton Golden Quills for me...

IMO, I believe the only way to get the kind of numbers you would like to get for this pen is to first have it professionally restored...

As stated by Rick he might be willing to go $350 in the condition the pen is now... however, if you put $50+ or so into a restoration (it might be more) you could probably raise that to the numbers you are looking to get... Sometimes you need to spend a bit to get into the game...

This is just my 2 cents for what it is worth...

Great info! I am currently trying to get ahold of Michael to see if he's interested. I guess im just trying to get a fair deal seeing how the pen COULD sell for 1000+, thats all. *fingers still crossed* I imagine i'll have more stuff on here soon after i start seeing what I have in my goodie box! haha. Anyone interested in this pen though? Im really looking to sell!