Waterman Le Man 100

Phroneo

For some unknown reason, probably because I like larger pens, I've gotten it into my mind to get a Waterman Le Man 100 fountain pen/rollerball or ball point pen set in black. (I like to be specific.) Anyway, I don't know anything about these pens except that they were large and that the Liaison, which I have in red-black ebonite, may have replaced them size-wise.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Le Man 100 fountain pens? Are they well-balanced like the Liaison? Are the Le Man 100 and Liaison nibs the same nibs? I can't seem to find any - anywhere. Does anyone have an idea as to where I might look and what price range I might expect to pay for an excellent condition Waterman Le Man 100 in black with gold trim?

Peace,

Phroneo

Phroneo's Pens

Current Pen Set Rotation: Conway Stewart 27 Green Hatch Broad Nib, Vintage Conway Stewart '58' Tiger's Eye Medium Italic Nib & Conway Stewart 60L Red Herringbone Broad Italic Nib

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFT

• satrap

• Phroneo

• French Collection

Hello Phroneo,

I own a Le Man 100 Patrician and it is my main pen. I think the Le Man 100 in black would be a Gentleman. From what I saw the Exception seems to share its nib with the Le Man. Altough my Le Man nib has more decoration than the Exception.

It's been a few years since Waterman stopped producing the Le Man so your best bet is ebay and used pen resellers. Last time I saw one on ebay, new in its original box it was with a buyout price of 555$. That was for the Fountain Pen Patrician not the set.

The Le Man is very well balanced if posted. It's weight just disappear by magic when posted (at least that's it feels for me :P). It is close to a Pelikan M1000 in term of size and weight:

Patrician:

Posted 6 11/16" (17 cm)

Capped 5 5/8" (14.3 cm)

Uncapped 5 3/16" (13.3 cm)

Weigth 1.2 oz (34 g)

M1000:

Posted 6 3/4" (17.1 cm)

Capped 5 3/4" (14.6 cm)

Uncapped 5 5/16" (13.5 cm)

Weight 1.16 oz (32.8 g)

Good luck finding one, they are wonderful pen!

Edited by JFT

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

I have one, which I bought with a mutilated nib and had repaired. The nib still isn't 100%, it skips and writes very dry, I want to, at some point, get it to a nibmeister (the guys I used the first time were more restorers and didn't grind nibs) and have it all fixed up. I very much like the size and can see myself using it a lot more often if the nib is fully restored.

For some unknown reason, probably because I like larger pens, I've gotten it into my mind to get a Waterman Le Man 100 fountain pen/rollerball or ball point pen set in black. (I like to be specific.) Anyway, I don't know anything about these pens except that they were large and that the Liaison, which I have in red-black ebonite, may have replaced them size-wise.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Le Man 100 fountain pens? Are they well-balanced like the Liaison? Are the Le Man 100 and Liaison nibs the same nibs? I can't seem to find any - anywhere. Does anyone have an idea as to where I might look and what price range I might expect to pay for an excellent condition Waterman Le Man 100 in black with gold trim?

Peace,

Phroneo

====================

Hi Phroneo,

I have the LeMan 100 in black, and also in several other finishes. These pens are out of production now. When they first came out, they sold for about 300.00 or 400.00. The Gentleman pen, to which JFT refered, is a much smaller pen, but it is part of the "Man" series (LeMan 100, LeMan 200. Gentleman, in descending order of size and price). The whole series is currently out of production, since about mid-1990s. Now, "out-of-production" means, a seller may sell the pen for anything from zero to a zillion, because the pen is rare.

As for the Liaison being the "replacement" for the LeMan, my personal opinion is "uh-uh". :crybaby: LeMan was the flagship pen, and even came in sterling silver (the holy grail, I am sure); there was also an 18kt version. Liaison is nice (I have the blue), but is never refered to as the flagship of Waterman. It is also a very different-looking pen, but enjoys no special finishes. LeMan was simply phased out/retired, and the new kid on the block was the Liaison.

My suggestion is to carefully comb eB and the various pen-selling forums. Being a female shopahunter ('holic' is such an ugly morpheme), I NEVER pay full price, so not one of my pens, LeMan included, was ever more than about half-price. :bunny01:

diane

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

Hi Phroneo,

I have the LeMan 100 in black, and also in several other finishes. These pens are out of production now. When they first came out, they sold for about 300.00 or 400.00. The Gentleman pen, to which JFT refered, is a much smaller pen, but it is part of the "Man" series (LeMan 100, LeMan 200. Gentleman, in descending order of size and price).

Thanks for the correction, and sorry for the confusion! :embarrassed_smile:

As for the Liaison being the "replacement" for the LeMan, my personal opinion is "uh-uh". :crybaby: LeMan was the flagship pen, and even came in sterling silver (the holy grail, I am sure); there was also an 18kt version. Liaison is nice (I have the blue), but is never refered to as the flagship of Waterman. It is also a very different-looking pen, but enjoys no special finishes. LeMan was simply phased out/retired, and the new kid on the block was the Liaison.

On that aspect after seeing them side by side I'm quite convinced the Exception nib is derived from the Le Man :thumbup:

I have one, which I bought with a mutilated nib and had repaired. The nib still isn't 100%, it skips and writes very dry, I want to, at some point, get it to a nibmeister (the guys I used the first time were more restorers and didn't grind nibs) and have it all fixed up. I very much like the size and can see myself using it a lot more often if the nib is fully restored.

Sorry to hear this, I wish you can get it back to full health they are wonderful writers.

Good Luck with the repairs :)

The Man 100 is the best pen Waterman has made in the last 50 years.

It is MUCH larger than the Gentleman.

It is MUCH nicer than the Liaison. The Liaison has a weird nib.

It may have the same nib as the Exception, but the Man 100 posts easily and securely, whereas the cap on the Exception does not stay posted.

The bottom line: Get the Man 100. It is the best of modern Watermans.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

All I can add to the discussion is that I have three Man 100's in different finishes. All of the pens are a great size, have excellent weight and balance, and have been durable writers for many years. I have two factory stub nibs and one M. The nibs are rigid, but excellent writers. The rigidity is especially helpful with the stub nibs.

If you can get a Man 100 in any finish for a decent price, I would suggest you go for it and give one a try. The only problem I can foresee is that they are out of production and you will have to work fairly hard when you go to find some more. ;)

The Man 100 is the best pen Waterman has made in the last 50 years.

The bottom line: Get the Man 100. It is the best of modern Watermans.

Totally agree. Have a Le Man 100 and it is my favorite pen. Great nib.

I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.

Thank you all for the consideration of your replies to my post. I appreciated all of your comments, as well as the size comparison and nib examples. You have even more solidified my intent for purchasing a Waterman Le Man 100.

To that end, I think that I have a lead on one and am waiting for a second email from the person with an invoice. The pen is in black with a medium nib and comes in its original box. These are expensive, but from a collecting point of view and in comparison (the Pelikan M1000), I think the cost is reasonable.

I have been able to buy a Waterman Le Man 100 ball point pen - Does anybody know what refill I would use for that? - so whenever I get a fountain pen I'll have a matching set. And I love sets of pens, but that's another story.

Peace,

Phroneo

Phroneo's Pens

Current Pen Set Rotation: Conway Stewart 27 Green Hatch Broad Nib, Vintage Conway Stewart '58' Tiger's Eye Medium Italic Nib & Conway Stewart 60L Red Herringbone Broad Italic Nib

My Le Man 100 is black with gold trim and has an extra fine nib. I sent it to Richard Binder and had him increase the ink flow and smooth up the already smooth nib. It's in my pen case right now and I've been carrying it since last August. Great Pen! I purchased it in 1998. I also use the Rhapsody which is the 200. In my opinion these nibs are great. Get one.

Mescoff

Greetings All,

I just paid for my Waterman Le Man 100 in black with a medium nib. I really wasn't certain that I could purchase the pen until the seller sent me an invoice.

I'm excited to get this pen from the comments you all have made about the Le Man 100 pens. It should be here in about a week. When I get it, I'll post pictures of it right here - same channel, same station. So don't touch those dials, folks. And as I saw somewhere recently, if you still have dials on your TV, it's time to get a new one.

Peace,

Phroneo

Phroneo's Pens

Congratulations! I think you will like your new pen.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Congratulation Phroneo :clap1:

I look forward seeing these pictures :)

Let me add a word on favour of the other models.

The Man 200 had a series called Rhapsody that included some wonderful plastic finishes. I have several including the Caviar and red, green, blue etc.

The Gentleman is a little known, or at least little talked about model that is also elegant and just a knock-out in the metal finishes (the lacquer aren't bad either). The sections match the patterns of the barrel which makes a nice change from metal barrel and black plastic section. They are about the size and feel of a Parker 75.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All,

Well, my Waterman Le Man 100 came in the post yesterday, or so I thought. Thankfully, I had purchased from a reputable dealer because what I received and what I ordered were two different things. So let me restart this.

The Waterman Le Man 200, which I did not order, came in the post yesterday. Never having seen either of these pens before I would not have known it except for the fact that I had purchased, by description, a mint Waterman Le Man 100 in its original case. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I opened the case and took out my new mint pen only to find that it was missing gold plating along the nib section area. Didn't match my description of mint so I went back to the web site to take another look at the wording and sure enough, it said mint. However, right above my Le Man 100 was a Le Man 200. And you'd never guess but that the description said it was missing some gold plating along the nib section area.

Well, let's give lot's of credit to this unnamed vendor whose face turned red right over the telephone as he opened his Le Man 200 box to find the Le Man 100 sitting there! Needless to say, I sent my pen back and am getting the pen I ordered. Once again, the dealer was very contrite about the mistake. They do a lot of business at that company, and someone must have pulled the wrong pen - It happens to the best of us.

But this leads me to a question specifically directed at those of you who own Waterman Le Man 100 fountain pens. As you look down on your nib, under the globe and Ideal what location does your nib state - Paris or France? This is important to me so I'd really appreciate a response.

The saga continues...

Peace,

Phroneo

Phroneo's Pens

Greetings All,

Well, my Waterman Le Man 100 came in the post yesterday, or so I thought. Thankfully, I had purchased from a reputable dealer because what I received and what I ordered were two different things. So let me restart this.

The Waterman Le Man 200, which I did not order, came in the post yesterday. Never having seen either of these pens before I would not have known it except for the fact that I had purchased, by description, a mint Waterman Le Man 100 in its original case. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I opened the case and took out my new mint pen only to find that it was missing gold plating along the nib section area. Didn't match my description of mint so I went back to the web site to take another look at the wording and sure enough, it said mint. However, right above my Le Man 100 was a Le Man 200. And you'd never guess but that the description said it was missing some gold plating along the nib section area.

Well, let's give lot's of credit to this unnamed vendor whose face turned red right over the telephone as he opened his Le Man 200 box to find the Le Man 100 sitting there! Needless to say, I sent my pen back and am getting the pen I ordered. Once again, the dealer was very contrite about the mistake. They do a lot of business at that company, and someone must have pulled the wrong pen - It happens to the best of us.

But this leads me to a question specifically directed at those of you who own Waterman Le Man 100 fountain pens. As you look down on your nib, under the globe and Ideal what location does your nib state - Paris or France? This is important to me so I'd really appreciate a response.

The saga continues...

Peace,

Phroneo

=====

Wow, sorry about that mix-up, Phroneo. Hope you get teh right pen soon; dontcha hate waiting longer than expected? :crybaby: :angry: :ninja:

My 100s say "Paris". You are gonna be SO hooked! :clap1:

diane

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.