• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• James Pickering

• Free Citizen

• Taki

That is a nice sample Kurt. Can you tell us a little about the stamp?

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

Thank you for the nice greeting, Kurt. I am curious about the stamp also. What did you use as stamp ink? Nice shade.

Emiko

(I've decided to sign my real name when I post in Penmanship forum to show respect to Mr. Pickering)

Emiko

(I've decided to sign my real name when I post in Penmanship forum to show respect to Mr. Pickering)

Ah, and a beautiful name it is too! It conjures up fond memories of when I lived in Japan-- the village of Haijima, approximately thirty miles north of Tokyo, in the 1960s. What a beautiful country -- and what gracious people.

James

.......... It conjures up fond memories of when I lived in Japan-- the village of Haijima, approximately thirty miles north of Tokyo, in the 1960s ..........

I know that I am constantly prodding contributors to stay "on topic" (gently, I hope) but nostalgia leads me to add the following English transliteration of the typical Japanese morning greeting I used to exchange. Please forgive misuse of terminology or misspelling (corrections earnestly solicited) -- it has been forty some years since I employed it and my memories are fading.

I will accept all admonitions for straying "off topic".

(rough translations)

"Ohayo gozimasu"

(good morning)

"domo sumimasen deshta, domo arigato gozimashta"

(thank you very much indeed)

"anatawa ikenga desuka"

(how are you)

"genki desu"

(fine thanks)

I know there are a lot of mistakes -- excuse please.

James

Edited by James Pickering

.......... It conjures up fond memories of when I lived in Japan-- the village of Haijima, approximately thirty miles north of Tokyo, in the 1960s ..........

I know that I am constantly prodding contributors to stay "on topic" (gently, I hope) but nostalgia leads me to add the following English transliteration of the typical Japanese morning greeting I used to exchange. Please forgive misuse of terminology or misspelling (corrections earnestly solicited) -- it has been forty some years since I employed it and my memories are fading.

I will accept all admonitions for straying "off topic".

"Ohayo gozimasu"

"domo sumimasen deshta, domo arigato gozimashta"

"anatawa ikenga desuka"

"genki desu"

I know there are a lot of mistakes -- excuse please.

James

Thank you, James san (may I address you with your first name? I may be too Americanized but it seems impersonal to call you with "Mr.".)

You have vrey good memory :) I think the third one should be

Anatawa ogenki desuka ("How are you?" or could be "How about yourself?")

but others are perfect.

I've lived in Tokyo but I didn't know where Haijima was so I just looked it up. Now I know...Looks like it is a part of Tokyo now.

Emiko

Thank you for the nice greeting, Kurt. I am curious about the stamp also. What did you use as stamp ink? Nice shade.

Emiko

The stamp is one of a set, that are negatives of each other, of a rough translation of my name that I had done in Hong Kong. The stamp pad is an Aladine gold pad.

Kurt H

A nice, warm greeting, Kurt, rendered in a very well crafted ornamental style. Could you list the pen, ink and paper used, please?

James

The ink used is Sheaffer Skript of Western European manufacturer. The paper is Strathmore 300 series paper and the nib is a medium italic dip nib. I could have gotten my Rotring pen out but just wanted to toss off a quick greeting.

Kurt H

The stamp is one of a set, that are negatives of each other, of a rough translation of my name that I had done in Hong Kong.  The stamp pad is an Aladine gold pad.

Kurt H

Thanks, Kurt. I might look into getting one for myself next time I go back to Japan. I didn't realize the ink was gold...I thoght it was some sort of purple, but gold seems more appropriate for the season :)

This is a store that make rakkan (name stamps) online, but I might go to place in my hometown.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/yo(ink)aka/hanko/hajime.html

(this site is in Japanese)

A little history of Rakkan (in English)

The stamp is one of a set, that are negatives of each other, of a rough translation of my name that I had done in Hong Kong. The stamp pad is an Aladine gold pad.

Kurt H

Thanks, Kurt. I might look into getting one for myself next time I go back to Japan. I didn't realize the ink was gold...

Here's a photo of a few: Theres are the wax seals. The chops are soapstone stone with one I believe being lamb fat jade.

http://webpages.charter.net/tytyvyllus/seals.jpg

Thank you, James san (may I address you with your first name? I may be too Americanized but it seems impersonal to call you with "Mr.".)

You have very good memory :)   I think the third one should be

Anatawa ogenki desuka ("How are you?" or could be "How about yourself?")

but others are perfect.

domo arigato gozimasu, Emiko.

(thank you, Emiko)

James san

Edited by James Pickering

Emiko

That is very thoughtful of you. Now that James (rimmejar) is also posting, I shall address our sin-seh as Mr. Pickering :)

T-H Lim

Re "a very well crafted ornamental style" -

James and all, what (in your opinions) makes "a very well crafted ornamental style" (or, for that matter, a badly crafted ornamental style)?

Those looking for examples of well-crafted Italic (ornamental and otherwise) - the style that Tytyvyllus has attempted - can find much info and illustration on the subject by Googling the following terms:

italic handwriting

italic penmanship

and also by contacting the Society for Italic Handwriting (Secretary: Nick Caulkin - NickTheNibs@endwood.freeserve.co.uk )

Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair

kate@global2000.net

http://www.global2000.net/handwritingrepair

325 South Manning Boulevard

Albany, New York 12208-1731 USA

telephone 518/482-6763

AND REMEMBER ...

you can order books through my site!

(Amazon.com link -

I get a 5% - 15% commission on each book sold)

- the style that Tytyvyllus has attempted -

If I were a little thinner skinned I would be exceptionally insulted by your post.

Kurt H

Re:

"If I were a little thinner skinned I would be exceptionally insulted by your post."

Since you fortunately do not suffer from such extreme sensitivity, this bodes well for your ability to progress further in handwriting.

;-)

Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair

kate@global2000.net

http://www.global2000.net/handwritingrepair

325 South Manning Boulevard

Albany, New York 12208-1731 USA

telephone 518/482-6763

AND REMEMBER ...

you can order books through my site!

(Amazon.com link -

I get a 5% - 15% commission on each book sold)

Re:

"If I were a little thinner skinned I would be exceptionally insulted by your post."

Since you fortunately do not suffer from such extreme sensitivity, this bodes well for your ability to progress further in handwriting.

;-)

http://webpages.charter.net/tytyvyllus/100_1854.JPG

Edited by Tytyvyllus

Pardon me for commenting Kurt,

I am sure Kate will answer in due course. To me, your writing is just fine. Better than mine as many readers of my handwriting often say is difficult to read. I can read every word you have handwritten here. To James this is the primary purpose, legibility. I couldn't agree more. But talk about beautiful writing, I guess yes, there is still room for improvement. You may like to try Spencerian style. For me, I have decided to learn Italic hand.

T-H Lim