The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 45 review

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfred86

Wilfred86

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 15:28

1. First impressions

The Parker 45 has a classic design, it has not seen much change in the last 40 years (except for this version, with the "updated" clip and new cap jewel). And of course I like that design, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, wink.gif. However, I was dissappointed by the finish of the pen, some details make it look very cheap. That's a shame, because otherwise the pen is very nice.

2. Appearance & Finish 5/10

The stainless steel looks nice and modern. There are some things however, wich I don't like. For instance, the gold-colored thing at the end of the grip, where the cap snaps on, is not so well finished. I have a picture included to illustrate what I mean. Also, when you close the pen, there is a tiny space left between barrel and cap. you have to press a bit harder to "really" close the pen . positive about this slip-on cap is that it's probably more durable than a standard snap-on cap, it probably won't become loose over time.

3. Design/Size/Weight 8/10

The design of this pen is an updated version of the Parker 45 design, wich originated I believe in the sixties. The pen is 13,75 cm long when closed, and 15,00 cm when the cap is posted at the end of the pen. The pen weighs 16 grams (measured on my kitchen weigher).

4. Nib design & Performance 7/10

The pen writes rather broad for a medium nibbed pen, and wet too, but I like it. It writes very smooth, but not as silky smooth as my Parker Frontier. The pen came with a converter (the slide converter with a ball inside).

5. Filling system

Cartridge/convertor fill

6. Cost/Value

My pens were about 15 euro a piece, a reasonable price I think.

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion 7/10

The pen looks very nice, and writes nice too. The classic design is appealing, but the pen hasn't the "quality-feeling" some pens have. A few details make it look a bit cheap.

Some aditional pictures...

De pen is sterker dan het zwaard

Sponsored Content

#2 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2008 - 15:49

I think you've sumed up nicly the Parker 45.Its a basic pen but not of very low quality.For what you paid for you got good value in my eyes.
Thanks for the review.
Respect to all

#3 Sallent

Sallent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2008 - 16:13

Well, it was designed as a low bodget school pen, so expensive looks was not part of the design. Its cheap and chearful. I like Parker 45's a lot.
Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

#4 mr T.

mr T.

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2008 - 22:19

The classic design is appealing, but the pen hasn't the "quality-feeling" some pens have. A few details make it look a bit cheap.

These are nice pens, but I agree with you, the quality and finish of the latest 45 models (the ones with the new clip and the 'jewel) is worse than the earlier 45's. It looks like another example of decreasing quality standards at Parker. The older 45's are better quality in my opinion.

Sponsored Content

|