Waterman Ici Et La

Dillo

Hi,

I just got a Waterman Ici Et La in Turquoise CT. (I am not making this up, it says so on the clip tag. :P) It is not sold in the US. I will get you a review later today when I have a chance. I like it a lot. It is a pretty pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• Bear

• Frams

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Dillon:

I bought my daughter (junior in college) an Ici et La for Christmas. I've tried to induce my son to use a fountain pen in hopes that it would help his atrocious handwriting. (He is a child of the keyboard). Last time my daughter was home, she tried his pen, and liked it.

It's a beautiful pen. The only knock on it I can see is that the cartridge size seems a little difficult to find. I've ordered some from ebay that I think will fit. If they do, I'll let you know.

And if you ever hear of a converter that works with this one, let us know.

Looking forward to your review.

Bear

Is there a picture of this pen someplace? I'm not sure that I've ever seen it.

And does it not use the standard Waterman ink cartridges? My Waterman Phileas uses Waterman cartridges, which are sold at most of the big office supply stores near my home.

TMann

Hi,

Mine is newer and it uses a standard Waterman twist converter or long internationals. The old one had some barrel packing or something that prevents it from using the converter.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Is there a picture of this pen someplace? I'm not sure that I've ever seen it.

And does it not use the standard Waterman ink cartridges? My Waterman Phileas uses Waterman cartridges, which are sold at most of the big office supply stores near my home.

TMann

Here's a picture. This is the hot pink I bought for my daughter:

http://www.penwa.com/waterman/images/46813.jpg

I had not heard of the new ones that Dillon mentioned. The one I bought uses only cartridges, and only the mini-cartridges at that.

Hi Bear,

Didn't we meet hiking in Vermont? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't resist.

Regards,

Jeen

Must be another of my ursine kin. I do like hiking, but haven't had the pleasure of visiting Vermont, yet.

Bear has always been a nickname for Barry, even when I was little.

Now I'm about the size of a bear, so it fits for two reasons.

Barry

Hi,

Now for my review of the pen.

The Waterman Ici & La is a small pen made of satin-lacquered metal. It has a smooth, wet, steel nib and comes in a long lipstick case.

The nib is very smooth, wet, and stiff like most modern Waterman nibs. It has no breather hole and has "Waterman, France, F" engraved on it. Unlike many pens I have seen, this pen starts up immediately even if it is leaft uncapped for a long time.

Since my pen is the second version, it accepts the standard Waterman twist converter and long cartridges. The older model needed these short international cartridges and could not use bottled ink.

The pen come in a long, dark blue lipstick case with the words "Waterman, Paris" stamped in gold leaf on it. The case is very practical because it can be carried with the pen unlike the presentation case that come with other pens. It also offers protection to pens that get thrown into a handbag or purse, and are not clipped to pockets. My pens are hardly ever clipped to my pockets by the way because I hate that terrible clip-ball dent.

The pen is made of lacquered brass and has quite a nice solid, but medium weighted feel to it. There is a solid plastic tube that fits into the barrel to provide stabilization for the converter. The tube is permanently placed in there and screws onto the section. The pen has really nice streamlined shape, and the cap posts without fear or scratching the barrel. The cap closes with a nice click, and there are no trim rings next to the nib.

If you want a nice pen for someone who needs to use something thinner that a pencil (like me), this is the pen.

Anyway, the pen has been promoted to my favourites list.

Dillon

Dillon

Your observation about the pen starting quickly confirms my experience with two Waterman Phileas pens. They were among the first I bought--a gateway pen, so to speak, leading me on to more expensive ways to feed my addiction. They now reside in my briefcase, and give me great comfort, because I know that even if they are left there unused for months they will start quickly, and write without skipping. I haven't tried any of the more expensive Watermans yet, but I'm glad to hear the Ici seems to have the same characteristic.

Thanks for the review.

By the way, where were you able to get the new version?

Bear

Edited by Bear

Hi,

The new version is most commonly found in Europe unless the US dealers have some new stock.

Pictures

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

The new version is most commonly found in Europe unless the US dealers have some new stock.

Pictures

Dillon

Great review, Dillon!

I've seen the Ici Et La pens at the local Staples or Office Depot (which also sells Montblanc pens, Sheaffers and other Waterman pens) but they only had it in the brushed gold colour. Glad you found a pen that fits your hand so well :)

Now, the burning question that everyone wants to know... What name are you going to give the newest pen in your collection? ;)

Hi,

I will stick it in my signature for a limited time--maybe a month. :)

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

I will stick it in my signature for a limited time--maybe a month. :)

Dillon

"Amelia" is a very nice name--Bravo! :)

I think Amelie or Amelié would better suit if you ask my opinion :D and there's a film called Amelie :D

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

Nice pen :D i think this pen , Expert II , Allure uses the same steel nib.Smooth across the page and stiff like nail.Good buy indeed

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

Hi,

I actually have another Ici Et La in the mail for me. This one has shiny black lacquer and Swarovski crystals set in the cap band. :)

I will get you a review when if comes. :)

Dillon

Dillon

• 1 year later...

(revive an oldie...) Have the Ici et La owners here worked out if you can use all (what i guess are classed to be:) 'standard international short' cartridges with the 1st + 2nd gen models?

ie. can you use J.Herbin/Diamine cartridges with them? Do they leak,etc? (as its such a small pen there seems to be some disagreement about whether they fit properly or not...), so hoping for an answer from someone who knows :).

Frams

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1b.png -- http://www.stafford-internet.com/apache-logo.png -- http://fbcsaludanc.org/images/icons/jesus-inside.jpg

I recently purchased what must be one of the older models (green w/gold trim) that ONLY takes the short cartridges. It is definitely designed for the slightly thinner Waterman brand carts that are available only in blue and black :( .

However, I convinced the pen to take a turquoise Rotring cartridge, which I think is the standard size of other short international carts. It's sort of like squeezing into a pair of jeans that are a size too small... :D

The pen has been completely reliable, a good starter, no leaks or any other problems associated with using non-Waterman carts. But when you remove the barrel to replace the cart, the cart will be wedged in the barrel and you may need tweezers to pull it out.

NOTE -- according to the disclaimer from Waterman service center, using non-Waterman carts can void the warranty, if non-Waterman carts damage the pen.

Petra

Maybe the clue as to whether they can take long cartridges/converters lies in the CT or GT or whatever comes after the name? (or does that stand for something else i have yet to learn?)... (Have messages Dillon + praying he can shed some light on this debate)...

Frams

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1b.png -- http://www.stafford-internet.com/apache-logo.png -- http://fbcsaludanc.org/images/icons/jesus-inside.jpg

Maybe the clue as to whether they can take long cartridges/converters lies in the CT or GT or whatever comes after the name? (or does that stand for something else i have yet to learn?)

Usually Chrome Trim and Gold Trim.

Michael Randall :: PigPog - Cult Pens (UK)