Ultraflex

NNanda

Approximately 35 years ago I owned a wonderful pen with a retractable nib that I think was mfd by the Pelikan group. When the nib was retracted you had to hold the pen upright, so the cap was the only real seal (this is different than current retractables, where the pen is sealed with the retraction of the nib). Now, go ahead and laugh an lecture me, but I used to fill this pen with India Ink - NOT Fount India, but the real stuff, like you would use for a dip pen. This is important, because all the Fount Indias are so wimpy and non-black. Damn if this retractable pen never clogged...would that I hadn't lost it. It had a very flexible nib and was great for drawing. Does any one remember this pen and, moreover, is there anything else like it that is out there today.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Propas

• stevlight

• deavonden

• likes black

I have never heard of it and am amazed that it ever existed. Back in the 60's I had a fountain pen MADE for india ink and IT clogged! I am also surprised at your assesment of Font India being wimpy and non black. I never found that to be true either. One fountain pen ink that is-in my humble opinion- a pretty black ink for fountain pens is Pelikan 4001

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

The Pelikan company was a very late entrant into fountain pen manufacturing with their then revolutionary differential piston filling system. Read the history here: http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-index.html They completely eluded making the type of safety systems that your memory seems to suggest. The pen of your memory could have been any one of a large number of safety pens but if German is likely a Mont Blanc since they were kind of stubborn in continuing to produce them even as late and alongside their version of the new-fangled piston filling.

But using India ink on a fountain pen is nothing novel, that’s how quite a number of them succumbed to premature congestive failure.

• 1 month later...

I too had one of the India ink pens described above. I still have it but the raising and lowering device is broken. Indeed it never clogged. The only wording on the pen is "UltraFlex" and "Germany". I purchased it in the early 1960's. I would love to locate another one. There was one for sale on eBay a few months ago, but it had been sold by the time I saw the ad. I thought that it was cheap at $43.

Cheers, Warren

I too had one of the India ink pens described above. I still have it but the raising and lowering device is broken. Indeed it never clogged. The only wording on the pen is "UltraFlex" and "Germany". I purchased it in the early 1960's. I would love to locate another one. There was one for sale on eBay a few months ago, but it had been sold by the time I saw the ad. I thought that it was cheap at $43.

Cheers, Warren

Warren,

Any chance you could get some pics of this pen up? I'm curious to see it.

Best,

Summer Greer

"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

• 1 year later...

I, too, had Ultraflex pens, the regular nib and the wider music pen nib. And used India ink in them. But they were damaged in a move and I haven't been able to replace them nor find anyone who could repair them. Nothing else comes close. If anyone finds a cache of them for sale, sign me up for half a dozen.

Have you looked at the Ackerman pump pens? Not retractable, but has all the other qualities you are looking for. Be forewarned--it's a one-man operation, and it took over 2 months to get the pen I ordered, but I did finally get it.

http://www.ackermanpens.com/en/

Much Love--Virginia

• 3 months later...

I am the proud owner of an ultraflex pen. So is my mother. Mine works fine, but she needs a new cap for hers. She stripped the threads inside the cap. Anyone know where to find just the cap? She'll buy a broken pen if the cap is OK.

Another solution BECAUSE these Ultraflexs are hard to find is a waterman 52 with flex nib {or ANY flex nib pen} and Platinum Carbon Black ink. PCB is very black and waterproof just flush your pen regularly---and it will stain ink-vue windows!

www.stevelightart.com

• 5 years later...

I own an Ultraflex pen that i have not looked at in 20+ years, don't recall how I got it in my inventory. I thought Speedball made this pen because it seemed to be on the same page in the Art Supply catalogues as the calligraphy equipment and near Speedball points going back to the late 60's and 70's. I am looking at my pen now and turning the top of the pen and the nib is slowly coming down and squeeking all the way. Sounds like it needs a bit of WD40. The nib is clearly marked 14K 585 and the logo on the nib is not Pelikan's logo. Its looks like a deer with mountains behind it. This pen I may have taken in trade wayback in the 70's or 80's. Hope this helps a bit.

I own an Ultraflex pen that i have not looked at in 20+ years, don't recall how I got it in my inventory. I thought Speedball made this pen because it seemed to be on the same page in the Art Supply catalogues as the calligraphy equipment and near Speedball points going back to the late 60's and 70's. I am looking at my pen now and turning the top of the pen and the nib is slowly coming down and squeeking all the way. Sounds like it needs a bit of WD40. The nib is clearly marked 14K 585 and the logo on the nib is not Pelikan's logo. Its looks like a deer with mountains behind it. This pen I may have taken in trade wayback in the 70's or 80's. Hope this helps a bit.

First, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. The goat against a mountain is the symbol of Bock nibs.

I ruined my favorite pen, a 1980s M100, with fountain pen India ink from Pelikan. I recently bought a NOS one and transferred the nib, the only part I could rescue from the old pen. Kind of like putting a brain into a new body.

I use it with 4001 black now. I could also use Aurora black which is even darker.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang