WTT: Silicone Grease for Platinum Preppy O-rings

tfwall

So I am looking to make some Platinum Preppy eyedroppers and am in need of the correct o-rings. I'm sure some FPNer has some and probably had to buy them in a gross or something. So, I am willing to send you a dollop of silicone grease for some o-rings. The whole thing should be doable via a standard first class envelope.

Easy low cost trade. I know someone else is doing these conversions and is just swimming in o-rings...

Edited by Chemyst

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tfwall

• Jimmy James

• Rapt

• Vladimir

In the event that somebody does actually have a ton of o-rings out there, I'd be interested in trading or buying a few myself, once Chemyst is satisfied (of course). I could offer ink, postage, or money.

If it seems nobody has the correct o-rings but somebody knows what the correct ones are for sure, I'm also not entirely opposed to becoming the Preppy o-ring guy if this is something that can be done for $20 or less.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

So I am looking to make some Platinum Preppy eyedroppers and am in need of the correct o-rings. I'm sure some FPNer has some and probably had to buy them in a gross or something. So, I am willing to send you a dollop of silicone grease for some o-rings. The whole thing should be doable via a standard first class envelope.

Easy low cost trade. I know someone else is doing these conversions and is just swimming in o-rings...

I have done some modifications and gotten my O-Rings from pendemonium.com. They're $1 each. Pretty good deal.

Thanks.

Bluenotegrl

Bluenotegrl

Inky fingers are a sign of genius!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Check me out at bluenotegrl.blogspot.com

I have done some modifications and gotten my O-Rings from pendemonium.com. They're $1 each. Pretty good deal.

Thanks.

Bluenotegrl

Yup, Sam just sent me a message saying the same. If you desire to order them from Pendemonium use code LG-ORING and they are $1/ea. At that price, you're just as well off really buying the completed mod for $6.

If anyone has a set of calipers and can determine the approximate inside diameter (or just wants to do trial and error work) o-rings go for $0.005-0.03. The whole coversion of a $3 Preppy should be essentially free, sans postage, for an interested FPN once we determine the right o-ring.

Edited by Chemyst

Honestly, I think I'm willing to pay $6 each for the couple of pens I was thinking of buying to turn into eyedroppers. I'm glad they're now offering them decked out this way. I hadn't noticed this addition as of the last time I looked at the Pendemonium site.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Thanks.

Bluenotegrl

Yup, Sam just sent me a message saying the same. If you desire to order them from Pendemonium use code LG-ORING and they are $1/ea. At that price, you're just as well off really buying the completed mod for $6.

If anyone has a set of calipers and can determine the approximate inside diameter (or just wants to do trial and error work) o-rings go for $0.005-0.03. The whole coversion of a $3 Preppy should be essentially free, sans postage, for an interested FPN once we determine the right o-ring.

I'll be happy to do some measurements once my "free" with Noodlers pens arrive. O-rings are cheap in quantity and I'm thinking of other applications, for some so I want to know the sizes in question too.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

• 3 weeks later...

Right O-Rings seem to be M1x9.5 or M1x10. Will confirm measurements over the weekend when I can empty a pen and take the o-ring off.

Thanks.

Bluenotegrl

I'll be happy to do some measurements once my "free" with Noodlers pens arrive. O-rings are cheap in quantity and I'm thinking of other applications, for some so I want to know the sizes in question too.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

• 2 years later...

Ok, so I have done some successful conversions of preppys to ED.

The thing about O rings is that they are usually enclosed on more sides than not and the seal is generally on all of the surfaces of the O ring, both the sides and the face. At least that's what I've been told; this may not be strictly correct. The point is that with an preppy-to-ED conversion, the O ring is not enclosed (obviously) and the seal is on the face of the ring only.

If I was using O rings to seal inside a manifold fitting or pipe fitting, etc, the method of choosing the size is quite straightforward, you just measure the sealing surface and just a ring of that size.

However, with the preppy, as detailed above this process is different. I first examined the O ring that came with my bottle of Legal Lapis and the O ring was undersized. To test which size would be suitable, I got a bunch of different O rings and put them onto my pen. The chamber that the O ring sits on is 10 mm in diameter. However, if you put in a 10, a 9 mm, or even an 8 mm ring on there, because the ring is compressed on its faces as one tightens the barrel, this can easily be forced out, as a ring will readily expand when not enclosed, which is the case on a preppy conversion. What you end up with, as you tighten is an O ring which is now on the barrel or the ink reservoir and can easily just be slid off.

Lond story short, use a 7 mm inner diameter O ring, stretch it over the threaded part of the preppy and force it to the end, then fill the reservoir with ink and screw the barrel onto it. Presto. The particular O rings that I purchased were from eBay, with a 7 mm ID and 2 mm thickness; you get 50 for about £5 inc P&P from The Clarik Engineering Company (no affiliation).

The only thing that some may consider a drawback with a 2 mm thickness O ring is that it does bulge out of the sides of the preppy when screwed in tightly. Personally I don't find this to be a problem, and the slight bulging confirms to me that the O ring is under tension and acting to seal the surface. Ideally one would use a 7-7.5 mm ID and roughly 1 mm thickness.

All the best.

I ordered my O rings from amazon.com. Bought the 7.5mm X 1mm 5 pack for .99 cents.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

Also ordered 8mm, 8.5mm, and 9mm (X 1mm) to find the right size to convert Waterman Kulters into Eyedrop fillers.

Wound up using the 8.5s on the Kulters

Edited by adt475

I ordered my O rings from amazon.com. Bought the 7.5mm X 1mm 5 pack for .99 cents.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

Also ordered 8mm, 8.5mm, and 9mm (X 1mm) to find the right size to convert Waterman Kulters into Eyedrop fillers.

Wound up using the 8.5s on the Kulters

I wish I'd thought of Amazon! Although the item you linked to is in the USA, not UK, so probably would have been a bit of a waste of money.

I'm glad you found the info useful.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Just goes to show how opening up random threads on FPN leads to me wanting something. No I want a Preppy eyedropper pen...At least now I know what size of o-ring to get if I don't buy a bottle of ink that comes with the modded Preppy.