Question about Parker 75 pencil

SarahEmilie

Hello. My father owns the complete Parker 75 set. Something happened to his pencil and it would no longer advance lead, so he found one on e-bay he liked and had me bid on it. He received the pencil today, and it is in great condition. The pencil innards are different than the one he had in that this pencil isn't a twist, but rather is cap actuated. It doesn't have what I would call a traditional lead holder, but rather it has a "Parker lead cartridge" that you supposedly throw away and replace once it is empty. My question is this. Where is the eraser? The top of this cartridge has a plastic black head with what looks like a silver colored ball bearing stuck into it. I haven't looked at the pencil very hard, but can't figure why they didn't put the eraser on there. The pencil he had before was one that you pulled apart. This new one is one that screws apart. I can't imagine a person unscrewing the pencil everytime they needed to get to the eraser. Sorry for such a strangely worded post, but I don't know any other way to explain it. Parker 75 seems to have so many different varieties.

Susan

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBAM

• Kalessin

• SarahEmilie

• rkw28

I'm not entirely sure, but I think this might have been a pencil lead cartridge to convert a ballpoint pen to a pencil.

I have a 1980s 75 fountain pen/pencil/ballpoint set, and the pencil is cap-actuated to feed the lead (as opposed to the button-actuated style adopted later). Instead of a cartridge like yours has, there's a plastic sleeve inside, where you drop in leads, and there's an eraser in a black plastic carrier that was sold as a unit. Fahrney's pens in Washington DC carries them for $4/pack:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-12082

However, and this is the interesting part, the carrier is a thin-walled plastic tube, blocked off halfway down, so there's a hole in the bottom. Though I have no way to test short of buying a 75 pencil with the same cartridge, I wonder if these erasers could fit over the ball bearing and be held in place. Does the ball bearing push down at all?

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm new to the network. I hope it's OK to talk about pencil leads. I'm looking for 1.0 mm pencil leads, not 1.1 mm or 0.9 mm. The 1.0 mm size is proving to be hard to find. I purchases a tie bar (for neck ties) that only takes that size. Would anyone know a source?

SarahEmilie,

Believe you bought on eBay a Parker "Classic" (Jotteresque) MP, a later model than the Parker "75" that your dad had previously. Are these instruments "Ciselés" (silver cross-hatch)?

Still, the two series of pencils are very different. (Indeed, there were quite a few variants as this family was first produced for about 30 years (1963 to 1993) and is alleged to have sold 11-12 million units, an amazing run.) And this icon's been revived once again; it's now called the Sonnet.

Believe the Classic is 0.5mm, while the 75 is 0.9mm.

Don't discard the "cartridge," however (hard to find). Simply refill it through the business end.

As to the eraser issue, can't recall as I don't own a Classic, just a 75.

--BAM

Hello. My father owns the complete Parker 75 set. Something happened to his pencil and it would no longer advance lead, so he found one on e-bay he liked and had me bid on it. He received the pencil today, and it is in great condition. The pencil innards are different than the one he had in that this pencil isn't a twist, but rather is cap actuated. It doesn't have what I would call a traditional lead holder, but rather it has a "Parker lead cartridge" that you supposedly throw away and replace once it is empty. My question is this. Where is the eraser? The top of this cartridge has a plastic black head with what looks like a silver colored ball bearing stuck into it. I haven't looked at the pencil very hard, but can't figure why they didn't put the eraser on there. The pencil he had before was one that you pulled apart. This new one is one that screws apart. I can't imagine a person unscrewing the pencil everytime they needed to get to the eraser. Sorry for such a strangely worded post, but I don't know any other way to explain it. Parker 75 seems to have so many different varieties.

Susan

SarahEmilie,

Believe you bought on eBay a Parker "Classic" (Jotteresque) MP, a later model than the Parker "75" that your dad had previously. Are these instruments "Ciselés" (silver cross-hatch)?

Still, the two series of pencils are very different. (Indeed, there were quite a few variants as this family was first produced for about 30 years (1963 to 1993) and is alleged to have sold 11-12 million units, an amazing run.) And this icon's been revived once again; it's now called the Sonnet.

Believe the Classic is 0.5mm, while the 75 is 0.9mm.

Don't discard the "cartridge," however (hard to find). Simply refill it through the business end.

As to the eraser issue, can't recall as I don't own a Classic, just a 75.

--BAM

EDIT:

One more thing you might want to note. Dad's recalcitrant Parker 75 MP can certainly be serviced (but perhaps no longer by Parker). Likely just jammed.

Susan

Edited by KBAM

rkw28,

Not quite the right place for your question, but here's some info.

Have you actually tried 0.9mm lead in your...tie bar "pencil?" (No clue what this is.) Sure it wants true 1.0mm graphite? See this blog:

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com...e-hardness.html

If you insist on 1.0mm, here are two sources (not sure what hardness you'd prefer):

http://www.amazon.com/Faber-Castell-Super-...342&sr=1-25

http://www.pendemonium.com/ink_leads.htm

You're right, though; true 1.0mm is currently an uncommon size. Still, not as obscure as a tie bar pencil...

Hope this helps.

--BAM

Hello, I'm new to the network. I hope it's OK to talk about pencil leads. I'm looking for 1.0 mm pencil leads, not 1.1 mm or 0.9 mm. The 1.0 mm size is proving to be hard to find. I purchases a tie bar (for neck ties) that only takes that size. Would anyone know a source?