F308gt4

Hello from Southern California.

Among my meager collection are a:

Pelikan M800

Montblanc meisterstruck

Namiki Vanishing Point (cool pen)

Watermans

Eversharp Skyline

Omas Extra (The plastic see-through one with steel nib)

Parker Frontier

Esterbrook

Hero (received from a chinese colleague)

Bucho-Girod (??)

Mostly mid to low value pens, since I was a poor graduate student when I began collecting them. The montblanc was a gift from my wife on our engagement, and the Pelikan was a gift on my Ph.D. graduation, and these two pens obviously have much sentimental value to me.

Unfortunately, in this modern age, we seem to do very little writing on paper anymore. Everything is word processed, and so it seems that anytime I am doing any writing, it is signing something. Ever since the popularization of the cheap ink-gel pens for notes, etc., my fountain pen usage has dropped significantly. Also, I had the nasty habit of dropping my pens, which makes them much less practical.

Recently, I dusted off my pelikan, and brought it to work. I use it mainly when signing documents like reports, SOP's, etc, and notes. I don't take it out of my office, for fear of dropping it. I'm glad to be back to using it.

I have learned that I definately prefer the modern pens to vintage, mostly because of convenience (don't leak, tend to hold more ink, some use cartridges for ease of use). As a result, my vintage pens aren't getting used. I'd consider selling them, but doubt that they would be worth enough money to make it worth the hassle.

My pelikan has a fine tip, but I am considering purchasing a medium tip. Does anyone know of a place to puchase new nibs cheaply?

Sorry for the long-windedness.

Dom

post-31-1132163109_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• F308gt4

• KCkc

• Dillo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

http://www.swisherpens.com has nibs.

Vintage pens are actually worth plenty. Pens don't depreciate in price as much because they are still usable. Some vintage pens gain price in fact. I like vintage pens because of some of the special feature they had like ebonite feeds and flexible nibs. If you are concerned about dropping your pen, consider the Lamy 2000. It should survive quite well because it is made of fiberglass and Makrolon. Just don't drop it when the cap is off.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

That's no meagre collection, Dom!

I've known a few people who have shunned vintage pens, but have made an exception for the Parker 51. It seems to be the one vintage model that appeals to new pen fans.

Welcome to our community.

Ray

Nice collection.

Regarding writing opportunities, there are others here in the same boat - namely me :blink: . I look for opportunities to write -- any excuse to use an FP.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hello from Southern California.

Dom

Welcome, if you are interested, there is a Southern California Pen Club meeting this SAturday 11/19/05.

This is the link to PenTrace announcement:

http://members2.boardhost.com/pentrace/msg/500122.html

This is the link to the web site (new):

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCPCC/

Hope to see you there (I am trying to attend this meeting)

Edited by KCkc

Forgot to mention it earlier - I gather from your username that you are either a fan or owner of a Ferrari. Which is it?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Welcome from another So Cal pen nut!

Unfortunately, in this modern age, we seem to do very little writing on paper anymore.

Yup. 'Tis a shame. Hopefully the pendulum will eventually swing back the other way... because I can't read many of my students' handwritten papers.

Vanessa

Hi Dom,

Just one state across the desert from you. :P

If this gang has anything to do with it, FPs will soon outpace word processors for the written word. :lol:

For Pelikan nibs, Up in the SFO area, John Mottishaw at http://www.nibs.com/

Way over in N.H. is Richard Binder at http://www.richardspens.com/

They both have the advantage of being extraordinary nib mechanics in addition to sales outlets.

Welcome and enjoy.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Namiki Vanishing Point (cool pen)

My pelikan has a fine tip, but I am considering purchasing a medium tip.  Does anyone know of a place to puchase new nibs cheaply?

Oh, couple of other thoughts :

1. I think I can see from the photo that your retired model VP is broken off at the clip area (the one at the bottom of the screen). If so, you can still send it back to Namiki for a replcaement barrel.

2. You can find customized nibs from Richard Binder at :

http://richardspens.com/?page=newp_cny.htm

Or Swisher pens also carries standard Pelikan Nibs.

Edited by KCkc

Thanks for the replies everyone!

KCkc, I will try to make it on sat, but can't commit for sure yet (I've got 2 little kids that take up the bulk of my time...).

I will look into everyones recommendations for nibs, and will ask the wife to get me one for christmas.

southpaw: Both. My user name stems from my 1975 308 GT4. I am a big fan of italian cars, and also own a 91 Alfa 164. I've had several italian cars before these. My wife says I just don't learn from my mistakes... :)

Thanks!

Dom

southpaw: Both. My user name stems from my 1975 308 GT4. I am a big fan of italian cars, and also own a 91 Alfa 164. I've had several italian cars before these. My wife says I just don't learn from my mistakes... :)

Ahem . . . err. . . pics? :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Dom, that's one sweet Dino. Thanks for the pics - great photo album.

Hi Dom and welcome to FPN! :D

Hey, I have a maroon Omas Extra with clear (well not so clear since my PR Plum ink stained it :angry: ) ink-view window, too! I can see it in your photo above. Did your pen's window get stained as well? I have the one with the gold (or is it gold-plated) nib and it's a very smooth writer :)

Edited by Maja

Hey, I have a maroon Omas Extra with clear (well not so clear since my PR Plum ink stained it :angry: ) ink-view window, too! I can see it in your photo above. Did your pen's window get stained as well? I have the one with the gold (or is it gold-plated) nib and it's a very smooth writer :)

Hi Maja,

Thanks for your welcome. Yes, mine is stained as well, from the first time I used it. My nib is gold plated.

Dom

Edited by F308gt4

Hi Maja,

Thanks for your welcome. Yes, mine is stained as well, from the first time I used it. My nib is gold plated.

Dom

Thanks for the reply, Dom. I was fortunate (in a way) that my maroon Omas Extra was stained with the colour of PR Plum. After I washed it out with soap and water and used a Q-Tip to scrub the barrel, I was left with a very pale pink pen barrel which complements the maroon cap and piston knob :rolleyes:

Hello DOM and welcome to the Fountain Pen Nuthouse! I am sure that we can also increase your love for fine Italian made fountain pens, in addition to you love for their great automobiles! :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I hope you like your new Pelikan M800 nib unit!

I will send it to you when I get it.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon