Greetings from Hershey, Pennsylvania

MarkVB

Hello all. Some of you I already have the privilege of knowing from Pentrace.

I'm new to the Fountain Pen Network, but have been using fountain pens for 25+ years and seriously collecting them for about six years.

My primary collecting focus is Pelikan (vintage, modern and ephemera), though I dabble in some other areas (other vintage German piston-fillers, Japanese pens and "cool" pens).

MarkVB

p.s. Yes, I do smell chocolate on my way to work each day.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarkVB

• KCat

• southpaw

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Mark,

Welcome to FPN, often referred to as the Fountain Pen Nuts.

Nice to have some newcomers here that have a focus to their FP activities. Many of us (present company included) are wandering aimlessly about adding to our accumulations without much or any focus at all. Funny thing, though, is that we're having just as much fun as the focused collector. :P I think that's what makes it a great interest, room for all! :)

Enjoy the hi jinx here. It's all in good fun.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Welcome aboard! Didn't hang out at PT, so haven't had the pleasure, but glad you've decided to come over from the dark side of the force :lol: :lol: :lol: (just kidding). Glad to have another long-time dedicated enthusiast/expert to learn from. I'm guessing you have a rather large collection, particularly of Pelikans. What are you top 10 favorite pens - including the Japanese and other Germans? See you around the boards.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the kind welcome.

AZ and Richard: I'm going to try to make Philly, but I may have a conflicting work obligation. I'll definitely be at DC.

Southpaw: Two ways to answer "my top 10 pens"--as collectibles or as users. I'll go with the favorite users. These aren't in rank order, only the order I thought of them (and the answer would be different on a different day).

Namiki VP

Pelikan 600/620

Pelikan 900 (Toledo)

Pelikan 400NN

Pelikan 100/101N (particularly the tortoise)

Pelikan M200/250

Aurora Cellini LE

Nakaya cigar model

ST Dupont Orpheo Vertigo

Damn near any of my vintage MBs (but particularly the 256, 146 and 136

And yes, I have a few Pelikans :)

How about you?

Mark,

Thanks for the glimpse. I'm surprised more of your top 10 users weren't Pelikans! :lol: Actually, just from the glimpse you provided, looks like you are a Pelikan fan big time. Lots of nice pens listed there.

How about you?

Well, I'm still something of a newbie - only been into FPs since April. If I had to list my top favorites right now, it would be (in no particular order):

Stipula Duetto LE

Visconti Van Gogh (only pen I actually have 2 of)

M200 w/ Binder 0.6 mm stub (which has a lot to do with why I like it)

Bexley Submariner Grande with stub

Bexley Sheherazade

Signum Orione

Sheaffer Cobalt Glow Balance II

Regarding Pelikans, I had an M805 blue stripe, but we just didn't click. One day I'd love to get a 620 city series, but they are a bit $ most of the time - but who knows . . .

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I can confess that some of my Pelikan addictions can be directly traced back to the excellent articles and pictures that Mark has written in the past (and that Antoniosz refers to in the previous post). These are outstanding and a fantastic intro to the world of Pelikans.

philm

By the way for those of you that do not know him these are some links to some of MarkVB's articles on the Pelikans on PT.

here, here,here, and here

Great articles! Thanks for the links AZ.

Thanks guys.

I enjoyed writing those articles. I do plan to write some more, but first I need to dig out my "photo" studio--at the moment it's buried under ceiling tiles that I took down in my basement. <_<

Dennis Bowden and I have talked about collaborating on an article outlining the differences in the three series of 400 pens (50s, 80-90s, and late 90s to the present).

Other ideas:

Pelikan advertising pieces/ephemera

Pelikan 200/250 series (there are more than 20 variations)

Pelikan Celebry (very much underrated pen if you like slim, metal pens--reminds me a lot of the Targa)

welcome mark, i'm relatively new myself.

i stayed at the hershey hotel just last week. very nice place. that milton hershey was quite a man, and left a great legacy in the hershey school. i'm a little chocolated out, tho... :sick:

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

Took ya long enough. (Right, I have a lot of room to talk... :) )

uh huh... no comment, Richard.

Welcome to FPN, Mark. Another Pelikan Addict, Yeay!

In my unpacking the other day I discovered printouts from some of your older Pel articles. Keepers for sure.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Pelikan 200/250 series (there are more than 20 variations)

i really should read ahead...

that particular topic would greatly appeal to me. I love my 400s and my new Piazza Navona, but the 200s are the little workhorses (workponies?) of modern Pels.

if'n ya ever have a pre-'97 blue marble "user" just lying around that you wanna get rid of cheap... well, you can always find me here on FPN. :) Shoot, i don't even need it to have a nib.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hello Mark

Be welcome. I searched in my archive because I remember that we changed some mails talking about Kaweco. OMG it was more than 2 years ago! As time goes bye.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

Dave: Glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Hershey. Milton Hershey definitely left his imprint on the town.

KCat: I have two of the old style marbled blue 200s--one of them is a standard model; the other has an engraved cap, commemorating Pelikan's 150th anniversary in 1988. Sorry, neither is for sale. :D

Thomas: I remember our exchange. You have me some great info about vintage Kawecos--a brand that doesn't get enough attention. In addition to being great writers, I like that they are regularly found in colors other than black (unusual for German vintage pens).

KCat: I have two of the old style marbled blue 200s--one of them is a standard model; the other has an engraved cap, commemorating Pelikan's 150th anniversary in 1988. Sorry, neither is for sale. :D

ehhhh.. bite me!

(she said, affectionately)

oh well... it was worth a shot.

KCat

By the way for those of you that do not know him these are some links to some of MarkVB's articles on the Pelikans on PT.

here, here,here, and here

Yep, Mark's "Why Pelikan?" article fuelled my interest in that great pen company when I was just starting out in the hobby three years ago or so :)

Welcome to FPN, Mark! :D

I definitely have seen you posting on Pentrace, so it's nice to have you here, as well. I read both FPN and PT and get a lot of enjoyment from both.