Namiki Raden Vanishing Point

French

See, if it had a dark blue background, I'd buy it. But black? No.
Really? The black turns you off that much? Have you seen it first hand yet, Deirdre?

Yes and yes. Despite my collecting marine-themed pens, and this being one, it's not one I would buy.

Ah, I see now. I should've figured that one out (the marine theme). :) Speaking of the theme, what's the most outrageous pen you have based on it?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• MYU

• French

• Hennypenny

I should've figured that one out (the marine theme). :) Speaking of the theme, what's the most outrageous pen you have based on it?

The one in my avatar: Ancora Jules Verne 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Mine's blue, but you can see from this red one that it's a fancy schmancy pen:

http://www.pensinasia.com/Anjvlusfp73.jpg

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Those last few pics, really show off the Raden finish, but Like Deirdre, this color just doesn't do it for me. IMHO, the orange LE is much prettier. The color just pops. And filled w/ Diamine Orange--very nice indeed.

Edited by Tony the Tiger

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

Despite my collecting marine-themed pens, and this being one, it's not one I would buy.

I was about to ask what is marine-themed about the Raden but then I realised... sea shells!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Despite my collecting marine-themed pens, and this being one, it's not one I would buy.

I was about to ask what is marine-themed about the Raden but then I realised... sea shells!

Yep, about as marine-themed as it gets. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Time to write a letter to Pilot, asking them to do a Decimo Raden. And mixed in with the urushi would be a frothy dark blue shimmer surrounding the abalone shell fragments, giving a sense of the sea. What do you think? :)

Time to write a letter to Pilot, asking them to do a Decimo Raden. And mixed in with the urushi would be a frothy dark blue shimmer surrounding the abalone shell fragments, giving a sense of the sea. What do you think? :)

Sounds good! I'm hoping for a Black decimo with a pearl finish. But either one of them is fine!

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

As the owner of a Vanishing Point I have to say that the Raden does look beautiful. It's a lot of money but worth every penny just for the hours of fun you could have staring at all those colours. I think the comparison with a star cluster is a valid one; it's just like looking at the Pleiades or the Beehive. Or through a kaleidoscope.

Now a raden Decimo might just tempt me. Wonder if they ever will do one? I'd also like the Decimo in orange.

Those last few pics, really show off the Raden finish, but Like Deirdre, this color just doesn't do it for me. IMHO, the orange LE is much prettier. The color just pops. And filled w/ Diamine Orange--very nice indeed.

Oh my, orange over Raden? You are being facetious right? I would put orange at the very bottom of the list.

I don't doubt that you're being serious. This just shows how useless it is to argue over a matter of taste and how much tastes differ when taken on an individual basis. You say that orange is "much prettier" than my favorite design, and I say orange is one of the most dreadful of them all. I would guess that most people like Raden over orange, but there is no truth in the matter of which is the better design.

Oh my, orange over Raden? You are being facetious right? I would put orange at the very bottom of the list.

I don't doubt that you're being serious. This just shows how useless it is to argue over a matter of taste and how much tastes differ when taken on an individual basis. You say that orange is "much prettier" than my favorite design, and I say orange is one of the most dreadful of them all. I would guess that most people like Raden over orange, but there is no truth in the matter of which is the better design.

I bought an Orange VP LE, and never bought a Raden one. So I'm right there with Tony.

It's quite a beautiful orange, ever so slightly sparkly. Ethernautrix now has that pen.

deirdre.net

• 2 months later...

A few more shots of my Raden, taken at the beach. I didn't have a light diffuser to tone down the harshness of the sunlight, but the abalone shells still look nicely pronounced.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Pilot/VP-Raden_posing.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Pilot/VP-Raden_pouch.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Pilot/VP-Raden_pouch2.jpg

I should duly note that the pen pouch is courtesy of Phthalo -- she hand made it! :)

Edited by MYU

• 7 years later...

It's a bee-uuu-tiii, and that's that! No more raining on our pa-RADEN !!! HP

LOL. Too funny!

Just ordered this pen and am expecting it in the mail next week. I own another VP and I like it. I am inexperienced with FPs and don't have much to compare it to. Obviously, those little sparkles spoke to me.

Edited by wendiekeller