The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Sahara Impressions

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wil

wil

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:50

First Impressions
At first, I wasn't sure what to expect from the new body style as I never had a chance to check out the Niagara Falls. I am glad to say that the tweaks on the new body style enhanced the writing experience of a very usable design.

Appearance and Finish
One of the reasons why I decided to purchase the Sahara is because of it's unique colour scheme and design. The off-white is much more pronounced compared to the M400 honey and it reminiscent of vintage designs. On the other hand, I miss the old pelikan cap end where the black pelikan logo sticks out. The Sahara cap end has a smaller pelikan logo surrounded by a larger brass ring and everything is flushed. (Sorry, I didn't take a photo of this).

Design / Size / Weight
The Sahara is about the same size as the M600 series. However, with the added weight from barrel and larger barrel diameter, the Sahara feels like a much more substantial writing instrument. The 600 series are light, nimble writing instruments where I feel like I can write for hours without tiring. Writing with Sahara felt more like a 146. Somehow, it felt very appropriate for the appearance/design. I am really enjoying the writing experience.

Nib Design & Performance
Sahara has the typcial M600 series two-tone nib. I think most find the nib too small but I think this the contributing factor the 600 series writability. Out of the box, one of the tines was a tad off and I had to align it slightly. Unlike other Pelikan medium nibs, I thought this particular nib show a bit more character with a tad more tooth/edge.

Filling System
Better than usual Pelikan quailty piston filler. The action on the piston mechanism felt solid. Theres is no ink window unfortunately, probably due to the materials or the new shape.

Cost/Value
I have not been shopping around for pens lately and I don't really have much of a benchmark to compare to. I guess this is all relative anyway. For around $300 though, I think there is great value for the workmanship, quality, and unique design.

Overall Opinion
This is an above average Pelikan. I am not sure if this is due to the new design or Pelikan stepped up it's workmanship but I find the Sahara to be a solid writing instrument. The piston mechanism felt robust and I really like what they've done with the capping threads. Capping and uncapping the Sahara is a joy, requiring about 1/4 less turn compared to other Pelikans. The point where the cap is fully secure feels more defined where I don't feel like I am overtighting and I am confident that it'll stay capped. The larger diameter and heft is a welcome change and it's perfect for someone wanting something in between a 600 and an 800 series Pelikan. A definite recommendation if you find yourself drawn to the unique design and colour scheme.

Sponsored Content

#2 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:07

Thanks for the review. A well done explaination of a unique pen.

#3 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:30

I got to see and handle this pen at the Philly Pen Show this past weekend. It is a beautiful pen!
It has great weight, and the color scheme is terrific! Much better in appearance than the Niagra Falls version IMHO.

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#4 loplop

loplop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 19:17

I really like the look of this pen. The color scheme almost appears soothing to me. Nice writeup, I appreciate it!

#5 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:01

Thanks for the review! I'd wondered about this pen. It looked different and unique. I'll have to keep my eye on it.
Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.

#6 dare_nova

dare_nova

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 22:46

Really "hot" pen wink.gif

#7 2nd

2nd

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:17

QUOTE(wil @ Jan 28 2008, 03:50 AM) View Post

Hi, Wil.

I had seen Pelikan Sahara in other photos wich I didn´t like the color.
You have written a great review and your photos are excellent.

I have to see it live!
2nd-second
blog: Latitud desconocida
flickr Dualitea

#8 jips123

jips123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:57

Is it similar in weight to a regular m600 or is it heavier?

#9 Artful Lounger

Artful Lounger

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 19:32

QUOTE(jips123 @ May 18 2008, 06:57 AM) View Post
Is it similar in weight to a regular m600 or is it heavier?

I had a chance to test it during the Art Brown Pen Fair - it's heavier than the M600, definitely.

#10 Scriptoris

Scriptoris

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:34

I have and use a Pelikan M640 Sahara binderized with a medium (9mm) cursive italic wet nib. A wonderful writer by Richard Binder! The pen is much more beautiful in the hand than in the photos. The photos look great but don't quite do justice to the beauty and quality of the Sahara.

I do like my Niagara Falls. But to me the Sahara has a particular beauty due to its colors and the tactile design of the "sand dunes" on the barrel. The reflections of light on the surface and shape of the movings hills of the dunes on the barrel as you turn the pen, this also gives the pen a special enhancement to its beauty. The barrel is made from lacquer over engraved metal.

Pelikan tought not only about the perceptions of beauty in the visual senses of color, shape, details, etc., but also in the tactile senses when they designed the Sahara.

The Pelikan M640 line of natural wonders is a more substantial pen because it is a bit longer, fatter and heavier than the M600's or M620's. However, it feels comfortable in my medium sized hand. I think the shape, materials and design of the pen helps in its comfort, balance and usability. The M640 use the same nib size as the other M6**.

Can't deny that I fell in love with the Pelikan M640 Sahara. wub.gif

Edited by Levatio, 24 August 2008 - 06:36.

#11 njwbert

njwbert

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:19

This is a great review! Really kept me thinking on which pen to buy. I am still undecided between the M640 series Polar Lights or Sahara, or the M620 series Piccadilly Circus and Place de la Concorde. Choices, choices...

#12 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2009 - 22:29

Getting my Sahara soon - just sent off the money order this morning. biggrin.gif
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#13 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2009 - 14:41

How is the nib on the Sahara? Is it similar to what you experience with M400 BT or M1000? If it says, for example, M on its Sahara nib, it is really M like the 400 (M) or 1000 (M)?
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#14 tawanda

tawanda

Over the hill but refusing to wear roller skates

• Member - Gold

• 1,802 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 18:17

Ooh! I've wanted one of these ever since I happened across them by accident at Joon's website.

I'm hoping to see one for sale on here one day, at a price I can afford.
For Sale:
Penman Ink http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/11952-penman-mocha-ink/
Pilot Elite (Short-Long)http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/11951-pilot-elite-short-long/

#15 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:17

The tactile feel on the Sahara is very nice as it has the just right amount of ribbed waves on the barrel. It is almost the same size as the Aurora 88 and weighs just right for comfortable writing. Its color scheme really stands out from my flock of pens in a good way.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#16 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 17:32

very nice review and excellent pics
Cogito ergo sum

#17 ssmui

ssmui

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 14:40

Did the review mention anything about the Sahara barrel being "etched" ?

I mean, the lines on the barrel are actually " wavy groves" that depicts the sand waves in the desert. It is beautiful ! :thumbup:

#18 Paul34

Paul34

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 20:17

A very nice pen with a very interesting design. I personally love Pelikan pens and this one looks great.

Paul

#19 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 20:45

I really like my Sahara. I think I'm going to be sending the nib off for regrinding to a fine stub at some point; while it writes nicely, the nib just isn't very exciting, so it needs a bit of modificatin'. :)
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#20 jameswatts

jameswatts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:42

Love my Sahara.