Brian Gray, Edison Pens

Mike S.

Attached is a picture of my MB 149, Pencraft Herald (Antique Gold Marble acrylic) and Pelikan M1000. This should give a better idea about the size of the Herald. Sorry about the lousy pix quality, best I could muster with the old digital camera we have. B)

Enjoy,

John

John

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• MidnightBlue

• cmenice

• AndyHayes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attached is a picture of my MB 149, Pencraft Herald (Antique Gold Marble acrylic) and Pelikan M1000. This should give a better idea about the size of the Herald. Sorry about the lousy pix quality, best I could muster with the old digital camera we have. B)

Enjoy,

John

This is perfect. The pic looks fine to me. Thanks very much.

Brian, excellent work. I've seen your web site admiring your commitment to excellency--not just to turn pens. I've been tempted to order a pen, but two things have stopped me:

• The pen seem a bit long. This is the same complaint I had with early Nakaya pens, but as soon as they made a shorter version, I ordered one.
  • I would really, really like to have the eyedropper option. I write longhand all my drafts, and small converters can become anoying sometimes.
Congratulations, again, and keep up the good work.

I am sure that others will agree Brian that the site would benefit from a page of vital statistics for the pens, unless there is one that I am missing!

Having seen the size of the Herald I am more determined to have one, but the money, yet to be earned, is ear-marked elsewhere.

I am sure that others will agree Brian that the site would benefit from a page of vital statistics for the pens, unless there is one that I am missing!

Having seen the size of the Herald I am more determined to have one, but the money, yet to be earned, is ear-marked elsewhere.

I have the stats for each pen on the bottom of each page.

Scroll down on this page and you'll see the stats for this particular pen.

http://pencraftonline.com/page.cfm/Herald-...edBlack-Ebonite

Thanks.

bg

Oops!! My apologies Brian.

I was looking at the pages where all of the different versions of each pen are together

Thanks for the informative review!

(I have not posted it because it is plenty long even without posting the cap)

I thought a previous review mentioned that one cannot post the cap on this pen? Or perhaps I'm confusing it with a different pen :unsure:

-Mike

That may be -- I'll give it a try in the morning and see.

• 1 year later...

I am the proud owner of a Herald. Don't under any circumstances think that this pen is large. It's just around normal size with sensible weight, a reliable workhorse and has a feel that sais "use me".

Please don't post you Herald.

PS Brians choice to do away with the barrel ring was a good move.

The Herald isn't large? Did Brian make it smaller with the new version of the Herald?

I've an old-style Herald, and it's definitely large. Huge, even. Bigger than the pens that define large and oversize for me: the MB 149, OS Balance, or Duofold Senior. About as big as some of the Indian ED behemoths that I have.

Mind you, the section isn't very wide, which is an unfortunate thing for me. The main reason I personally prefer bigger pens is the wider size section. My Herald has a standard (M400ish) girth section. Don't get me wrong, it's still quite comfortable- but for the section size I'd be willing to have a shorter and skinnier pen. I've actually found myself starting to grip it at the threads or slightly above, skipping the section proper completely. Quite comfy there, the shape of the tail end rests very well in the area between my thumb and index finger.

That's my experience with the old style Herald at least, not had the pleasure of trying out one of the newer style.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

My Herald: Length 144mm and at its thickest point say 11mm. My Cross ATX (Yuk) is 2mm shorter and 2mm thinner. So I don't think it's big. Thanks. Its not big, just beautiful

Though 144 mm is pretty long, I can see where the misunderstanding it. My Herald is 162 mm long and 15 mm at the widest. Which is huge!

EDIT: Not sure when my Herald was made, but it has bushing/threads like the one reviewed- the cap has some sort of insert to add cap threads, with a plastic lip forming sort of a cap ring, with the barrel threads being part of a self-contained widget as well. Though, mine has an ebonite section, rather than the black plastic in the one in this thread. Dunno when sizes were switched up, or if yours (MidnightBlue) is a unique Herald. :)

Edited by RevAaron

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Yes you're right, mines short and yours is long. We both have Brian to thank for the individuality.

Thanks

Edited by MidnightBlue

Very nice. Edison pens is on my short list. Thank you for the review!

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

EDIT: Not sure when my Herald was made, but it has bushing/threads like the one reviewed- the cap has some sort of insert to add cap threads, .............

Mine is the new one without the barrel ring or plastic insert. I like the change Brian made. You right, maybe he changed the length as well. I think mine is probably the same as all the others in the new batch.

At least we've got one!!!!!!!

Thanks