Sheaffer Ballpoint Refills

Jeff E

Glad to see this thread active again. I just tried a new Sheaffer refill (black, medium) and it writes terribly. Big come-down for Sheaffer. I find it amazing that Bic can't make a good ballpoint refill for Sheaffer pens, when the old Sheaffer refills were always good. El cheapo pens write better. I'm mostly a FP user, but occasionally do use ballpoints and may need to either go the Monteverde or modified-Parker route, or just retire my Sheaffer ballpoint pens. How sad.

Dave

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MicheleB

• Jeff E

• davefoe

• Ray-Vigo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to see this thread active again. I just tried a new Sheaffer refill (black, medium) and it writes terribly. Big come-down for Sheaffer. I find it amazing that Bic can't make a good ballpoint refill for Sheaffer pens, when the old Sheaffer refills were always good. El cheapo pens write better. I'm mostly a FP user, but occasionally do use ballpoints and may need to either go the Monteverde or modified-Parker route, or just retire my Sheaffer ballpoint pens. How sad.

Dave

I've tried some of their newer production and it writes in a very sticky, dry way. I'm not overly impressed. The older Sheaffer refills I have are ok, better than Parker ballpoint but not better than Parker Gel. I'm actually getting better use of the Parker Jotters I have now after discovering the Parker Gels aren't bad and that the Jotters can also take Visconti liquid ink cartridges.

Yes, the new Sheaffer refills seem to be dry and scratchy, at least the ones I've tried. Somehow they have lost their previous focus on providing a good writing experience. The old craftsmanship, the attention to quality, seems to be missing more and more now.

• 11 months later...

Private Reserve now has ballpoint (non-gel) refills for Sheaffers. It feels like a smooth ballpoint, but I still wait for a good gel. The Monteverde gels are only available in fine point, and by removing and switching gels from Monteverde to other brand cartridges, I have found that both Monteverde's gel ink and roller tips are inferior.

I recently picked a Sheaffer Award ballpoint pen NOS for the purpose of use while on travel being more practical then FP's. It was fitted with plastic bodied blue refill with 'Made in USA' printed. The perfomance of the refill is just OK with being not so smooth and occasionally skips. May be I attribute it to age as it must be at least 6 years old lying unused. The pen as such is excellent, very well balanced with a thick set look, brushed chrome finish, Gold trim and a rubberised grip.

pbhat

• 2 years later...

I own some nice vintage Shaeffer ballpoints and the standard refills work good. But for some reason the refills for the Prelude which I also have, is just awful. I've read other reviews elsewhere saying much the same thing. Once you get it flowing, it's a nice smooth writer, but it's getting it flowing that's the problem. I find I'm regularly having to do one of those frantic scribbles on a piece of scrap paper to get it writing. Then if I break for even thrity seconds or so, it needs another scribble to get going again. A real pity, because the Prelude is a truly nice pen and of excellent quality, but the refills are badly letting the side down. I've been reading reviews pointing this out for several years now, and Sheaffer still don't seem to have sorted it out. Must admit, I won't be buying Shaeffer again unless they finally get decent refills out for the Prelude.

I got a double pack of Sheaffer blue refills from the Amazon U.K site recently for my Prelude Mini. No problems so far.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

Out of curiosity (and I know this is a rather old thread), has anyone found gel refills for the classic NoNonsense RBs?

I have a Sheaffer ballpoint, and I used Parker refills in it. The Parker refills don't fit as is, so what I have to do is sand off about 1/8" or so from the plastic end and then it fits. I'm much happier that way, because Parker gel refills are my go-to for ballpoints, and they're easy to find almost anywhere.

Aaron

I have not tried sanding off the end of a Parker-style ballpoint refill. What a great idea!

What grade of sandpaper do you use? Or, do you use a metal file?

In case folks do not know, Monteverde makes refills (gel ink and/or softroll -- but not both for all pens) for a variety of ballpoint pens and rollerballs. You can access the Monteverde refill catalog on the Monteverde Pens site http://www.monteverdepens.com/ or directly via the hyperlink below.

http://issuu.com/suppliercatalog/docs/mvrefillcatalog07_19_12?mode=embed&backgroundColor=%231c2311&autoFlip=true

We use a Dremel .... we have some Sheaffer BPs we use as giveaways, and it's much cheaper to buy Parker refills and adapt them rather than buy Sheaffer refills.

That being said, we sell the Monteverde Sheaffer refills and we've been very pleased with the quality. Some customers report that the gel refills run out more quickly than expected, but this might be due to the nature of the gel ink.

TERI

• 1 month later...

I really enjoy the Monteverde soft roll s13. Sometimes at work a ballpoint works best and I really enjoy the smooth non glopping ink supply. I will definately reorder this refill. Mine has supplied flawless performance.

Regards.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• 7 months later...

I have a Sheaffer ballpoint, and I used Parker refills in it. The Parker refills don't fit as is, so what I have to do is sand off about 1/8" or so from the plastic end and then it fits. I'm much happier that way, because Parker gel refills are my go-to for ballpoints, and they're easy to find almost anywhere.

Aaron

I Just tried this with a Parker Gel Refill in Black which can be found in Staples! It works great. I don't know how well other Parker Style refills work, but I can say that Parker Branded Gel Refills do work! The Pen I used the refill in is a Sheaffer 100 Ballpoint Pen. This makes the Sheaffer 100 a great writing pen which will last you a long time!

Sheaffer 100: http://www.amazon.com/Sheaffer-Matte-Black-Nickel-Ballpoint/dp/B0027P9ABG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395873197&sr=8-1&keywords=sheaffer+100+ballpoint

Parker Gel Refills: http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Refill-Retractable-Medium-30525PP/dp/B001AFB6YI

post-109873-0-10408800-1395873059.jpg

post-109873-0-69908700-1395873103_thumb.png

Edited by ahmadaamer6

I have not tried sanding off the end of a Parker-style ballpoint refill. What a great idea!

What grade of sandpaper do you use? Or, do you use a metal file?

I used a 120 grit small area sanding sponge! Any type of 120 grit sanding paper should work fine. Check your work regularly becuase if you don't you may sand too much off. Also, when putting the refill in the pen clean the top plastic bit off with a wet towel so that dust from the sanding paper does not get in the pen. Enjoy your new and improved Sheaffer pen!

Norton 82072 5X 120 Grit Small Area Sanding Sponge: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-82072-Small-Sanding-Sponge/dp/B00CAI03ZW/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1395873892&sr=1-3&keywords=small+area+sanding+sponge

post-109873-0-07631500-1395874044_thumb.jpg