Sheaffer Ballpoint Refills

Jeff E

Does anyone know if a refill other than a Sheaffer refill will fit a Sheaffer ballpoint pen? I'm not terribly impressed with the latest Sheaffer refills. I would be especially interested in knowing if a gel refill can be made to fit.

Jeff

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MicheleB

• Jeff E

• davefoe

• Ray-Vigo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Sheaffer refills are OK, not as good as the Parker or Itoya gels, but they'll do. Unfortunately, that the only kind that works with most Sheaffer BPs like the Javelin, Prelude and Legacy.

There are a few exceptions, most notably the EVT, which is made in Sweden and takes Parker-type refills.

Is that the latest made in China ones you don't like?

Yes, they seem to be a step down in quality. I was hoping there was a way to use a gel refill, but the responses seem to indicate that it is not possible.

Hello,

I have not been able to fine a ballpoint refill that fits my Crest. Like you, I am not that impressed with the refills sheaffer has t offer.

Regards,

Felix

I have a Sheaffer Ballpoint Balance II in Cobalt that I recently re-filled with a Sheaffer ballpoint refill. It writes a bit on the dry side, but I have found it is quite good for carbon copies. I actually like the fill better than the one in my Parker Jotter.

I have several targa ball points and one came with a red refill, broad. It's so wonderful and smooth. Apparently Sheaffer doesn't make anything but blue and black and maybe blueblack. I would like green and red... I keep looking...

I agree that for the most part, they're not great writers... too bad.

skyp

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just got a Sheaffer Crest BP to use when I need a BP. Anyone know of a decent refill that works and fits?

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

Hi,

Monteverde recently introduced liquid-ink and gel refills to fit Sheaffer BPs - nice range of colors. I purchased mine from Colorado Pen.

Cheers,

Jon

That's awesome! I have seen the Monteverde refills and did not know they fit Sheaffer. They look pretty good If they fit, I am one happy camper! Thanks very much.

Hi,

I think the Monteverde refills for Sheaffer are fairly new; a kind fellow FPNer alerted me to their existence. Monteverde has made Parker-style refills for a while now, of course.

As far as I know, these are the first third-party Sheaffer refills ever made. Considering that the current Sheaffer ballpoint refill design dates back to 1955 or so, they've been a long time coming!

Cheers,

Jon

I have a Sheaffer ballpoint, and I used Parker refills in it. The Parker refills don't fit as is, so what I have to do is sand off about 1/8" or so from the plastic end and then it fits. I'm much happier that way, because Parker gel refills are my go-to for ballpoints, and they're easy to find almost anywhere.

Aaron

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I have a Sheaffer ballpoint, and I used Parker refills in it. The Parker refills don't fit as is, so what I have to do is sand off about 1/8" or so from the plastic end and then it fits. I'm much happier that way, because Parker gel refills are my go-to for ballpoints, and they're easy to find almost anywhere.

Aaron

That's good to know as well. I just bought a few Monteverde's from Colorado Pen and if they don't fit in my Crest I may try the Parker gels which I like as well. Buying refills my mail order is a risky business, but sometimes the only choice.

I've had good luck with the Monteverde refills, plus you get more choices. The new Sheaffer refills are a different color blue (I buy blue refills) and not as smooth, in my opinion. Still OK, just not as good as before. Just another thing Bic messed up, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received both the gel and ink refills for the ballpen. They are smooth have nice flow with good color. I've taken a plunge and ordered the same for Cross, and a rollerball refill for the parker. (I've never been too fond of the Parker rollerball refills).

Got the Monteverde's - gel and BP. Very pleased. Prefer the gel, but both seem better flowing than the stock. Would like a wider width option, but width is OK Medium/Fine. Nice to have this option. The crest opalite is gorgeous color with gold trim and I may just get it in an FP if I ever can find one.

• 1 month later...

An imperfect solution is new old stock (NOS) refills. I typically find them on an auction site. I really like the color of the Sheaffer blue ballpoint refills that came in the red packaging. A nice blue/blue that is somehow bluer than other ballpoint refills. Blue is a bit imprecise, but it isn't any other shade than good 'ol blue. Hard to describe. Over time this solution will become harder, but that is another approach. I don't know the shelf life of a ballpoint refill, but it is definitely years. I also really like the color of the old Sheaffer rollerball, but I've had problems with their rollerball lasting...plus storage is harder on rollerball refills in my opinion.

Good to hear on the Monteverde. I do not like the new refills made by Sheaffer.

Jay

So glad to see that Monteverde has stepped up to offer more choices... I rarely use RBs and BPs, but my absolute favorites are the Legacy Heritage blue look of leather :cloud9: I like Sheaffer RB refills, but I feel the same as most of you regarding the BP refills. Can't wait to try Monteverde!

BTW, whatever happened to the look of leather line? It's no longer listed on the Sheaffer website, but several internet shops still have them in stock. Was this not a popular option?

• 7 months later...

I have a Sheaffer rollerball pen that is capped and I'd like to find a Monteverde refill to fit it, either rollerball or, better yet, gel. Any suggestions on a source?

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

Thanks everyone. I'll have to try the Monteverde refills.