Music nib: Platinum 3776 or Pilot Custom 74?

thefsb

I want to produce a broad italic stroke but don't want a nib so crisp it will be hard to write with.

Judging from https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=12423, the 3776 is spot on. But I'm curious if anyone can compare this to the Custom 74 music.

Edited by thefsb
http://www1.spinitron.com/thefsb-sig-small.png

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maqueropro

• Strang

• hari317

• Pen2009

Can't compare, but the Platinum music nib I have is not a sharp cornered/italic nib. Nice and smooth, and has been perfection out of the box.

gary

I have both pens and have used the Pilot extensively. Being a lefty is not easy and, it seems incongruous someone has never attempted to design a left-handed fountain pen. Yes, the Platinum is, in some regard, smoother and it might be slightly easier for me to grip. For me, the Pilot has been the only MUSIC nibbed pen I could use every day with my unique syle of handwriting.

If possible, try writing with both. There are a number of pen shows coming up this spring and if one is nearby see if any are available. Check out other brands too, including Sailor.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I have both, and I agree with zenshrink -- the Pilot music nib is smoother, but the Platinum offers more line variation for music composition. So for regular writing and signatures, I'm more likely to reach for the Pilot music nib. If I'm composing music and don't want to fuss too much about the angle I'm holding a pen, I'll reach for the Platinum music nib. Hope that helps.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• 3 years later...

I have both, and while I love Pilot nibs, my music nib doesn't seem to have the line variation of the Platinum.

So.. which music nib is better for you? I have to choose between the pilot custom 47 music nib and the platinum ones.

I have both, and I agree with zenshrink -- the Pilot music nib is smoother, but the Platinum offers more line variation for music composition. So for regular writing and signatures, I'm more likely to reach for the Pilot music nib. If I'm composing music and don't want to fuss too much about the angle I'm holding a pen, I'll reach for the Platinum music nib. Hope that helps.

Hi, please check out this article when the author said that the platinum is more smoother than the pilot. The pilot music nib have a lot of feedback that the platinum doesn't... I confussed

Link http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2010/08/ongaku.html

Edited by maqueropro

So.. which music nib is better for you? I have to choose between the pilot custom 47 music nib and the platinum ones.

I have all the three music nibs: Platinum, Pilot and Sailor. The Platinum is smoooth, but as expected from a smooth nib, the lines are not crisp, the Pilot is very precise, the best is my Sailor. It probably has the widest tip of the three and an amzing contrast between thick and thin strokes and the 14K nib is springy giving some nice line variation due to pressure as well. Excellent nib thst does it job with just one slit.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have all the three music nibs: Platinum, Pilot and Sailor. The Platinum is smoooth, but as expected from a smooth nib, the lines are not crisp, the Pilot is very precise, the best is my Sailor. It probably has the widest tip of the three and an amzing contrast between thick and thin strokes and the 14K nib is springy giving some nice line variation due to pressure as well. Excellent nib thst does it job with just one slit.

No. I disagree with you. After reading many reviews I have got the conclusion that the platinum music nib is the best. Sailor is the worst of them. A real and objetive comparison here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144452-music-nib-comparison/

So, I just purchase platinum music nib... thats on the way soon.

I prefer to come to conclusions based on my own experience. My first purchase was the Platinum followed by Pilot and Sailor. All the three nibs exist on the market to suit diffrent tastes. Your mileage may vary. Enjoy your new Platinum.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

No. I disagree with you. After reading many reviews I have got the conclusion that the platinum music nib is the best. Sailor is the worst of them. A real and objetive comparison here http://www.fountainp...nib-comparison/

In fountain pens, there is no consensus on the worst / the best writer. What is good for you can be the worst pen of my life and vice-versa. The act of writing is an absolutely particular, personal. The are a lot variables on the writing process: grip, hands sensibility, size of hands, writing pressure, sensibilitty to pain, skill with hands, mileage, handwriting size etc etc

• 1 month later...

No. I disagree with you. After reading many reviews I have got the conclusion that the platinum music nib is the best. Sailor is the worst of them. A real and objetive comparison here http://www.fountainp...nib-comparison/

In fountain pens, there is no consensus on the worst / the best writer. What is good for you can be the worst pen of my life and vice-versa. The act of writing is an absolutely particular, personal. The are a lot variables on the writing process: grip, hands sensibility, size of hands, writing pressure, sensibilitty to pain, skill with hands, mileage, handwriting size etc etc

Beautifully written post.

I have music nibs by Sailor, Pilot, and Platinum (and a vintage factory music nib on an old Goodservice) and they are certainly different one from the other. The Sailor - with one slit - writes very much like many of my stubs, nice and smooth but not terribly crisp. The Pilot is much crisper and shows the most line variation but it causes me to slow my writing down to form the letters. The Platinum is in between the two and is my favourite of the three Japanese music nibs as it offers better line variation than the Sailor but can be used at a more normal speed than my Pilot. Having said all that, I like and use all three and am glad I have one of each.

I juSt got a platinum galaxy maki-e with the music nib. It's my first music nib. I find that it has some stub-like characteristics with a smooth, generous ink flow. It does not slow down my writing and I do get some line variation. At first I wasn't sure I liked it but the more I write with it, the more I like it.

I have no experience with the pilot music nib but it sounds like it's more crisp based upon others' posts.

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

• 7 months later...

From some conflicting reviews on each nib, I think the difference in how a music nib writes is partly attributed to the hand tuning by each manufacturer. The flip side of this is that you could have it adjusted to your liking by a qualified pen tuner.

I am not surprised to hear some people say Pilot's music nib is more crisp. Crisp = a little slower writing = more focus on your penmanship. It seems this follows Pilot's nib philosophy.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I'm a leftie and I have the Platinum Music Nib - it's my favourite nib - smooth, good line variation and it feels wonderful.

I have music nibs by Sailor, Pilot, and Platinum (and a vintage factory music nib on an old Goodservice) and they are certainly different one from the other. The Sailor - with one slit - writes very much like many of my stubs, nice and smooth but not terribly crisp. The Pilot is much crisper and shows the most line variation but it causes me to slow my writing down to form the letters. The Platinum is in between the two and is my favourite of the three Japanese music nibs as it offers better line variation than the Sailor but can be used at a more normal speed than my Pilot. Having said all that, I like and use all three and am glad I have one of each.

The Pilot music nib I was referring to in my previous post is on a Pilot Custom from the '80s or '90s. It has a very nice, crisp, music nib. More recently, I have purchased a Pilot Custom 74 with a modern music nib and it is a huge disappointment compared to the older Pilot. Smooth on the vertical strokes but scratchy on the horizontal strokes. A step backward for Pilot (IMHO).

I just received my Pilot Custom 74 Music and I am pleased with this pen. The nib is smooth with just a right amount of feedback. I like this fine balance in the nib. I tried this nib with Iroshizuku Kiri-same and Ina-ho. The nib lays down a nice amount of line variation. :thumbup:

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)