rollerball refills dont fit in my pen!

xchrisbobisx

i recently took out a old montblanc meisterstuck that i bought a while back, and alas the ink is gone. i went down to my local office depot and bought a 'rollerball' refill, as my old cartrige said it was a 'rollerball M'. i stuck it in my pen and it did not fit, the tip would not even reach the point of my pen. my cartridge looks like a le grand cartridge but it is not a le grand. so is it possible that my pen has become outdated? and if so where in the devil do i find refills? thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xchrisbobisx

• kissing

• lovemy51

• Unic

I have experienced a similar situation with various RB's and the Schmidt refills that are supposed to fit. I ended up taking a bit of sandpaper to the plastic end cap of the refill and now it's a perfect fit.

I have experienced a similar situation with various RB's and the Schmidt refills that are supposed to fit. I ended up taking a bit of sandpaper to the plastic end cap of the refill and now it's a perfect fit.

hum i will try that...i just find it ironic that a 350$ pen is more of a hassle than a 2$ one, where i have to physically labor to make it work

Like ball point refills, many roller refills are proprietary. There are many rollers that will not use generic refills, so it is not just the MB. If it were me, I would pick up the phone and call someone like Pendemonium, Swisher of Fountain Pen Hospital and ask what refills would fit the roller you have. Note: MB refills are notorious for drying out quickly, so another brand that will fit your pen might be a good idea.

My dad loves his Super Bowl pens -- he was a journalist, and got hooked on this particular type of Parker roller-ball from the 80s, which they gave out as freebies with the press kits, and now he hunts and pecks for the refills. Every time we get to a standard stationery store, we look through the little booklet that describes what we're supposed to get, and it's always listed as available by Parker and by a knock-off after-market company, but it's always sold out everywhere we go. Everyone else must like it as much as he does. :)

Edited by finalidid

the tip would not even reach the point of my pen.

office depot (and other stores like it) do not sell le grand refills... i don't think :unsure:

i understand that MB rollers need screwing in the barril... did you do that????

Edited by lovemy51

thanks for all the replies, im going to the uptown mall tomorrow they have a luxury pen store maybe someone there could help me out, and the cartrige i have atm does not need to be screwed into for it to work, i only concluded that my pen is out of date and MB decided to update the refill :crybaby: anyways i guess MB's are not so time friendly, my ballpoint has not been touched at all for about 5 years picked it up and i could not get the pen to write, i even tried putting a lighter to the pen tip, ontop of the mad scribbling. i have had enough of 'ball' pens, i think my next investment will be in a black starwalker fountain pen. though im not all that hyped, im not sure if i like the quality of MB pens i always did think their resin felt like plastic... maybe i can sell my 3 MB's somewhere, they may be old but in almost mint condition.

If you got a Fountain pen instead, they would never be outdated :P

Any fountain pen accepts ink from a bottle of ink :lol: Yay!

yes so im 99% sure im going to get a fountain pen next, the thing with 'balls' is they get stuck @_@. and screw mont blanc, this refill incident peeves me off, all this work just to use a pen i spent 3 bills for. im going with conway stewart

• 2 weeks later...
Don't Conway Stewart cost even more? :unsure:

(but I'm sure they're worth it, if you really wanted one)

i would glady trade my two obsolete(cant use new refills, outdated) MB's for a conway stewart fountain. honestly who updates pens, a pen isnt like a car where you can swap out a new engine, or upgrade the bodykit to make it more aerodynamic etc. i mean some chinese people still use old school horse hair calligraphy pens that have not changed for 500 years. my rollerball looks the same as the ones today, but hark, its refill is outdated...thats not a good enough reason for me to drop another 350$ for a identical rollerball

I got a Lamy Tipo, patented capless rollerball a fortnight ago.

Really cheap pen - costs little less than a sixpack of coke; got it to test the quality of the refill (M66) before deciding on buying the Dialog 2 which uses the exact same refill. Hell of a beautiful pen that is.

Although the refills are dedicated and not standard, one can be sure that they are not gonna change or discontinue them. Never happened in the last 40 years.

I do not expect you to switch from MB to Lamy (although I did myself), but just wanted to point out that there is companies out there who are not fooling their customers...

Just a quick note:

Mont Blanc make and sell several different size of refills... I thought the Mont Blanc Ballpoint refills were one size only... they should fit any of the "twist" open ball points.. they also offer "fineliner" and "rollerball" refills... I know the rollerball are offered in two sizes....

If you have your old, dried up cartridge... take it to any decent pen shop and match it.

Failing that, contact MB directly and see what they advise... or check out their refills website where you can buy directly from them (more 'spenisve then other options)

I'd be wiling to bet there is a direct replacement available for pretty much any MB ballpen made... just too much margin in offering the ink to not offer it somewhere.

I was unaware that MB had discontinued any of the refills they made... perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject could offer some insight?

Edit: a quick search on amazon yielded at least two varieties of ballpoint refills... one for twist mechanisms, one for "button push" types... check it out.

Edited by OiRogers

Although the refills are dedicated and not standard, one can be sure that they are not gonna change or discontinue them. Never happened in the last 40 years.

I do not expect you to switch from MB to Lamy (although I did myself), but just wanted to point out that there is companies out there who are not fooling their customers...

Please forgive my foolish previous post - I was uninformed!!

I just read something interesting about the German company that is behind most rollerball refills today:

http://www.schmidt-feintechnik.de/

They produce the refills for Lamy, MontBlanc, Faber Castell and many others.

So chances are that you will find either the desired refill or at least information (English language version of their website is available!!).

But that makes it even worse, because they all use the same ingredient in their pens. Will they one day maybe even have the entire pen produced in the same factory and just label them differently? Oh dear... :crybaby: