The Great Ballpoint Hunt: Results

Deirdre

In my quest for the perfect ballpoint, I got some contenders and some disappointments. Results follow.

For explanation, one of the things I was looking for was a solid writing experience -- no "clickiness" (where the ballpoint refill is rattling around in the pen, especially while the ballpoint is extended), and a solid feel, where there is no retracting of the ballpoint with pressure, nor movement around the opening.

1) Replacement for my long-lost and much-loved Cross Lapis ballpoint, purchased from the Marketplace. Needless to say, since this was the pen I'd given up looking for, it's my instant favorite. Cross makes their pens have a very solid response that I like quite a bit. Based on my original score system, this one gets a 5 out of 6 (gold trim being its only downside). (Naturally, this was the pen I found last.)

2) Cleo Skribent Messograph, purchased from passion4pens.com along with my other Cleo order. Granted, this is a gimmick pen and I'll keep it in the shop so its gimmick will be useful, but it is rock solid in terms of ballpoint feedback. This one gets a 4 out of 6 only because they don't make their own refills and it is a cheap pen. I bought it for fun, not for serious use, and it'd be difficult to carry because of the calipers. That said, it might be useful in the shop.

3) Waterman Liaison Ebonite, purchased from Fahrney's. The pen doesn't have any rattling, but I found the twist mechanism somewhat mushy. That said, it writes well and has the bonus of being ebonite. Still, they only get 5 out of 6 (gold trim) and lose a point for mushiness of the twist mechanism. Update: it seems my refill may not have been seated the first time, thus the mushiness. It's fine now.

4) Visconti Wall Street ballpoint, purchased on eBay. I'd been wanting one of these blue Wall Streets since the first time I saw them. This one was slightly over budget, but it's purty. It gets a 5 out of 6 only because the price was as high as it was. This is also the smoothest writer, in my opinion. It also takes the capless Visconti roller refills.

5) Conklin Twain Signature ballpoint, purchased in the Marketplace. This ballpoint was a real revelation: Conklin makes excellent low-cost ballpoints with colorful bodies and silver trim. At 5 out of 6, they only lost points for it being a cheap pen. I like this one enough that I'm seriously considering getting another of their ballpoints.

6) Stipula Novecento ballpoint, purchased from pensinasia in blue (they say green, but it looks blue to me) ebonite. I bought this first, but it arrived last. I feared this one being a dud, honestly, in part because they don't make their own refills. On my original scale, it gets a 5 out of 6, because they don't make their own refills. It also has an odd seam that I can feel slightly if I rub my finger about an inch above the section. I'm sure there's a reason for this join, but it is a visible seam that detracts somewhat from the look of the pen.

7) Recife Mystic Organizer ballpoint, purchased at Flax Art in San Francisco. This was the pen that started my quest, because they don't make their own refills and the pen is clicky and mushy while in use. That said, it's cute and funky and will no doubt see more use, just not as much as the others. On my original scale, it gets a 4 out of 6, because they don't make their own refills and it's a pen below my retail cost threshhold. It is cute, though.

8) Lastly, the Pelikan K405. I bought it because it matched my M405, but then I started looking at my pens, and realizing how much the M405 was Not Me -- and I've now sold it. I used it to write a check or two, but that's it.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• finalidid

• rminj

• Sam P.

In my quest for the perfect ballpoint, I got some contenders and some disappointments. Results follow.

For explanation, one of the things I was looking for was a solid writing experience -- no "clickiness" (where the ballpoint refill is rattling around in the pen, especially while the ballpoint is extended), and a solid feel, where there is no retracting of the ballpoint with pressure, nor movement around the opening.

1) Replacement for my long-lost and much-loved Cross Lapis ballpoint, purchased from the Marketplace. Needless to say, since this was the pen I'd given up looking for, it's my instant favorite. Cross makes their pens have a very solid response that I like quite a bit. Based on my original score system, this one gets a 5 out of 6 (gold trim being its only downside). (Naturally, this was the pen I found last.)

3) Waterman Liaison Ebonite, purchased from Fahrney's. The pen doesn't have any rattling, but I found the twist mechanism somewhat mushy. That said, it writes well and has the bonus of being ebonite. Still, they only get 5 out of 6 (gold trim) and lose a point for mushiness of the twist mechanism. Update: it seems my refill may not have been seated the first time, thus the mushiness. It's fine now.

5) Conklin Twain Signature ballpoint, purchased in the Marketplace. This ballpoint was a real revelation: Conklin makes excellent low-cost ballpoints with colorful bodies and silver trim. At 5 out of 6, they only lost points for it being a cheap pen. I like this one enough that I'm seriously considering getting another of their ballpoints.

6) Stipula Novecento ballpoint, purchased from pensinasia in blue (they say green, but it looks blue to me) ebonite. I bought this first, but it arrived last. I feared this one being a dud, honestly, in part because they don't make their own refills. On my original scale, it gets a 5 out of 6, because they don't make their own refills. It also has an odd seam that I can feel slightly if I rub my finger about an inch above the section. I'm sure there's a reason for this join, but it is a visible seam that detracts somewhat from the look of the pen.

I'd have to agree on the gold trim...I much prefer silver trim (usually silver trim with black bodies). For example, if one goes on Cross's

site one can only get gold trim with a black century II. If one wants silver trim one's choices are blue, red or pretty stardust colors.

Parker also, for example, does not offer the latitude in black and silver..

I don't put much emphasis on if the manufacturer makes their own refills. Preferring blue ink, I find the Parker refills smoothest...the

Cross blue refills I tend to dislike based on color and pressure needed to put ink on the paper. Sad because I like their durable pens.

I just can't seem to write quickly or for long periods with their ballpoint design.

If I can offer another review it would be for a new parker Black Matte Sonnet. I purchased this to replace the one l lost. I would

give it a 4 out 6 on your scale. Points off for a.) The refill that came with did not write well. Putting replacement Parker refills in

it I discovered that the refills all vary in length by a millimeter or 2. The Sonnet does not extend the lower length refills all the way

making the point seem not fully extended (still writes well). A real revelation that is was the refills, not the pen. b.) The twist mechanism upper portion of the pen rattles quite a bit at the center of the pen (both when extended and not)....no precise fit here.

I always wanted to try one of the Conklin variety...was it the plastic that made it feel cheap; were you afraid the clip would come off

or the plastic would not hold up?

Maybe a Cross Classic Century would do? I used one for about a couple of years now. It writes well, though it may be small.

Pens in Rotation:

Parker 51 Aerometric, somewhere between XF and F

Parker 45 Flighter, F nib

Sheaffer Agio, F nib

Sheaffer Snorkel, M5 nib

Sailor Lecoule, F nib

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

bic stick

I agree totally. Probably the best ball point there is. Nice size, great writing ball point. And darn cheap!

I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.

I have some good ballpoints, but my criteria in selecting them are different from yours. I base it on the ink refills. I prefer refills that are documentary or archival (i.e. ISO 12757-2 rated), are the darkest in black or blue, and are able to do half-tones when I draw. I also want it with some tactile feel so smoothness is not a priority for me.

- Schneider Loox. Low cost pen that takes Parker style or Schneider stick (Express 775) documentary refills. It looks nice and is comfortable to hold as well. I call this an upgraded Bic Stick. http://www.passion4pens.com/site/735447/product/821-9569199

- Ballograf Epoca. Relatively inexpensive and comes with its proprietary archival/documentary ink. It's light yet solidly built. http://www.nord-mark.com/epoca.html

- Caran D'Ache Metal X. Nice solid pen made of die-cast metal and painted with enamel. Takes Parker refills as well as Schneider 775's. The only thing I find annoying with this pen is the metal clip that presses against my knuckles when I write. http://www.carandache.ch/products/office/stylos/index.lbl

For ballpoints that may not be archival, but write really dark and smoothly, I'm looking at the Pilot Ageless Future and the Pilot Knight right now. Both take the Pilot Dr. Grip refills (BRFN-10f) with the "Turbo Charged" black ink. It's smoother and darker than most Pilot black refills, which are already pretty good.

Edit:

PS. There are more Pilot pens available in the Japan that have that premium appeal. Too bad they don't sell them here in the U.S. http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/ballpe...ased/index.html

Edited by gregoron

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

"Pentel BK77 Superb". It is inexpensive, oil-based ink (it neither leaks nor smudges), transparent body, and no worries if they take it away from you. Otherwise, Parker Jotter with a gel refill. This is my state of the art on Biros. I never bothered with the Fisher. I have a Waterman Ideal, but is top heavy and thus I have never used it. I can sell it to you, if you like it. It costs 300 EUR new, and I have it new indeed, with original box and papers.

Luca

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

I don't put much emphasis on if the manufacturer makes their own refills. Preferring blue ink, I find the Parker refills smoothest...the

Cross blue refills I tend to dislike based on color and pressure needed to put ink on the paper. Sad because I like their durable pens.

I just can't seem to write quickly or for long periods with their ballpoint design.

I like refills to fit well in the refill holder, so the theory was that they'd have better testing for fit if they made their own (or branded someone else's) refills.

I always wanted to try one of the Conklin variety...was it the plastic that made it feel cheap; were you afraid the clip would come off

or the plastic would not hold up?

I didn't dislike the Conklin at all, it just wasn't initially on my radar because I'd been disappointed in other people's inexpensive pens.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Maybe a Cross Classic Century would do? I used one for about a couple of years now. It writes well, though it may be small.

Too skinny for my tastes, though it is a perfectly fine ballpoint. Besides, I have seven others now, I think that's enough. :) I also think that the lapis pens are my quintessential Cross and thus probably the only ones I'll own.

deirdre.net

Thought I'd upload a pic.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/2218955837_4c245e9a1d_o.jpg

Rollerballs on extreme left: Bittner Visconti Van Gogh limited, Recife Mystique Organizer. Missing is a well-worn Montblanc Generations in Turquoise.

Ballpoints: Cross Townsend Lapis, Cleo Skribent Messograf, Waterman Liaison in woodgrain ebonite, Visconti Wall Street (which is MUCH prettier than this picture shows), Conklin Twain Signature, Stipula Novecento in blue ebonite, Récife Mystique Organizer in loud green and yellow, and Pelikan K405 in blue/black (now sold).

deirdre.net

Well, when you said you were looking for a BP you were not kidding! It sounds like an interesting adventure.

I am glad you like your Visconti Wall Street. I have seen those, too, and wondered how one might feel. I also like the idea of the Waterman Liaison Ebonite, as I love the warm feel of ebonite. That said, I am sorry the Novocento did not work out. I cannot begin to imagine what that section seam would be about. The only thing better than an ebonite pen is two ebonite pens.

If I go looking for a new BP, I think I might look at a Waterman Liaison Ebonite. I like its look (thanks for the pic) and the idea of the feel of the material. I realize that Bic stixs might function, but I want personality and permanence in all my writing instruments.

Did you give any thought to a Duofold BP? They remain my favorite BP's.

Edited by FrankB

Here's a closeup of the seam:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2232/2219049447_c9d9b30221.jpg

It's not glaringly obvious, and it is feelable, but it's not annoyingly so. I will continue to use it and love it. I still consider it a bargain because it's my favorite color, favorite material, and from what's possibly my favorite pen company.

I thought about the Duofolds, especially the blue check, but I found these others first and thus that's what I'm sticking with.

deirdre.net

What an unusual yellow Visconti!

Of the ball-points, I quite like the Cleo Skribent Messograf. Is that body comfortable to hold??

Although I find FP nibs more beautiful, I have nothing against ballpoints in principle and would even use them if I could. But it's gotten to the point where I simply CAN'T use BPs anymore, period. My hand develops muscle spasms within a minute of writing with them and my handwriting degenerates into alarming-looking scribbles. Maybe I should see a doctor?.. But then with FPs I am completely fine -- no spasms, no carpel-tunnel-like symptoms, and very little fatigue even after prolonged use.

Having said that, Parker Jotters seem to give me the least BP-symptoms, from what I recall when I would still try to use BPs occasionally. The Jotters somehow seem to slide over paper easier.

QM2

Of the ball-points, I quite like the Cleo Skribent Messograf. Is that body comfortable to hold??

The Visconti is a Bittner limited edition rollerball. They may still have them, and as they're midis, they're not terribly expensive (especially for a Visconti). I just received mine a few days ago; it was their 15th anniversary limited pen.

The Messograf body is more comfortable than I expected. My main constraint was a shop pen I was unlikely to lose by having it roll off my bench when I was hammering away on something with a mallet and chisel.

deirdre.net

bic stick

I agree totally. Probably the best ball point there is. Nice size, great writing ball point. And darn cheap!

Frankly, I hate "true" ballpoint pens (the ones with thick paste-like ink in a thin vacuum-tube and a very small point-like ball). I try to use "roller balls" or "gel roller balls" or whatever is a more modern contrivance than the early "Kuegelschreiber." For store-bought disposable pens I ultimately prefer the Uni-Ball Vision Elite in blue-black with a bold point. This is a gel roller ball which writes as nicely (to me) as a Waterman Phileas roller ball, but without the heft of a "real" pen shaft. But, in the absence of roller balls and gel, I say again:

bic stick

I have three that I go to very often:

1) Rotring 600- it is extremely solid :thumbup: and probably can be used in hand to hand combat :ltcapd: but a Parker refill fits in it like they built the pen around it. So solid and a good price to boot ( don't think they make them anymore but ebay is a possibility)

2) Caran d'Ache hexagonal with their Goliath refill. A great beater BP with an exceptionally long write out. Stick with a medium point as the fine is a little dry. It is synthetic enamel over metal and the end has worn but for $12 a good buy.

3) Levenger True Writer- Yes I know it's a ripoff of the Estie but the shape is great and Parker refills fit it well.

I had a Stipula Saturno BP/RB and it had the same cone thread as yours. took me awhile to figure out how to change the refill :rolleyes: and with ebonite it is noticeable.

Kurt

3) Levenger True Writer- Yes I know it's a ripoff of the Estie but the shape is great and Parker refills fit it well.

I had a Stipula Saturno BP/RB and it had the same cone thread as yours. took me awhile to figure out how to change the refill :rolleyes: and with ebonite it is noticeable.

I had a True Writer FP at one point (I might still) and the cap trim ring would not sit still at all. Other than that, it wrote fine. It's currently in hiding somewhere if I still have it.

Interesting that your Stipula BP had the same issue.

deirdre.net

The Visconti is a Bittner limited edition rollerball. They may still have them, and as they're midis, they're not terribly expensive (especially for a Visconti). I just received mine a few days ago; it was their 15th anniversary limited pen.

The Messograf body is more comfortable than I expected. My main constraint was a shop pen I was unlikely to lose by having it roll off my bench when I was hammering away on something with a mallet and chisel.

That Messograf is certainly an interesting looking pen. I'm glad you posted the photo as I was unable to find it on passion4pens web site.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 2 months later...
bic stick

The repeated references to a Bic stick pains me. :lol: just kidding. The times that I do use them, they alway dry out on me or feel very sticky. I tend to prefer roller ball or gel ink pens...

Do you like broad pens or thin pens?

JetPens.com - Japanese Pens and Stationery

http://www.jetpens.com/images/jetpens_logo.gif

Find us on Facebook and Twitter.