Waterman Phileas

zxc

I'm considering buying a Waterman Phileas. I have really started to love the Wality 69L (Large pen, Fine Nib, nice slight tooth) and was considering a new buy.

A few questions as I know is a much praised pen:

Is it large? (I can compare to Wality 69L, Pelikan M200, Parker 51, Parker Reflex)

Is the fine nib smooth or slight tooth etc?

How's the grip? (I have found my Wality 69L grip slightly minimal)

Any other comments?

And finally if there anywhere in the UK which retails them (I thought they would be widely availible but doing a Google didn't turn up much)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• zxc

• Roger

• TMann

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you the Phileas is a touch larger (both in length and circumference) than the M200. Hmmm, actually, I think the circumference is the same, but the cap of the Phileas is a good deal wider than the cap of the Pelikan M200.

My blue Phileas has fine nib and it is very smooth.

I don't know what to say about the grip at all.

I quite like my Waterman Phileas, but it's not exactly one of my favorites (I prefer to use a Namiki Vanishing Point for smoothness or an Esterbrook J-series for character).

Still, for the price, you pretty much can't go wrong with a Phileas. It's a very dependable pen (mine starts up smoothly after weeks of disuse).

Hopefully, someone else will be able to give you specific information on the pen (come on, jump in 'Nutters!)?

t!

Edited by tntaylor

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

Hi zxc,

I've read here and elsewhere that the nibs round (edit: I meant "run"....) wider than you would expect. For example, my Medium nibbed Phileas writes more like a Broad nibbed pen... It is a very comforable, well-balanced modern pen and a great starter pen. :)

The European-only version of the Phileas is the Waterman Kultur. Similiar except the Kultur's nibs are single tone (ie. not two-tone in colour), I believe, and the trim is different.

Edited by Maja

The Kultur seems a little cheaper, but essentially, especially wrt the nib, they appear to be the same quality. However, with both my Kultur and my Philéas, I find that the cap doesn't post well and that the blind cap unscrews easily.

The nibs are really nice though, the fine is between fine and medium, the medium definitely runs very wide, much wider than any Pelikan medium I know.

Ole

The Kultur seems a little cheaper, but essentially, especially wrt the nib, they appear to be the same quality. However, with both my Kultur and my Philéas, I find that the cap doesn't post well and that the blind cap unscrews easily.

The nibs are really nice though, the fine is between fine and medium, the medium definitely runs very wide, much wider than any Pelikan medium I know.

Ole

The Phileas and the Kultur are of the same ink with the Kultur having a steel nib while the Phileas has the gold plate. I believe they are of a similar mold. I have to say that the cigar band around the blind cap turned me off to the Phileas. THe Kultur is definitely a student pen but it does have the Waterman nail nib that is very smooth and a pleasure to write with.

Kurt H

The Phileas is what got me using FPs. Mine has a fine nib that writes like a medium and is smooth as can be. The griip size is just right for me, a bit larger than the m200. It is one of the minority of pens I own that never required any tweaking, has never skipped or failed to start, and puts down the same consistent wet line with every ink I have thrown at it.

The Phileas is what got me using FPs.  Mine has a fine nib that writes like a medium and is smooth as can be.  The griip size is just right for me, a bit larger than the m200.  It is one of the minority of pens I own that never required any tweaking, has never skipped or failed to start, and puts down the same consistent wet line with every ink I have thrown at it.

In complete agreement, amin! :) It's an entry level pen that you will most likely become fond of and keep right on using long after you've become a sophisticated and hardened accumulator, collector or just plain old critic of the interest. :P

Mine was an M nib that, overall, writes pretty much like an M should. This was only last April, and it has only had three widely diverse inks in it, but it happily takes whatever it is fed. :D

Like Kurt, I absolutely won't even look at that $&^$# cigar band. It is the only strike against it, imo. In fact, the greatest praise that I can give it is that though it costs maybe $10.00 more than a Pelikan GO, it writes nearly as well! :lol:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

I have two of the Phileas pens, both marked as fine nibs. The blue one is about four years old and writes like a true fine. The grey one is less than a year old and writes more like a medium. Both came from Office Depot in sealed plastic boxes. Is this much variation normal in the Phileas line, or did I get one that was mismarked? Either way, both of them are very smooth, reliable performers.

Larry

But I love the "cigar band" around the blind cap! :P

So art deco.....

Sorry dad, but again I must invoke your wisdom of the ages...Yes Maja, and that's why there is chocolate and vanilla. :D

But then, I'm consistent, if nothing else. I wouldn't give a plug nickel for all the art deco in the world. :o

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

You probably don't need another opinion at this point, but since I have both a Phileas (medium) and Kultur(fine), I 'll chime in. I prefer the fine point, it's smooth and puts down a nice wet line. The Kultur is very slightly shorter but a bit heavier than an M200, but very well balanced and feels more substantial to me. Both models are great values, but the Kultur is exceptionally good. Note that it's typically sold without a converter, I believe.

Hi,

Is is a really big pen (to my standards) with a nice fat grip. The Phileas has a brass weight in the barrel to weight it. I had to give mine to Slush99 because I just could not use it (It was wayyyy to big), and I got an Ici Et La instead.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hello all-

Another note of praise for the humble Waterman Phileas.

Mine writes smoothly and reliably, and — by turning the nib upsidedown — the normally generous medium becomes a rather good fine for log book entries.

Actually, the Waterman seduced me into the fountain pen world, and while I now usually have one Pelikan or another clipped to my shirt front, I sometimes miss the reliable and docile Waterman.

Jim...

The Phileas is indeed on the fat side, so if you like thinner pens, you probably won't like it.

But I will echo everyone else's comments about what a smooth writer it is. I'm using a medium, which writes like a broad nib, and the ink goes down nice and thick.

As for the Art Deco-ness of the design, I think it looks like a knockoff of the Eversharp Skyline (as does the Aurora Idea, another cheap but smooth writer). Again, you either like it or you don't.

Most people around this board would say the Pelikan M200 is the best current production pen to give a new user. If so, I would put the Phileas in second place. It's that good.

Edited by randyholhut

I guess that since this is message #15 in this thread, anything I say will be somewhat redundant...but I'm going to chime in anyways!

My Waterman Phileas is a nicely sized, lightweight, incredibly smooth and absolutely reliable fountain pen. (My Phileas is black and has a fine nib.) It is not the fanciest pen in my collection by any means, but it works so well, that I find myself using it all the time. It has a permanent place in my pen cup, where it is the pen I grab when I need to sign a check or jot down a quick note.

It's a great pen, with or without that silly cigar band. :D

TMann

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I'll probably pick up a transparent Waterman Kultur soon  :)

Hi zxc,

I found one being sold by The Pen Museum (Arthur and Peter Twydle's well-respected repair service and online pen store) for £15. It is at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/waterman.htm

Having said that...There are some being sold on eBay for a lot less... :)

Edited by Maja

I agree with everybody: the Phileas is a beautiful pen. Mine is generally reliable (a medium nib), but sometimes starts skipping. Then, I have to give a twist to the converter. Is there a way to fill the pen in order to avoid a void? :blink: