Voodoo Ergonomics?

Univer

Ooohhhh... this is a review that seriously informs! An interesting variety of pens are described where it counts: comfort, nib quality, and the actual writing mechanics of pen-on-paper. The comparison brings each pen to life in a way that the single pen review just can't touch. Perhaps the best part is the selection of contestants covers the price spectrum from "I can afford that!" to "I'll need a second mortgage... :( ...". Now i'll have to convince the Boss that a couple of more pens are needed in my collection.

Soennecken: 1932 Rheingold, 510, 412 "click", 101 Lady & S4... Dunn-Pen "Little Red Pump Handle... Waterman: Le Man 100 Sterling & #52 flex... Parker: Duofold Set 1990 & "75" Sterling... Stylomine 303... Moore Fingertip... Mont Blanc 342... Pilot NAMIKI Vanishing Point... Artus... Sheaffer: Snorkel & 5 others. Osmiroid 65:.. MT Swan... Taccia Avante Petrified Wood... Celluloid Eye Droppers: Peerless CHBR, Eagle HBR, & Stratford... & another 90+ indulgences..

. . . . . Those with the Truth, pound the facts : those without, pound the table . . . . .

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Univer

• Sailor Kenshin

• PDW

• Treet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a thought on rOtring Skynn cap removal. Don't try to pull or work it off - press against one of the flat sides of the cap near to the closed end and it pops off. Easy - but I had to find out by accident!

This is one of the most interesting pen reviews I've read for a long time; it's really fascinating to look at such a wide range of pens, from the 'ugly stick' to the dolce vita, and assess them from a slightly different point of view. A point of view that I think many of us, as we grow a bit older, will be thinking about...

Pelikano Jr works for me, but I have tiny hands (I'll never be much as a pianist because I can't stretch an octave!). I'm thinking that Lamy 2000 might not be a bad pen for you to stack up against the 'cigars' - I'd be interested to see how it compares on ergonomic friendliness. Laban Mento as well, which I think has already been mentioned.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Great review. I have large hands, and holding a small pen just is not fun. I have always found that the point where I hold the pen to be not user friendly in most pens, BP, RB and FP. Currently I have a MB 149, 148, 22, and a Visconti HS. I find all of them comfortable for extended writing, the HS being the most interesting, as its composition of lava and resin makes it feel like folding a rubber eraser, and as it is hydrostatic(?) it does not get wet like a resin or steel pen can get. If you have an opportunity to try one, I would recommend it.

Cheers

George

Interesting. I found that holding 3 sided Omas 360 felt quite unnatural and ended up selling it. I've head some 360 users having to have the nib rotated to get a more comfortable writing position. Maybe I ought to have tried that.

Edited by Blade Runner

• 7 months later...

I have the Omas 360 and the Legacy which is slmilar to the PFM . Nither are the ones I like for looks but they are the ones I pick up to write a while. The other is the Vanishing point with the carbonesq (or what ever that covering is called). The texture makes it better to hold easily. The last ones I use are Stepula Duetto. It has a large circumference which tapers closer to the nib.

I'm a women with long slender fingers. I find a softer nib is also easier to write with but a wet noodle takes too much concentration for everyday writing.

... I find a softer nib is also easier to write with ...

Ergonomics and nibs: a while back I had a long marking stint, and at the end of day one using a Lamy Safari my wrist was hurting. For the second day I switched to an Esterbrook J with an Osmiroid soft fine nib, and the wrist was fine. Might have been the change in the section shape/grip, but I think it was the softer nib cushioning my wrist as I wrote.

Edited by PDW

I feel your pain Jon. Well written article. Might I suggest the Pelikan P55 - Jet pens always have those and I think it's a better pen than the Pelikano and cheaper too. Someone probably mentioned a Smooth Sailor Medium size. Also a Lamy 2000. Very light with a fair girth. There's many offerings from our pen turners that have a larger girth and some are rather light. Another that comes to my mind is the Edison Herald and Herald Grande. Both are wide and very light and smooth. I may also add that if you care for a medium nib the writing will be smoother. I have a number of Legacy's in a medium nib that I found helpful.

Edited by Bill Wood

• 1 month later...

Nice review. I really appreciate nice comparison pictures. It really helps someone (like myself) who doesn't have access to pens, to get a better idea of size.

• 4 months later...

Kudos on an excellent review. I enjoyed your writing style and your error-free delivery. You obviously take your time with invention, and your proofreading is quite apparent. Voodoo Ergonomics: ergo, you do that voodoo that you do so well.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot, Christian martyr)

• 1 year later...

My writing habits have undergone a change recently, because I've managed to develop a vexing case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both (!) wrists.

Please look out at this solution in this case:

post-118183-0-63354600-1416673734_thumb.jpg