The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Voodoo Ergonomics?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Frisky Willy

Frisky Willy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:00

Ooohhhh... this is a review that seriously informs! An interesting variety of pens are described where it counts: comfort, nib quality, and the actual writing mechanics of pen-on-paper. The comparison brings each pen to life in a way that the single pen review just can't touch. Perhaps the best part is the selection of contestants covers the price spectrum from "I can afford that!" to "I'll need a second mortgage... :( ...". Now i'll have to convince the Boss that a couple of more pens are needed in my collection.

Soennecken: 1932 Rheingold, 510, 412 "click", 101 Lady & S4... Dunn-Pen "Little Red Pump Handle...  Waterman: Le Man 100 Sterling & #52 flex... Parker: Duofold Set 1990 & "75" Sterling... Stylomine 303... Moore Fingertip... Mont Blanc 342... Pilot NAMIKI Vanishing Point... Artus... Sheaffer: Snorkel & 5 others. Osmiroid 65:.. MT Swan... Taccia Avante Petrified Wood... Celluloid Eye Droppers: Peerless CHBR, Eagle HBR, & Stratford... & another 90+ indulgences..

. . . . . Those with the Truth, pound the facts : those without, pound the table . . . . .

Sponsored Content

#22 PDW

PDW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:08

Just a thought on rOtring Skynn cap removal. Don't try to pull or work it off - press against one of the flat sides of the cap near to the closed end and it pops off. Easy - but I had to find out by accident!

#23 wkiffin

wkiffin

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2012 - 14:18

Very interesting article.

#24 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:56

This is one of the most interesting pen reviews I've read for a long time; it's really fascinating to look at such a wide range of pens, from the 'ugly stick' to the dolce vita, and assess them from a slightly different point of view. A point of view that I think many of us, as we grow a bit older, will be thinking about...

Pelikano Jr works for me, but I have tiny hands (I'll never be much as a pianist because I can't stretch an octave!). I'm thinking that Lamy 2000 might not be a bad pen for you to stack up against the 'cigars' - I'd be interested to see how it compares on ergonomic friendliness. Laban Mento as well, which I think has already been mentioned.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#25 macjager

macjager

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:42

Great review. I have large hands, and holding a small pen just is not fun. I have always found that the point where I hold the pen to be not user friendly in most pens, BP, RB and FP. Currently I have a MB 149, 148, 22, and a Visconti HS. I find all of them comfortable for extended writing, the HS being the most interesting, as its composition of lava and resin makes it feel like folding a rubber eraser, and as it is hydrostatic(?) it does not get wet like a resin or steel pen can get. If you have an opportunity to try one, I would recommend it.

Cheers

George

#26 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:45

Interesting. I found that holding 3 sided Omas 360 felt quite unnatural and ended up selling it. I've head some 360 users having to have the nib rotated to get a more comfortable writing position. Maybe I ought to have tried that.

Edited by Blade Runner, 07 July 2012 - 11:48.

#27 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:44

This was really interesting to read. Thanks.

#28 Suzzana

Suzzana

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:56

I have the Omas 360 and the Legacy which is slmilar to the PFM . Nither are the ones I like for looks but they are the ones I pick up to write a while. The other is the Vanishing point with the carbonesq (or what ever that covering is called). The texture makes it better to hold easily. The last ones I use are Stepula Duetto. It has a large circumference which tapers closer to the nib.
I'm a women with long slender fingers. I find a softer nib is also easier to write with but a wet noodle takes too much concentration for everyday writing.

#29 PDW

PDW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,233 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:22

... I find a softer nib is also easier to write with ...

Ergonomics and nibs: a while back I had a long marking stint, and at the end of day one using a Lamy Safari my wrist was hurting. For the second day I switched to an Esterbrook J with an Osmiroid soft fine nib, and the wrist was fine. Might have been the change in the section shape/grip, but I think it was the softer nib cushioning my wrist as I wrote.

Edited by PDW, 21 February 2013 - 15:33.

#30 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• 1,390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 17:47

I feel your pain Jon. Well written article. Might I suggest the Pelikan P55 - Jet pens always have those and I think it's a better pen than the Pelikano and cheaper too. Someone probably mentioned a Smooth Sailor Medium size. Also a Lamy 2000. Very light with a fair girth. There's many offerings from our pen turners that have a larger girth and some are rather light. Another that comes to my mind is the Edison Herald and Herald Grande. Both are wide and very light and smooth. I may also add that if you care for a medium nib the writing will be smoother. I have a number of Legacy's in a medium nib that I found helpful.

Edited by Bill Wood, 21 February 2013 - 17:50.

#31 IKWarren

IKWarren

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2013 - 14:44

Nice review. I really appreciate nice comparison pictures. It really helps someone (like myself) who doesn't have access to pens, to get a better idea of size.

#32 Sir Nibs

Sir Nibs

Sir Nibs

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:57

Kudos on an excellent review. I enjoyed your writing style and your error-free delivery. You obviously take your time with invention, and your proofreading is quite apparent. Voodoo Ergonomics: ergo, you do that voodoo that you do so well.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot, Christian martyr)

#33 RINGO

RINGO

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2014 - 16:29

My writing habits have undergone a change recently, because I've managed to develop a vexing case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both (!) wrists.

Please look out at this solution in this case: 

Attached Images

• montbl.jpg

Sponsored Content

|