Adjusted vs. "Custom" Nibs

Girardian

I'm looking into ordering a pen from Richard and will either have the nib "adjusted" to my "writing style" (i.e. how I hold the pen, etc.), or "customized" (to a stub style). This is to be my "daily" go-to pen.

For a first time pen purchase where a nib will be either "adjusted" or "customized" for an everyday writer, do FPNers have any recommendations?

Would you recommend the "adjusted" or "custom" service on the nib, and why?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FrankB

• StyloBug33

• ANM

• Girardian

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a really good question to ask Richard. If he knows what you want, he could help you figure it out.

However, if I was in your position, I would get a round nib that has been adjusted to my writing style. Stubs are really nice, but when you are first getting used to using a fountain pen everyday, I think it would be better to stick to the basics.

Sorry this is a rather short answer. My right arm is casted for another couple of weeks.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

I'm looking into ordering a pen from Richard and will either have the nib "adjusted" to my "writing style" (i.e. how I hold the pen, etc.), or "customized" (to a stub style). This is to be my "daily" go-to pen.

For a first time pen purchase where a nib will be either "adjusted" or "customized" for an everyday writer, do FPNers have any recommendations?

Would you recommend the "adjusted" or "custom" service on the nib, and why?

As I understand it, an adjusted nib is a standard commercial nib that has had nothing done to it aside from being tested by the seller for smoothness and ink flow. He will adjust it so it will write the way you want it... wet or dry... and make sure it is really smooth. The nib you choose for the pen will not be altered in any other way. A custom nib will altered from the way is comes from the maker to write differently. If you want a stub nib and the maker does not offer one like you want, it can be customized to be wider or more narrow. If you want a flex nib and the makers isn't flexy enough it can be customized to be more flexible. That is my understanding of the differences in the two terms. Talk to Richard, as suggested above, to find out exactly what you want your pen to do: Write at is maximum capababilites or write in a extraordinary way.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

I have also understood that an "adjusted" nib is a factory nib that has been adjusted for ink flow. A "customized" nib has been altered from the round point to another style. If you read some of the issues that people discuss here, you will find that ink flow and skipping are among the most frequent. Richard checks each nib he sells to make sure that ink even flows, that it flows evenly and in the amount you desire, and that the nib writes consistently. That "adustment" is a really big deal.

If you are just now starting with fountain pens, I would also suggest that you get a factory nib and try it out. After writing with it, you might find things you would like different, and that is the realm of customization. Getting a grasp on nib sizes and styles is a major step with FP's, and this aspect of the learning curve is why I generally suggest to a new person that they start with a Pelikan pen that has interchangeable nibs. With one pen you can try several different nibs to see what you like best. It is less expensive than buying multiple pens.

Good luck.

Edited by FrankB

Every pen that Richard sells has an "adjusted nib" in that he has personally tested and then tuned the nib to perform flawlessly, and writes the way that the customer expects, dry to wet.

His custom grinds however are different, in these he has removed material from the nib so that it writes differently due to a new shape, this can be done to his own pens that you are buying off him-or you can send him a pen and get him to change it for you-however the latter will take around 12 weeks...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Quick reply: go to Richard's web site and read all of the pages about nibs. You'll get a great education on nibs in general, specifics as to different nibs and the what can be done to adjust nibs/ink flow, and the customization available. Then communicate with Richard exactly what you want. The two of you can come to a decision regarding nib and pen that should be satisfying to you. Have fun!

gary

Frank and Shelley have good advice. I agree with them but would like to add, take baby steps here. The Pelikan as Frank suggests, is a good place to start. You can get a quality, fairly inexpensive model to start, and as you become confident with a fountain pen, get one of Richards custom Pelikan nibs. I think Richard allows you to select a 205 or 215 body and then choose one of his speciality nibs to put in it. Sort of pen a la cart, if you will. Very clever idea.

I have no clue where you live but if it's in the States, try and get to a show where Richard will be. His schedule is on his site. You can get your pen and he'll work on your nib, right there. He'll watch you write and adjust for your style if you want. I've done this and the man is a genius.

I might also suggest, if your new to stubs, etc., try one first if you can to see if you'll really like using one as your daily driver. Some custom nibs require a lot of "work" on the writers part when you're writing with them, if you know what I mean. And again, Richard has a nice display of his custom nibs you can try and play with to your hearts content.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!