A Question of Convenience

James P

Hello esteemed FPN members,

As I may have hinted in the recent past, I am in the process of migrating all of the Pear Tree Pen Company's shopping cart functions to a new host and new software. The process is slow and tedious, but we are making progress. One of the new features of this cart is the ability to offer a "hidden" sale price. This is very useful as several of the pen companies whose products I sell (such as Visconti and Omas) do not permit their authorized retailers to advertise discounts on their products (with certain exceptions). I've currently handled this situation by asking shoppers to email me for a better price. I think that has been a workable solution, but far from convenient or easy.

This new "hidden price" option would allow the software either to send an automatic email price quote, or could display the price once the product has been entered into the cart. My question to you pen buyers is: Would you prefer to receive an email price quote, or simply to be able to see the item's price once it has been added to the cart? What is the reason for your preference?

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me to help make your shopping experience a more enjoyable one.

Thank you!

Regards,

James Partridge

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James P

• Jimmy James

• Artbeast

• sph33r

Top Posters In This Topic

Cart.

Because then I can just take it out of the cart. No need to log into webmail or switch to Outlook and hit send and receive.

You also avoid the whole spam filter/junk mail problem.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I'd vote for the cart also. Much simpler. This is the process Amazon.com uses and they have been moderately successful... :)

The pen may be mightier than the sword...

but don't take your favorite fountain pen to a sword fight!

Cart.

Because then I can just take it out of the cart. No need to log into webmail or switch to Outlook and hit send and receive.

I'm in full agreement. The proposed cart function is a far more user friendly way to get the info to your customers.

Thanks for asking!

Tara

Hello esteemed FPN members,

As I may have hinted in the recent past, I am in the process of migrating all of the Pear Tree Pen Company's shopping cart functions to a new host and new software. The process is slow and tedious, but we are making progress. One of the new features of this cart is the ability to offer a "hidden" sale price. This is very useful as several of the pen companies whose products I sell (such as Visconti and Omas) do not permit their authorized retailers to advertise discounts on their products (with certain exceptions). I've currently handled this situation by asking shoppers to email me for a better price. I think that has been a workable solution, but far from convenient or easy.

This new "hidden price" option would allow the software either to send an automatic email price quote, or could display the price once the product has been entered into the cart. My question to you pen buyers is: Would you prefer to receive an email price quote, or simply to be able to see the item's price once it has been added to the cart? What is the reason for your preference?

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me to help make your shopping experience a more enjoyable one.

Thank you!

Regards,

James Partridge

I would rather see the price in the cart because it is less hassle, more instant and eliminates any privacy concerns for a new buyer reticent to give out their email address.

Good luck with the migration James. Is your developer able to map some of the things from your current database to the database of the new software? Years ago we went the route of a custom system and a dedicated server and our developer was able to map many things over to the new system.

We are now designing and building a new shopping interface for our future websites, the first of which will be leather products designed around the Moleskine, Rhodia and Clairfontaine stuff. It will use the new Ajax programming which loads pages much faster.

One question... with the new software are you able to migrate your database so that customers will still be able to log into their account, view history and stuff like that?

Arthur

www.renaissance-art.com

Hi James,

It will be exciting to see your new shopping site.

In terms of your question, my preference would be to show the price upon adding the item to the cart. Having used both types of systems at different times, the cart option will ensure that you have the most opportunity to make sales as your potential customers get instant feedback.

While sending a price through email should be almost as fast, email systems can and do go down at times. If this were to happen, the potential customer would have to call or try to contact you in some other way to make the sale.

Wish you well and am very much enjoying the Pelikan you sold me recently.

Alec

http://files.alecsatin.com/2010/postcard-exchange-participant.png

Definitely the cart. You see it what you want immediately, while you're in shopping mode. The very slight inconvenience of having to remove it from the cart is trivial, especially when compared to the time delays and task switching required by the email approach.

Would you prefer to receive an email price quote, or simply to be able to see the item's price once it has been added to the cart? What is the reason for your preference?

The cart. One less step in the transaction.

another vote for cart. As others have mentioned Amazon.com uses it, with some level of success. It should also hopefully make your life easier as you will have fewer emails to respond to.

Good luck,

french

I like the cart.

I get email quotes from FPH but have lost some because of email filters, and I have to remember to look for the email.

Joi

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

I'm easy either way. Psychologically, I think the cart will be more effective as some folks may do a "what the heck" and leave it there.

Another vote for the cart. Several sites have this feature and usually say "Special pricing, add this item to your cart to see your price." which is a tiny bit annoying, but makes total sense if you're locked down to display prices by the manufacturer.

- Brad -

Cart.

What he said. Could not have said it better myself. I actually tend to avoid online vendors to whom you have to submit an email and await a reply to get a price, rather than having the price available if I put the item in the cart. That being said, would the "hidden price" be construed by your vendors as a violation of the advertising lower prices ban? As I learned in the Navy, it is usually easier to get forgiveness than permission, so I would recommend against asking Omas etc if this would be alright, and just do it, and only stop if they insist it violates their advertising standards. Not a hill I would die on.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Thanks for all of the input so far. One thing I think needs some clarification, although from what I'm reading I'm not sure it would alter anyone's opinion:

The "email for price" option requires only that the customer click a button, and fill in their email address, and then hit send. Within seconds, an automatic reply to their inquiry would be returned that contains the item's price - Once I set up the initial message, no more involvement is necessary from my end, and all customers would receive the same price quote.

I have to admit I am a little surprised at how many of you favor the cart option - it's not what I would have guessed. As a consumer, I personally prefer the email, this way I can have a record of the quoted price for comparison shopping (but none of you do that, right (comparision shop)?). So I sure am glad I asked, because all of your points are well taken and many mentioned things I wouldn't have considered.

James

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

James,

My biggest problem with the email quotes is that by the time I go to my email box, I typically find 10 other messages that interest me and I get off on some tangent visiting 10 other websites doing something else, and forget all about the watch/pen/widget I was getting the quote for. The saving grace is a few days later when I see the price quote email, I may go back to the site and buy.

If I had an instant quote, though, I wouldn't go to my email box until AFTER I've bought (to see the confirmation/invoice/receipt), and the tangent wouldn't distract me away from my business with you! ;)

Just a thought.

~~King

Thanks for all of the input so far. One thing I think needs some clarification, although from what I'm reading I'm not sure it would alter anyone's opinion:

The "email for price" option requires only that the customer click a button, and fill in their email address, and then hit send. Within seconds, an automatic reply to their inquiry would be returned that contains the item's price - Once I set up the initial message, no more involvement is necessary from my end, and all customers would receive the same price quote.

I have to admit I am a little surprised at how many of you favor the cart option - it's not what I would have guessed. As a consumer, I personally prefer the email, this way I can have a record of the quoted price for comparison shopping (but none of you do that, right (comparision shop)?). So I sure am glad I asked, because all of your points are well taken and many mentioned things I wouldn't have considered.

James

From a customer perspective, they do not have the benefit of clarification. All they have is a button sitting in front of them with a box to fill in their email address. And, like someone else said, freely giving away an email address invites unwanted emails in the minds of many, including this one, online shoppers.

Best to go with everyones initial gut reaction because that is exactly what people will do when faced with this situation. Adding something to a cart is instantaneous and as another person pointed out, it can be removed.

Something else to consider from a business standpoint... once it is in the cart, it is also one step closer to being purchased.

Arthur

www.renaissance-art.com

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files