Good Morning

revdem

Hi - My name is Dave, and I'm a new-comer to the site. My collecting interests include Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman vac-type fillers, as well as 100 year Watermans.

I do most of my own repairs, including Sheaffer Vac fillers, and Waterman 100 year pen ends. If anyone has any repair tips on these, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you! I attached a photo of some of my work - hope you dont mind:

Thanks in advance: Dave

post-31-1131551032_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• revdem

• fountainbel

• southpaw

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dave,

Welcome on the FPN forum !

What a nice collection of Waterman 100 year pens you have !

Did you buy these with the perfect translucent barrel end or did you restore the barrel ends? Please share your working method with us if you did the restoration yourself !

By the way, how do you repair the plunger rod sealing bushing on the Sheaffer Vac-fillers ?

Regards, Francis

Edited by fountainbel

Welcome to the FPNuthouse! Great to have another guru in the house! Very impressive work. Make yourself at home and please feel free to chime right in. What else do you have in your collection?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Francis and South paw - In answer to your combined questions:

I collect Sheaffer Vac fillers, 100 year Watermans, Inkvues, and Vacumatics.

The ends on the pens I have repaired myself. Its a bit of a messy job, but enjoyable.

I have repaired Sheaffer rear-sealing units on vac fillers, but it is a bit tedious, and if the unit doesnt come out by tapping it a few times with a dowel from inside the barrel, it usually means drilling it out and replacing it. I replace the original packing with a thin rubber washer, felt packing, gasket cement - and then cement the unit back into the pen. I dont do the "ram a plug up the barrel" repair on my pens - I"m a freak for a close to an original repair as I can get.

Take Care: Dave

Hi Dave !

Congratulations on your repair method for the Vac-filler plunger sealing cartridge, this is the real thing !

Are you making your own cartridge housings to replace the ones you have to drill out? I've read that on some of the V1 Vac fllers (V1= ink directly in barrel) the rod sealing cartridge is SCREWED in the barrel ( see http://members.aol.com/RepairPens/) Did you already found V1 vac fillers like this ?

I've posted a topic on Sheaffer Vacuum filler repair - "leaking plunger rod seal" on the "Repair O&A" forum. I am actually in the process of making a new sealing cartridge equipped with a easy replaceable/ pressure adjustable Oring . I've designed a dedicated cartridge for both the V1(ink & plunger directly in barrel) & V2 ( internal ink barrel) versions of the Sheaffer Vac fillers. Advantage being the maintenance friendliness I wonder what you think of this approach.

Buy the way, what are you doing to replace "pitted" plunger rods ? Are you ordering these somewhere (Victor Chen ) or are you making them yourself?

Look forward to hear from you in the future !

Regards, Francis

http://members.aol.com/RepairPens/

Hey Francis - I'm not making ends yet. I have a few that I have removed from badly damaged pens, and use these when I have to drill an end out. On the cartidge type filler, I pry off the end disc, re-build the filling unit, and then rebuild it. I usually replace the end disc - glue, then use resin to ensure a permanent seal for it.

When it comes to pitted rods, I usually pirate them off of another pen as well. However, I seldom worry about an rod that is pitted close to either end, and it does not affect the seal since that part of the rod remains in the barrel

Dave

Hello Dave and welcome to the FPN! It's always good to have someone new here who has tried their hand at vintage pen repair. Those are some impressive looking pens you have. :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Hi Dave and welcome to FPN! :D

I haven't met you but I've seen your handiwork in person at (mutual friend) Brian's house :) Impressive 100 Year end repairs, I must say! I haven't seen your Sheaffer vac-filler repairs as Brian doesn't collect those, so when we have our next pen meetup, could you perhaps bring one along for me to see?

Nice to have you on board here!

~Maja

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I might be interested in having yoru work on some of my 100 year ends, please e-mail me -- danny@thewritepen.net

thanks,

d

writepenbanner.gif.3b32962e78b1a1ac0464819a5bdfe0b8.gif