Are Cross Pens still Made in the USA?

ookiihito

I would like to add a quote from the Lamy homepage.

Please keep in mind that I do not work for Lamy and I am not otherwise affiliated to them.

My sole motivation is to make people aware what they spend their hard earned dollars for.

If people would more often refuse buying certain brands, that would have an impact stronger than any law or import tax.

I wished we could start a "made in the western world" nostalgia - or call it awareness.

I strongly believe that my money deserves something better than "made in china". :sick:

Made in Heidelberg

Genuine Lamy

Writing instruments from Lamy can be seen on the New York Stock Exchange, at conferences in Tokyo, or in the lecture halls of Buenos Aires. And each of these writing instruments first saw the light of day in Heidelberg, the city with Germany’s oldest university.

Here, just a few minutes by car from the world-famous ensemble of castle, old town and the River Neckar, Lamy develops and produces fountain pens, ink rollerballs, ballpoint pens and propelling pencils which have been amongst the most popular examples of modern design since 1966.

And, despite increasing globalisation, nothing will change this in future. Because Lamy is firmly rooted in its Heidelberg location. An employer of around 400 people from the city and its surrounding area, a patron of culture and a sponsor. But also a family firm which knows precisely that it draws part of its strength and authenticity from a vibrant region which for centuries has stood for science, research and cosmopolitanism.

Quote taken from Lamy website:

http://www.lamy.com/the_company/corporate_.../index_eng.html

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• PenHero

• Waterman

• Unic

It is surprising how the pens and company epitomize globalization, capitalism etc.. If I draw the topic back to the pens a bit..

My perspective as a cross ballpoint pen user is different. I can only say that the pens were always very durable. I have several Cross pens that never break; the most durable pens I own. They still don't write as well as other pens though. This is sad, and in that regard, brings us back to Cross and the topic.

I like the fact that Cross stands behind their product and will repair/replace the product as they have always done (even

if for a nonimal fee these days). When made in the USA I can't say the quality was any better as I did have to return several

for repair/replacement. I can say, that the pen refills I've purchased recently (from China) are more consistent in

how they write. The US refills varied quite a bit; there were some I liked and some I didn't. I have a refill still from 2001

that I like the best..if all the refills were like this (from the US or China) I would write with Cross pens exclusively.

But even the current refills don't match how this one writes or some other ballpoints I use.

So I've seen, as a consumer, more pen choices and finishes from AT Cross. I have not seen the manufacturing money saved put back into research for a better writing pen that writes better than their competition. I really think they need some refill technology that gives them an advantage over all the other pens out there.

In that regard I don't know if anyone left at Cross is listening. They don't necesessarily have to a be a small private company manufacturing everything in the USA (as I still can't use the pens if they don't write well). Rather they need

to provide good durability, service, and an exceptional writing experience that will make me buy and use their products over other manufacturers.

I think the distributor for Pelikan is Malasian, but the maker is still German. All new Pelikans still say GERMANY on the cap band. The boxes also say MADE IN GERMANY (FABRIQUE EN R.F.A) or German Federated Republic

As far as am concerned Pelikan, Parker and Lamy are the only fountain makers who have not sold out!

Edited by Dr Ozzie

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

As far as am concerned Pelikan, Parker and Lamy are the only fountain makers who have not sold out!

I'm a bit dubious about Parker in this context. Where do they make the Jotters and Vectors?

I would add Conway Stewart and Bexley to the list of makers who haven't 'sold out', although I appreciate that they are working on a much smaller scale.

I'm a bit dubious about Parker in this context. Where do they make the Jotters and Vectors?

I would add Conway Stewart and Bexley to the list of makers who haven't 'sold out', although I appreciate that they are working on a much smaller scale.

Isn't the Jotter still made in the U.K?

Jotter bp's and fp's are, just like the Vector fp, The IM/Profile fp and the Reflex bp and fp made in the UK. The Parker Urban bp is made in China.

I would like to add a quote from the Lamy homepage.

Please keep in mind that I do not work for Lamy and I am not otherwise affiliated to them.

My sole motivation is to make people aware what they spend their hard earned dollars for.

If people would more often refuse buying certain brands, that would have an impact stronger than any law or import tax.

I wished we could start a "made in the western world" nostalgia - or call it awareness.

I strongly believe that my money deserves something better than "made in china". :sick:

Made in Heidelberg

Genuine Lamy

Lamy is good. And I have two. I may have to consider more..............if I want to keep indulging this madness. At least I don't imagine a big diesel burning ship is required to bring them to the States, piggy backed in semi-trailers. I wonder how they do ship them. :roflmho:

Cedar

Shoot! I had my eye on a Cross Century II fp, but now I'm not so sure. I've always liked Cross pens and I have four vintage Cross Century Classic chrome ballpoints and pencils. All four say made in the U.S.A. on them. These are the only ballpoints I like to write with. The new Century Classics that I have are made in China and I have to say that I can tell a difference in quality between the old U.S.A. pens and the new China ones. This makes my appreciate my Pelikans and Lamys so much more.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

From Cross's point of view however, globalization is working. Our RI newspaper's business section recently reported on Cross having an excellent year financially with record forth quarter profits.

As for brands still being produced at home, please don't tell me my Visconti's, Stipulas and Auroras are now Chineese.....say it ain't so. I'm still trying to deal with OMAS's sale to a "far Eastern investment group"

Edited by jjb_13

"Ink isn't dead...It just smells funny"

Cross does have an assembly plant in Ireland. I've got a Century II Millenium set (BP/FP) also stamped "Ireland". I don't have my copy of "Writing History" (the history of the AT Cross Co) in front of me as I write this but I want to say the Ireland plant was opened in the mid '90's.

Don´t want to disappoint you on that but I have a Cross pen too that is stamped Ireland.

It was bought in 1992!!! Does not seem to make sense when you say the plant was only opened in the mid 90´s.

But let´s face it - they are all Chinese made.

Read what wikipedia says:

"Due to rising financial difficulties in the early 2000s, A.T. Cross began to outsource the manufacturing of its products to China. By 2006, all Cross pen products were Chinese-made, the company had sold the Rhode Island building that housed its headquarters, and the U.S.-based portion of its workforce numbered under 100."

Sorry. It hurts me too!!! :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Yes, I have one of those earlier Cross Century ballpoints stamped Ireland...sent to me when I sent mine

in for repair in 2001.

I have a recent Century ballpoint where, when screwing the refill in it clicks and keeps turning. Looking at the thread

inside the pen one can see it is made out of plastic and is cracked. The metal body keeps the crack/thread from expanding and the refill still stays. Looking at my Apogee ballpoint, it also holds the refill on plastic threads.

Looking at my earlier Centuries, including the one from Ireland, the pen threads that hold the refill are made out of metal.

This seems quite similar to the modern Parker Jotter (plastic threading) vs the older USA ones (metal threads). Progress

indeed of pen industry.

inside the pen one can see it is made out of plastic and is cracked. The metal body keeps the crack/thread from expanding and the refill still stays. Looking at my Apogee ballpoint, it also holds the refill on plastic threads.

This seems quite similar to the modern Parker Jotter (plastic threading) vs the older USA ones (metal threads). Progress

indeed of pen industry.

My Parker Sonnet sterling silver ballpoint from approx. 1994 has plastic inside too. It is stamped made in France and cost the equivalent of more than 100 cheeseburgers. Not what i expect for the money.

I could imagine that the managers of Parker or Cross do not use their own products, inferior as they are. It is so sad, because the quality of Cross and Parker used to be proverbial.

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

• 3 weeks later...

Jotter bp's and fp's are, just like the Vector fp, The IM/Profile fp and the Reflex bp and fp made in the UK. The Parker Urban bp is made in China.

In third world countries,like India,parker is taking up partnerships with local companies producing their jotter and vector line locally and are not afraid of admitting it,but they do take pride in printing "Made In U.K.\U.S.A"on their caps.This is cost effective,outsourcing production to cheaper places and therefore not focusing on quality.This causes a dramatic drop in prics and so allowing the entire population to thik that they have bought a lifestyle product but in fact they are just buying for the once great name that was Parker.Today a normal vector fountain pen sells for a hundred rupees or 2 dollars US,at a time,a jotter would be the envy of every pen enthusiast just like todays Montblancs,Auroras and Visconties.If you now look at the people on the street,almost 3\4th of the educated population is carrying a Parker,the entire point of a good pen is defeated.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it doesn't look (after a quick skim at work) as if anyone else has, let me state the obvious solution for those that hate globalization: vintage pens! Every pen in my overflowing pen case says made in USA or Germany, and every pen but two were paid in US dollars to a US private seller. This technology is so tough and enduring that I can't see ever having to buy a new fountain pen in my lifetime. And I have the added advantage of getting gold-nibbed, smooth, beautiful pens for less than the cost of ten McDonald's burgers.

I just got paranoid and checked. All of my fountain pen ink claims it is made in France. So my hobby remain low carbon and political prisoner free.

Steve

..... for those that hate globalization......

Steve

FWIW....... I care not about "globalization," the owner can manufacture the product anywere he wishes. After all most labor is garbage these days anyway and the quality of management is what determs the quality of the product. What erks me is that to shave a penney they engineer an inferior solution. If, manufacturing in a third world country, they save a penney using plastic and it makes a superior product, I would be happy, but they don't do that.

YMMV

FWIW....... I care not about "globalization," the owner can manufacture the product anywere he wishes. After all most labor is garbage these days anyway and the quality of management is what determs the quality of the product. What erks me is that to shave a penney they engineer an inferior solution. If, manufacturing in a third world country, they save a penney using plastic and it makes a superior product, I would be happy, but they don't do that.

I'm right there with you. I don't care WHERE it is made as much as I care WHAT is made and HOW it is made.

Unfortunately, for many companies, the decision to shift production from the U.S. or Europe to a third world company is often accompanied by a redesign of the product (to make it cheaper to produce) and a general reduction in the level of quality control (often because management remains in the U.S. or Europe).

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Cross and Sheaffer have both gone for overseas production. USA pen companies seem to be unaware that most pen buyers what the reassurance that the pen they intend to buy comes from the original pen maker with all the heritage that involves. Parker and Waterman brands are a bit safer mainly because the French have greater job protection and the exporting of jobs meets with a defence from their trade unions. Cross in the UK has also become very greedy. Up until October last year we were their largest internet mail order customer spending £60,000 per year ($110,000). They reduced the margin in Europe by 30% and expeceted that we would keep on trading. The Cross pens we now sell we import.

The trouble with such issues like the sub contracting of production to China is that reversing the decision is nigh on impossible. The great legacy of these brands will be lost forever Alonzo Cross and W A Sheaffer must be spinning in their graves.

Peter Ford

MrPen in the UK.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Are the Townsend nibs out-sourced to Pilot/Namiki or are they made in-house ?

I received a Medalist yesterday. It's the first Townsend I've ever handled, and I don't know who makes the nibs, but one of the first things I noticed when I rolled it over were the little "creases" in the underside of the tines that tell me "Pilot".

The pen is marked "Ireland" on the cap, BTW.

-- Brian

pILOT MAKES SOME NIBS/FEDS FOR cROSS, HOWEVER, THE CARAT GOLOD NIBS W/ FEEDS ARE pelikan, MANUFACTURED TO cROSS SPECS

The makers of fountain pens need to understand that a fountain pen is different from other luxury goods in that it lasts for decades and sometimes for generations -- unlike consumable luxury goods like single malt whisky or high end colognes, and unlike fashion-dependent luxury goods like clothing, shoes, and briefcases.

The buyers of fountain pens place value on craftsmanship and tradition. They honestly like the idea that the pen might have been made by the son or granddaughter of a person who made similar pens 25 or 50 years ago. They like the idea that the owner walks through the factory every day and knows his workforce. This is the business model that has worked for fountain pens over the years.

It seems to me that the American companies have been the leaders at moving away from this model. The Europeans have a bit more stability. The Japanese seem to have the greatest stability. Does anyone know if Sailor, Pilot, and Platinum are outsourcing any of their pens?

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

One of the interesting things about Cross is that it's a public company, and therefore must file certain documents with the SEC. Read the 2007 10-K filing. Contrast it with the 1995 10-K. It'll make a few things clear about what's going on with Cross.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing