Lamy 2000

emrecan

Also like you said, the Grinnell classroom environment doesn't hinder my uncapping abilities much.

How are you enjoying Stanford?

Ahh...college life. How quickly the years have passed!

TMann

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• emrecan

• RyanL27

• Bryan

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh...college life. How quickly the years have passed!

You got that right, Doc! :o I keep cranking away, here, but much to my dismay, I just can't seem to turn that darned clock back even a minute. :P

Ryan: From what's been said on these two choices, particularly considering how you're going to use it, the huge ink capacity overrides everything else. ;) Fill it in the morning and its nearly guaranteed that you not write it out that day. :D You are really going down two orders of magnitude in capacity :huh: between the two pens. The Lamy 2000 is on the large side of the large capacity category, whereas the VP is on the small side of the small capacity category.

Get with Pam and get a 2000. Later, when you're flush, get a VP also. It's just a wonderful pen and a lot of fun, assuming your grip will tolerate the clip placement.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

The Lamy 2000 is the pen I hate to love, but I do. I don't like new pens, funny looking pens (that is anything that does not resemble a Pelikan 400 - 400NN), big pens, hooded nibs, snap caps; if it wasn't a piston filler I would never have tried one. Glad I did. Its big but narrows in the grip for a perfect hold for me. Its a snap cap but a nice elegant design. Its not an old Pelikan but it is a very good looking pen (if an opinion has to be humble why bother?). How Lamy made themselves design a great shape with a really nice texture and then stop there without adding trim and doodads is beyond me. It writes great, holds great (the texture just feels better with age) and looks great. Other than free ink what more could you want?

How Lamy made themselves design a great shape with a really nice texture and then stop there without adding trim and doodads is beyond me. It writes great, holds great (the texture just feels better with age) and looks great. Other than free ink what more could you want?

It Bauhaus, pure Bauhaus design! Form follows function all the way. Thn again if you look at many of the Lamy lines they are very simple with no excess frippery. Anything more would have spoiled the lines of the pen.

K

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Lamy 2000? I tried to love this pen. I really did. But it was just toooooo slippery to hold. I couldn't get a grip :(

I sold it, but keep thinking that I should try again. But there are too many pens out there that I haven't tried yet :drool:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Lamy 2000? I tried to love this pen. I really did. But it was just toooooo slippery to hold. I couldn't get a grip :(

I sold it, but keep thinking that I should try again. But there are too many pens out there that I haven't tried yet :drool:

Nope the slippery grip is the one thing that people mention when they talk about this pen. It is sort of like the Vanishing Point. If you can't get past the clip location you are not going to like the pen as a whole.

That's the wonderful thing about pen collecting there are so many different styles of pens out there that if you don't like one in particular there are other possibilities!

Kurt H

How are you enjoying Stanford?

It's been an amazing experience so far, but intense. I haven't really had a chance to sit down and stare at a wall--or write a snail--since I got out here. There's just so much to do, so much of the time.

It looks like you got yourself a Lamy 2000 today on the Green Board. Let us know how you like it! I think you made the right choice. If your Sailor 1911m was red, you might have a Blue Carbonesque Vanishing Point on the way...

It looks like you got yourself a Lamy 2000 today on the Green Board. Let us know how you like it! I think you made the right choice. If your Sailor 1911m was red, you might have a Blue Carbonesque Vanishing Point on the way...

Yeah, it was quite odd and wonderful. I was about to order a new Lamy 2000 and decided to check the Green Board only to catch the "like new" 2000 for $60 just 5 minutes after it was posted. Needless to say, I jumped on it pretty quickly.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I do have a blue carbonesque on the way. Someone offered a trade for my 1911m, but I'm just waiting get the final confirmation before I list the Sailor as taken. I highly recommend the 1911m if you ever come across a red one. The nib is wonderful, but the pen was just too small for my hands. I hope to get a full size 1911 someday.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

The Lamy 2000 is a superb fountain pen. Yes, it's a quite a jump from a Vista or Safari, but worth it.

Thanks everybody for your opinions and replies :D .This is great news for me i love my Vista's and Safari's all of them great and reliable writers.If its going to be huge jump i'll be the most happy person on the PLANET B)

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

I've been looking at this pen for a really long time, but I've somehow never made the purchase.  Yet again, I'm trying to decide between it and a Vanishing Point, and I've reached a standstill.  Anyone have both of these pens with a preference for one over the other?

I have both the Lamy 2000 (XF) and the VP (M). My preference is the Lamy for day-to-day use, reasons being I love the feel of the 2000 and the huge volume of the ink reservoir. I've found that I can go for weeks of notetaking on a single fill. Also have had zero problems taking it on plane trips with no hint of a leak. The nib on the Lamy is actually a tad broader than the VP and lays downs a nice line with a little bit of variation. The VP is a little bit smoother. The Lamy nib has a little bit of an edge to it with a narrower sweet spot. The VP is a very nice pen, but the weakpoints are the lousy converter and a tendency to collect a little bit of ink in the flapper door mechanism. I typically use Noodler's Ottoman Azure as my everyday ink.

I've been using the VP as my stand-in workhorse the past few weeks since I dropped the Lamy on its nib and trashed it. I sent it back for a replacement nib and can't wait to get it back. The VP has been fine, but I miss my Lamy.

Overall I'd give the Lamy an 8.5 out of 10 and the VP a 7.5.

Hi,

I have to refill every two to three days because I write a lot. Same for my Pelikan.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

Just writing stuff in my diary, studying, and so on... I have an Extra fine.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I received my Lamy 2000 a few days ago and have been enjoying it all weekend. It's a wonderful writer with the medium nib, and I just love the feel of the pen in my hand; the larger size and light weight are unbeatable, and the nib is really smooth. This has very quickly become one of my favorites, and it's certainly getting a lot of use along with my new VP.

Question: Is the piston on your Lamy a little less smooth than a typical Pelikan piston? Mine doesn't move as nicely as my Pel. It doesn't bother me at all, but I wonder if a little silicone grease is in order...

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Hi,

No, it is not as smooth. I asked Lamy Germany to coat the insides of my 2000 with lubricant. Since my pen is not back yet, I can't say as much.

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

It is not roughness, it is just sticky. :)

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Dillon

Ryan,

Glad to know that you like the Lamy 2000. It's the only pen I brought back to Chicago with me for Thanksgiving. It's that awesome--though I have some pens at home waiting to be used.