A trio of silver pens

davyr

Three sterling silver pens, all very different: classic pens cp7 atlantic, sheaffer legacy heritage victorian, and aurora 88 with sterling silver cap. the cp7 atlantic is a limited edition of 250 pieces based on the sailor 80 model, a larger-sized japanese pen (slightly larger than the 1911 model). the sheaffer legacy victorian is sort of a limited edition, which is un-numbered but limited in production. as you know, it's from the good ol' us of a. the aurora 88 is a normal production italiano pen.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/764/dsc009687xv.jpghttp://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5346/dsc010312lw.jpg

the cp7 atlantic has a what's called a flamme vague guilloche pattern, engraved by a vintage murelli machine in france. it's actually sold as a pair along with the pacific from classic pens, retail $995, but is sold out. i got this at significant discount from the green board from kmlst moorthi, a stand up guy. the engraving for each respective pen is reminsicent of their namesake oceans, with the pacific having smooth waves, and the atlantic slightly choppy waves. what's special about this pen is its nib, which adds a $300 premium. its called the naginata cross emperor nib, and is specially hand ground by sailor nibmeister nobuyoshi nagahara-san himself. the point has an extra horizontal slit and has a metal bar (collector) on top of the nib, both contributing to an extremely generous flow of ink. the pen has golden trim and golden 21k nib. the bar overlies the nib engravings, which may bother some (not me). the point lays down a shockingly broad line, more like a brush than pen. flip the nib over and the point lays down a nice fine line. fun! cap unscrews in about 2 1/4 revolutions. clip is simple sword-shaped. due to the sterling silver, i'm wont to post it for fear of scratches. balance is good. total length 14.3 cm (5 5/8 in), uncapped 12.6 cm (5 in), section diameter about 3.7 cm (1 1/2 in). this is a cartridge-convertor.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9564/dsc009847ko.jpghttp://img505.imageshack.us/img505/2919/dsc014336vm.jpg

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9360/dsc010004st.jpghttp://img354.imageshack.us/img354/4550/dsc010146ii.jpg

test results classic pens cp7 atlantic

cap and body (17/20): beautiful guilloche pattern, top notch fit & finish

section (8/10): black resin, flared at end, comfortable, some may not like metal trim near nib

nib performance (18/20): very smooth, crazy wide line, an ocean's worth of flow, not your everyday nib

writing comfort (17/20): well-balanced, heavy metal, but pretty comfortable

design (9/10): beautiful engraving realized

value (7/10): pricey esp. when adding extra cost for the special nib, less painful if purchased second hand

filling system (6/10): ho hum c/c

total: 82/100 (100 would be the perfect pen)

the sheaffer legacy heritage victorian has a lovely victorian curlique design superimposed on a hobnail (clou de paris) pattern. retail is $450, street price $350. the only point available from penhero was a medium. the nib is integrated into the section, just like the other legacy models. the pen is monochromatic, with the nib

and trim plated in palladium. the 18k nib is very smooth and the flow quite generous. in the almost two weeks i've had this, there have been no skips or hiccups. it always writes on the first stroke. the cap is slip off and the clip a simple gentle curve. i don't post this one either due to the all silver construction - wouldn't want to scratch the handsome engraving. the pen is well-balanced, although somewhat stubby as this is not a large pen. the pen is 13.9 cm (5 1/2 in) long capped, 12.1 cm (4 3/4 in) uncapped, and the plastic section 4 cm in diameter. this has a typical cartridge convertor system.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/2536/dsc009890bz.jpghttp://img354.imageshack.us/img354/6119/dsc009808jj.jpg

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/467/dsc010066mv.jpghttp://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4425/dsc010189mt.jpg

test results sheaffer legacy heritage victorian

cap and body (17/20): finely engraved victorian pattern, very well made

section (8/10): tapered black resin, pretty comfortable

nib performance (17/20): reliable and smooth, good flow, no skipping

writing comfort (17/20): heavy metal, pretty comfortable

design (9/10): tasteful antiquey design

value (8/10): street price is a good value, more affordable than the classic pens editions

filling system (6/10): your typical c/c filler

total: 82/100 (100 would be the perfect pen)

the aurora 88 is of resin and sterling silver construct. the all silver model is unfortunately discontinued for some reason. the pen has simple vertically-oriented lines on the silver cap, with a bare spot presumably for engraving one's name. the pen retails for $550, but can be obtained at significant discount. i purchased this from bert at bertram's inkwell, who was kind enough to exchange the standard nib for an 18k italic nib from an aurora limited edition pen. a significant upgrade from a very nice guy! :) this is a very crisp italic point, with razor sharp edges. this allows for great line variation, at the expense of smoothness. it easily digs into paper if i'm sloppy and rushing. the 88 was created in the 50's, but it's style echoes art deco design. the trim is golden, and the 18k yellow gold nib engraved in curvilinear squiggles. the clip is curvaceous and ends in a ball. 1 1/2 turns and the cap is unscrewed, revealing an ink window - a nice touch. i post this one, as the plastic seems durable. balance is comfortable posted. this is a much lighter pen than the others due to its plastic construction. total length is 13.8 cm (5 3/8 in), uncapped pen is 13.1 cm (5 3/16 in), and section about 3.7 cm (1 1/2 in). although the section is semi-skinny (l prefer larger), it feels ok as the section flares out toward the nib. this is a piston-filler, and has a sweet reservoir which provides for another page of ink when the main tank runs dry. nice.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/6497/dsc009917nz.jpghttp://img501.imageshack.us/img501/60/dsc014516zy.jpg

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/4860/dsc010044jz.jpghttp://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4286/dsc010167zm.jpg

test results aurora 88 with sterling silver cap

cap and body (16/20): fine fit and finish, simple if not classic construct, visible ink window a plus

section (9/10): flared black resin very comfortable

nib performance (16/20): very sharp italic, does what an italic is supposed to do

writing comfort (18/20): partial metal pen so semi-lightweight, a comfortable pen to spend some time with

design (8/10): understated, classic design

value (7/10): about average for value.

filling system (9/10): piston fill, with extra reservoir tank goodness

total: 83/100 (100 would be the perfect pen)

so which do i prefer? depends. if i'm in a mood to write a letter and have plenty of time, i'll use the aurora 88. it's really not suited for quick writing such as required at work. it has classic good looks. if i'm in a show off mood, i'd whip out the cp7 atlantic, with its impressive nib. B) this one's definately not practical for work since the line is crazy fat, unless you turn the nib over. this one's fun to drive, with snazzy engraving. the sheaffer victorian is the most versatile with it's medium nib. the engraving is nicely done. some may say that it's a little effeminate, but i feel secure enough in my masculinity not to mind. :) alright, who's the winner? all of them...

Edited by MYU

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davyr

• winedoc

• PenHero

• handlebar

Hi,

Then I have a pair of dainty silver pens...A Sailor and an IPG.

You do not need to polish your pens right? (lacquer coating) I have to polish my pens once a week because my pen will turn graphite coloured. Nice pens you have there.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the pens.

I saw that beautuful Sailor on the GB. It 's a good thing for my checking acct. that it didn't have a narrower nib. :D

I have a plain Sheaffer Legacy heritage with a medium nib and really enjoy it. Very smooth wet nib and love the extra weight and girth of the pen without being too long.

That Aurora 88 has beautiful lines. Is it longer than the Optima, and is there an engraved imprint on the barrel?

Regards,

Jeen

Thanks for the review, Dave. Those are a lovely group of pens you have. Thank you also for showing a close-up of the nibs. When I first starting collecting pens, things like nib widths and line variation meant zilch to me, but ever since I started using my pens more and more, they have become more important. Your pictures really bring out the differences in the nib qualities.

Keep up the great reviews :)

Thanks for the review great pens makes me :drool:

Thanks

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

Great review, Davy, thanks. :)

Your photography is wonderful with one small exception. (Pardon the photographer coming out in me) Only the shots of the pens in their boxes make the pens look properly silver. The rest of the pics look as though the pens are golden. I suspect that your lighting for them was incandescent and, of course, incandescent, without correction, will skew the images in the color direction that I'm seeing. Should mention that nearby reflecting surfaces (walls etc.) that are strongly colored can make otherwise correct light shed a completely different light on the subject.

If you have Photoshop or one of its competitors, it probably offers the easiest correction for this. Otherwise, correction can be achieved with filters, changing the light source and/orlocation, and with some cameras, within the camera itself.

Otherwise, I really like your compositions, focusing and exposure control. If you can nail that pesky color temperature effect, you're there! :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Very nice review.

A small point - Sheaffer only offers the Legacy Heritage Victorian Series with a medium nib. Since the nib is no different than any other palladium plated Legacy Heritage nib, any dealer could swap it with a fine. Also - if you are really sneaky, any Legacy 2 nib will also fit, if you pull off the rubber gasket. Sheaffer only makes fine and medium nibs for the Legacy Heritage, but they just might swap your nib for whatever Legacy 2 nibs they have in stock. Contact them in advance before sending your pen.

thanks for the kind replies

You do not need to polish your pens right? (lacquer coating) I have to polish my pens once a week because my pen will turn graphite coloured.

no, none are coated. i polished them just prior to photographing them B)

That Aurora 88 has beautiful lines. Is it longer than the Optima, and is there an engraved imprint on the barrel?

i think its almost the same dimensions as the optima, maybe just a tad slimmer. there's no imprint on the barrel.

Only the shots of the pens in their boxes make the pens look properly silver. The rest of the pics look as though the pens are golden. I suspect that your lighting for them was incandescent and, of course, incandescent, without correction, will skew the images in the color direction that I'm seeing. Should mention that nearby reflecting surfaces (walls etc.) that are strongly colored can make otherwise correct light shed a completely different light on the subject.

If you have Photoshop or one of its competitors, it probably offers the easiest correction for this. Otherwise, correction can be achieved with filters, changing the light source and/orlocation, and with some cameras, within the camera itself.

i agree with you totally! although i'm using incadescent bulbs, they're reveal bulbs (color temp is supposedly close to daylight), but i suspect the light shades covering them are muddying up the color temp. i blame my cheapo point and shoot equipment totally! :P

i've been using ofoto to "fix" the pix, but obviously that's not enough. i'll have to dl photoshop onto my laptop...

A small point - Sheaffer only offers the Legacy Heritage Victorian Series with a medium nib. Since the nib is no different than any other palladium plated Legacy Heritage nib, any dealer could swap it with a fine. Also - if you are really sneaky, any Legacy 2 nib will also fit, if you pull off the rubber gasket. Sheaffer only makes fine and medium nibs for the Legacy Heritage, but they just might swap your nib for whatever Legacy 2 nibs they have in stock. Contact them in advance before sending your pen.

hmm, nice to know...

Thank you also for showing a close-up of the nibs. When I first starting collecting pens, things like nib widths and line variation meant zilch to me, but ever since I started using my pens more and more, they have become more important.

yes, same thing applied to me. i used to only get mediums, now i find i'm leaning toward broader points and italics. eager to try cursive italics, stubs, and flexy nibs.

Edited by davyr

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

• 2 weeks later...

just added some test results for giggles and grins...ymmv!

• 1 year later...

I have been looking for a Shaeffer Victorian and am happy it was reviewed here.My first "expensive" fountain pen was a Shaeffer Targa.

I still have it.Dug it out today and repaired it.Put in a new squeeze bladder(no converter yet)and a little nib work.Works wonderful!

Thanks for the review,even if it is 2 years on.

JD

Edited by handlebar