Report from the Ohio Pen Show

KendallJ

I made the decision aabout a weeks ago to try to make it down to the Ohio Pen Show. Yesterday was my big day. I live about 300 miles away so this was a 15 hour affair (4 hrs down, 5 hrs at the show, and another 5 back), but it was well worth the trip. For me, this was my 2nd show ever, my first being Detroit in 2004, which is a small show. I have met very few of the people you read and hear about on the net so this was going to be a treat for me.

The show, held at the Clarion Dublin Hotel, just off the 270 loop in Columbus OH, is the 4th largest show in the country, and probably the best in my area. 150 tables in the exhibition hall, an auction, a series of seminars all add up for a great afternoon.

I arrived a little after noon, and registered. My plan was to focus primarily on the exibitors. 2 rooms of exhibitors, a smaller room (the Metro room), and then a larger convention room. the hall between the 2 is also lined with tables. I headed to the Metro room first to say hi to my buddy Pam Braun [http://www.oscarbraunpens.com/]. (She was at Detroit last year so we've met before!) She and her sister (?) were manning the table, and we had a good chat. Pam said she was doing a brisk business, and as usuall had some great pricies. Giovanni Abrate of Tryphon Enterprises was also in the metro room, and had some great example of Filcao pens.

I then made my way to the convention room by "running the gauntlet" of dealers, and collectors in the hallway between the rooms. Bertram's Inkwell, and Shu-Jen Lin, founder of Taccia were stationed just outside the entrace to temp me with all sorts of modern pens. I also stopped and chatted with David Broadwell [http://www.david.broadwell.com/] who is known for his custom pens and knives crafted in various alloys, particularly Damascus steel. He had some great examples of his work there. David Isaacson was tucked away in the corner taking photos of pens. I stopped by Rich Kleinhenz's table to get a look at our own Bob Boone's titanium and wood sculpture "Spyra". It was an impressive pen. Rich has many kit pens in beautiful woods similar to the ones we've seen recently on the board by Old_Griz. These are really beautiful pens, and I'll probably have to get one at some point. Rich confirmed that the steel nibs are supplied by Bock, and the gold ones are also German-made. The looked identical to the ones the Old_Griz has posted, so I'm comfortable purchasing one of these pens.

Then it was into the main room. 3 rows of tables of mostly collectors, with a whole series of "anchor" tables lining the outside walls (Binder, Pendemonium, Sue Wirth, Luxury Pens, etc)

I cruised the collector tables first. I was looking for a user grade '51, thinking I'd finally break down and give this pen model a try (normally I'm a Vac or a Snork fan). Plenty to be had; however, I wasn't able to find one that "tripped my trigger". I was able to find a '49 Sheaffer TD with triump nib at a great price, and snagged it. Also, I picked up a '49 Sheaffer TD Desk pen thinking I could find a desk stand for it, which I later did. Now that I've done a little restoration, and know what I'm looking for, it was very easy to pick up some good deals. But, alas, no '51. :(

Of interest in the collectors rows, was Joe Cali's table of custom turned pens. He had a feature article in the Aug 2004 Stylus, and if you ever get a chance to see his pens in person, don't miss it! They are beautiful! He is a retired architectural designer, and now turns custom pens in his studio. The resins he uses are like no others I've seen. Some remind of marble or alabaster, others have anular layers so that the pen tops show concentric contrasting rings of resin. He then puts vintage (or Bexley) nibs on these pens. They aren't as much writing instruments as sculpture and in fact look like they belong in a custom designed home, much the way Frank Lloyd Wright designed all of his furniture and accessories.

No show is complete with out a stop at Sam Fiorella's Pendemonium table. I picked up some Clairefontaine pads, and two bottle of Noodler's ink (Firefly, and Iraqi Indigo), both of which I've been lusting after since they were reviewed here.

I then stopped at the "Parker Table" (or was it the PCA table) to talk with Geoffrey Parker. Geoff is the great grandson of George Parker, and he had with him some memborabilia and even some home movies of the Parkers, and the operations at the Pen works. I had a phenomenal conversation with him. Being a bit of a business history buff, I quizzed him on the role fo the family in pen design, what it was like growing up and if the family talked pens at the dinner table, and how Parker managed to capture the Presidential pen signatory business. That is a whole other write up in itself but the short answers for anyone who wants to discuss are:

a. Family was heavily involved in the design of their pens. Geoff said as the '51 design team was turning prototypes, that his grandfather Kenneth Parker was right there looking over their shoulders, and giving suggestions. His grandmother was a design consultant in her own right and had an unofficial role in advising on color choice, and proper positiong of the pen for the style and fashion of the time.

b. Pens were discussed at the dinner table!

c. Kenneth Parker met and befreinded Dwight Eisenhower on a Pan Am Clipper flight to Asia (he flew there often as he sourced his rubber from the region), and they discovered they each shared mutual interest in aviation. This was before Ike was president, but Kenneth followed his career and made sure he had an ample supply of Parker pens. The government sector's use of Parker pens was the responsibility of a jr. marketing executive name Joe Gibb, and he was a master at relationship building in Washington. Parker dominated govertment business in the 50's as a result fo his effort.

My last stop of the day was by Richard Binder's table. Richard was there adjusting nibs, and his daughter Kate was standing in as sales person for Barbara as who has been ill recently. For those of you who read Richard's Nib Noise, and know Don Fluckinger's Extra Fine column, Kate is Don's wife. I picked out a pen and waited in line to get it adjusted, and had a chance to talk to both Kate and Richard. Both are very personable people, and really enjoy talking to clients. The father-daughter banter was fun to behold as well, as Kate had to keep gently reminding Richard that he should *work* while he talks. David Broadwell stopped by the table and talk led to a possible collaboration (think Binder design with Damascus steel hardware). Maybe a custom job for Richard, but I know I was getting excited at the thought of a Binder/Broadwell LE.

I had been looking for a modern pen purchase all day without really having anything in mind. I hadn't been lucky enough to see anything that sparked me (although I checked everyone's offerings mind you....) I had passed Richard's table a couple of times, and looked at his pen offerings. I really liked my Taccia Imperial portuguese I purchased from him a while ago, and I trust the brands he reps implicitly. Nothing was speaking to me, and then I spotted some interesting resins at the bottom of the display. Taccia has introduced a sub-$100 piston filler (more correctly embedded convertor) with some very unique lines and resin selections. The new line goes by the name Andante. Anyway, I snapped up one of these, and Richard smoothed it out for me. It was a pleasure to watch him, and as an amateur nibmeister myself, I paid *CLOSE* attention to the master at work. I'll plan on reviewing the Taccia as soon as I get some writing time on it.

Bye to the Binder table and then off for home. I spent my entire allotted time (and budget) at the show, and if pressed probably could have spent more, but I had a 5 hr drive home. I'll post a pic of my "boody" once I get the vintage pens restored! For now, here are some pics I took at the show.

Pam Braun and ? in the Metro room. Pam remembered me from the Detoit show (or maybe it was the fact that she hears from me at least once a month ;) ). She is my "dealer" in every sense of the wordl, and keeps me "strung out" on fountain pens with her addicting prices.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/DSCN3595.jpg

Joe Cali and a selection of his beautiful custom pens. Too rich for my cash allottment of the day, but someday I think I'll have to get one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/DSCN3594.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/DSCN3593.jpg

Len Provistor and Geoff Parker (signing autograph) at the "Parker table". You can see the archived home movies playing on the laptop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/DSCN3596.jpg

Yours truly and Geoff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/DSCN3597-1.jpg

Richard Binder smoothing a client's (seated) pen, with daughter Kate, and discussing ideas for collaboration with David Broadwell (standing)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/DSCN3599.jpg

The master smoothing my new Taccia.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/DSCN3601.jpg

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger

• KendallJ

• tooloose-letrek

• Stylo

Thanks for the report Kendall. Really enjoyed reading about the Parker family. I'll look forward to your detailed article.

Maybe I'll venture up there next year. But it depends on how much I spend at the Toronto pen show. As long as Richard shows up there, then that's probably enough of the pen show circuit for me. CDN dollars too!

Fountain Pen Abundance

Thanks for the review Kendall. I live in the metro Detroit area and planned to attend the Ohio show today. I decided to work instead. I'm regretting my choice already.

Hi Kendall,

Thank you for an absolutely marvelous report and for the photographs. Pam Braun is a preferred supplier of mine as well :D, so it is great to see a picture of her too (first I've seen of her, btw; she seems to be a little elusive on pics :D).

Since I was wondering for soem time how Len Provisor was doing, I appreciate your picture of him too.

Last but not least is the one taken of a young lad together with Geoff Parker! :D

And like Karin I am looking forward to your full article! :D

Thanks again!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

And here is "the take".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/DSCN3603.jpg

I am most enamoured with the desk set. I just finished restoring it, and I think it will probably go to work soon.

Edited by KendallJ

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I headed to the Metro room first to say hi to my buddy Pam Braun [http://www.oscarbraunpens.com/]. (She was at Detroit last year so we've met before!) She and her sister (?) were manning the table, and we had a good chat.

I know Pam and I met her sister, and therefore I am asking you to correct your statement. Those two were not 'manning,' but rather 'womanning' their table. ;)

Great report, Kendall! I won't be going to any pen shows this year, so it's a treat to read a pen show report and to see photos of people I have only heard about :)

The Sheaffers look great (v. nice desk set!) and the Taccia pen looks intriguing. Looking forward to a review of it sometime in the future.

Thanks a lot for the writeup! Thanks also for Pam's piture. I finally know what she looks like :lol:

Edited by Stylo

Thanks also for Pam's piture.  I finally know what she looks like  :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Pam's picture, also, Kendall. She looks like a very together young lady. :) The quietly capable look is quite evident.

Did you find out what screen name she's lurking here under? :huh:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Didn't ask. I find it hard to believe though.. You got any evidence?

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I know Pam, living only minutes from her shop.

Some time after she joined FPN, she asked me my screen name and I made her guess. Unfortunately, she nailed me on the first hit. I didn't ask her what name she was hiding under.

Now, I might have to buy her Pelikan Gaudi LE Fine Nib before she'll tell me her screen/user name.

Didn't ask. I find it hard to believe though.. You got any evidence?

No, just the hearsay created when someone mentioned it a day or two ago.

Nothing wrong with lurking. Hardly a nefarious activity. Heck, if I were a dealer and didn't feel like eating up a whole lot of time to answer the questions that WILL come if folk know that it's you, I'd lurk, too! Just good business to have your ear to the ground.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

I didn't ask her what name she was hiding under.

Of course, she doesn't even need a screen name to just lurk :)

Nice report - thanks! Makes me that much more determined to hit the next Raleigh show.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I didn't ask her what name she was hiding under.

Of course, she doesn't even need a screen name to just lurk :)

True, but there are reader features that accrue to a registered user. One is the "New Posts" link at the top of each page.

For a serious lurker, that is one of those 'can't do without' features. :) I constantly use it to dig out the forums posted to since my last reading visit. It's key to efficient use of the board. That, in conjunction with the blue box icon just to the left of the title allows you to really rip through what has gone down since you last visited.

Those who criticize IPB software run boards as being too complex to navigate efficiently, invariably miss these features in their quick look at a board like this vs. one like PT. Too bad, it's their loss. :(

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Pam has my vote for supporting her decision not to talk on these boards. Anybody who knows her knows she tends to be a little on the 'shy' side. ;)